• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Hunger Games

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I just finished reading this series... and holy moly. I was practically glued until I finished (thankfully I started just after the third one came out recently).

Has anyone else read these? What were your thoughts? Any guess on the types of the characters?

I haven't spent much time thinking about types, but this is what I'm guessing thus far:

Katniss: ISTP
Gale: ENTP
Peeta: ENFP, maybe?
Prim: ISFP?
Haymitch: XSTP
Effie: ESFJ
Snow: XNTJ
Coin: INTJ
Finnick: ESXP
Beetee: ENTP
Cinna: INFX?

I could be totally off though. Pretty sure about Katniss and Gale though

Such Irony

Honor Thy Inferior
MBTI Type
INtp
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I just finished reading this series... and holy moly. I was practically glued until I finished (thankfully I started just after the third one came out recently).

Has anyone else read these? What were your thoughts? Any guess on the types of the characters?

I haven't spent much time thinking about types, but this is what I'm guessing thus far:

Peeta: ENFP, maybe?
Beetee: ENTP
Cinna: INFX?

I could be totally off though. Pretty sure about Katniss and Gale though

I loved the first two books and I'm on a long waiting list at the library to read the third. I agree with ISTP for Katniss and XSTP for Haymitch. I didn't get a strong enough read on the other characters to assess their types.

boondocked

MBTI Type
NP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I loved these books and Katniss is my favorite ISTP in all of fiction.

Taking from Steph's list (great job, btw, Steph!):

Peeta: ENFP, maybe? or ENFJ?
Beetee: ENTP INTP - didn't notice much of an extroverted component to him
Cinna: INFX? He seemed to be more of an ISFP to me - what with his sartorial flair and all :)

R

Riva

I've only read the book.

Katniss ISTP sounds right but we don't have much to go on do we? She is not going through normal childhood. So we could say that she is induced in to that personality by external circumstances. Then again if she is induced in to that personality and if that is what she lives by - maybe I am analyzing too much - maybe she is an ISTP.

With the book it's quite hard to type the rest. It's weird actually, books usually help to understand characters more than movies/videos.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I've only read the book.

Katniss ISTP sounds right but we don't have much to go on do we? She is not going through normal childhood. So we could say that she is induced in to that personality by external circumstances. Then again if she is induced in to that personality and if that is what she lives by - maybe I am analyzing too much - maybe she is an ISTP.

With the book it's quite hard to type the rest. It's weird actually, books usually help to understand characters more than movies/videos.

You have a point, but isn't part of how you respond to external circumstances and induced into a certain personality type indicative of the type you are? She may have another "true" type, but doesn't change the type she became regardless. I myself feel like my external circumstances shaped me into an ISTP. Or maybe it shaped me into an enneagram 9.... Huh. Maybe both.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
You have a point, but isn't part of how you respond to external circumstances and induced into a certain personality type indicative of the type you are? She may have another "true" type, but doesn't change the type she became regardless. I myself feel like my external circumstances shaped me into an ISTP. Or maybe it shaped me into an enneagram 9.... Huh. Maybe both.

I've only seen the movie.

I think Riva has a point that in fiction, characters more often than not undergo such hardships that one has to consider the circumstances when typing a person. However, In Kat's case, I believe her strong character and conviction is proof that she has taken her upbringing and increased her cognative function strengths in the area that were already natural to her.

People that lack conviction or struggle with internal wars and whatnot seem to 'push away' from their set type and become less like their true type, realizing or believing that their normal self is not needed/important/capable or whatever, thus often seeking the solution in controversial (mbti-wise) behaviour. Often through copying behaviour they see in people around them or seeking solutions through other methods (alcoholism, etc).

As far as Kat is concerned. I believe that in her case, her ubringing coupled with her strength and conviction is in fact the kind that only enhanced her natural cognative functions. Thus making the case for her being ISTP being quite fair. In fact, she appears to be *dramatic voice* ISTP OVERDRIVE!

Per example, I think Haymitch is the kind that unlike Kat has gone the other direction, he seems to have adapted behaviour that is deliberately pushing away from his true type. I beleve Haymitch is most likely a Judger. Not sure about the rest, that is a bit hard to tell from the movie alone.

R

Riva

Yes how people respond to external circumstances 'probably' is what shapes people into their personalities but if the conditions are so harsh / unnatural it would prevent some from truly expressing / developing into one's true self. One example that crosses my mind is when you / we intentionally avoid doing / practicing what's natural to us / what we desire. Extroversion - especially extroverted perception np/sp - might get the axe 1st, intuition next, js the next having to adapt fast adapt everyday etc. I could be wrong about that theory and is probably over analysing :p.

Elfboy

Certified Sausage Smoker
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes how people respond to external circumstances 'probably' is what shapes people into their personalities but if the conditions are so harsh / unnatural it would prevent some from truly expressing / developing into one's true self. One example that crosses my mind is when you / we intentionally avoid doing / practicing what's natural to us / what we desire. Extroversion - especially extroverted perception np/sp - might get the axe 1st, intuition next, js the next having to adapt fast adapt everyday etc. I could be wrong about that theory and is probably over analysing :p.

in my opinion, personality is much more nature than it is nurture

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
I thought it was pretty good, actually. Why'd you think so?

I'm not sure. I guess it just didn't do much for me. Probably because I don't fit well within their target audience.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I haven't read the book, but from the movie Katniss seemed far more ISFP than ISTP. She practically screams decisions made based on values rather than logic. I thought that was the entire point of her character, actually. She might be portrayed differently in the book, though.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I haven't read the book, but from the movie Katniss seemed far more ISFP than ISTP. She practically screams decisions made based on values rather than logic. I thought that was the entire point of her character, actually. She might be portrayed differently in the book, though.
Yes, she is very ISTP in the books. They are written in the 1st person and when you read her internal dialogue it's pretty clear she's logic driven. The value based decisions she made were done almost inadvertently. She saw there were more logical, tougher choices that would have benefited her more, but in the end she couldn't help herself. The point of the first book/film is that as things progress, her sense of empathy starts to challenge her selfish need to survive at all costs. However, you are right to recognise the importance of the value based decisions; in the following books the way they are viewed has a major impact on the story.

They also softened her a little in the film; she's a bit nastier in the books (although not to an alienating degree - actually, it was kinda awesome :D ). However, that nasty edge is more of a result of her rough childhood (which made her very distrusting and hostile) and the stressful circumstances, than her MBTI type. And even though she seems a bit sweeter in the film, I think her sheer level of practicality and improvised tactical abilities still makes her ISTP.

Katniss: ISTP 6w5
Gale: ESTJ 1w2
Peeta: ESFJ 2w3
Prim: ISFP 9w1
Haymitch: ESTP 7w8 (so damaged he sometimes seems like an introvert)
Effie: ESFJ 3w2
Snow: ENTJ 8w9
Cinna: INFJ 9w1
Caesar Flickerman: ENFJ 3w2
Mrs. Everdeen: ISFJ 9w1
Madge: IXFP

Finnick: ESFP 6w7
Johanna: ENTJ 8w7
Beetee: INTJ 5w6
Wiress: INTP 5w4
Mags: ESXP
Plutarch: ESFJ 3w2

Coin: ISTJ 8w9
Boggs: ISTJ 6w5
Annie: IXFP 6w7

ilikeitlikethat

You're unbelievable ...
MBTI Type
xNTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I saw The Hunger Games (2012), didn't pay too much attention to it, saw Lenny Kravitz, thought it was the/a Total Recall remake at one point, too -- until somebody told me otherwise.
Deep film though.

R

Riva

ISTP for Katnis was quite easy. Any idea what her enneagram type is? I am tempted to type her as an 9w8 but something tells me she is a 6w5.

Thanks southern kross for the feedback.

So i guess i was right. She is a 6w5.

And assuming she is a sp/sx (which come to think of it is obvious) my assumption about their counterphobic reactions being less or less apparent is right.

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
And assuming she is a sp/sx (which come to think of it is obvious) my assumption about their counterphobic reactions being less or less apparent is right.
Interesting. What makes you say that? Is this a theory or something you've observed?