• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Favorite Comedians.

Ender

Large Member
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
2w%
Just wondering what stand up comics other people like. I'm curious to know if theres any others out there that I may end up liking that I don't already know about.

Bill Hicks, George Carlin, & Lewis Black are probably my top 3 favorites right now.

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Demetri Martin is my favorite
i also enjoy Janeane Garofalo
and George Carlin.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Mitch Hedberg (RIP)
Lewis Black
Robert Schimmel
Sarah Silverman
Ron White
Dave Chappelle

Fifteen years ago I would have included George Carlin, but I think it's kind of sad how he's evolved from a smart perceptive comic into a sad old man yelling at kids to get off his lawn. He's finally let his cynicism consume him and turn him into a one-note political sledgehammer.

Comedy is very dear to me, so I want to also recognize those who make me laugh on a regular basis even if they aren't standups:

David Letterman
Conan O'Brien
The Coen Brothers
Nicolas Cage
Mike Judge
Richard Curtis
Chuck Klosterman
David Sedaris
Sarah Vowell
The writing staff of The Simpsons (I'll pretend the movie never happened)

scantilyclad

almost nekkid
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
usually beards do ruin it for me, or actually any facial hair ruins it for me, but i think it's unusually sexy on conan. I don't know whats wrong with me.

(brad pitt was sexy with a beard too)

heart

heart on fire
usually beards do ruin it for me, or actually any facial hair ruins it for me, but i think it's unusually sexy on conan. I don't know whats wrong with me.

(brad pitt was sexy with a beard too)

It does give him a pirate kind of look and I can see the appeal, but I like his strong jawline, I hate to see male jawlines hidden. That's one of the best parts of a man's face. :D

I am not a big into Brad Pitt myself, beard or no beard.

MBTI Type
INTJ
While I don't think the beard makes Conan look as good as he could, I like the idea behind it. He and Letterman started growing the beards as an acknowledgement of the writers' strike, not shaving until a settlement was reached. Letterman's side deal putting his writers back to work allowed him to shave his. Which he did on the air, and in typical style, spun comic cold out of a very mundane activity.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Letterman deserves credit for settling with his writers.

I agree, but it should not be held against Leno and Conan that they didn't do the same. Letterman owns the company that produces his show and Craig Ferguson's show, so he could personally take this action. Leno's and Conan's shows are produced by NBC, so they are impotent to take the same steps.

heart

heart on fire
I agree, but it should not be held against Leno and Conan that they didn't do the same. Letterman owns the company that produces his show and Craig Ferguson's show, so he could personally take this action. Leno's and Conan's shows are produced by NBC, so they are impotent to take the same steps.

I am not holding it against them. I do think that NBC could settle though.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I am not holding it against them. I do think that NBC could settle though.

I should have included that I didn't think you were holding it against them. I just wanted to illuminate the conditions that allowed Letterman to settle with his writers so that assumptions weren't made about the other late-night hosts. And we may not have to wait long for a settlement after yesterday's news that the Director's Guild has agreed to a new contract with the producers.

I'll get off this :soapbox: and stop hijacking the thread now!

CzeCze

RETIRED
MBTI Type
GONE
I don't find many comedians to be very funny. I like sketch comedy though (and did it in college). The original British Who's Line Is It Anyway? was hilarious, but when they brought it to the states it got way too cheesy. People would laugh hysterically at anything and it got way too hammy and one-liner-ish in a bad way.

I like my comedy with the acid wit of observation and understanding about the world -- other people, politics, etc.

Basically INTELLIGENT comedy:

The only comic I've paid to see is Paul Mooney! Funnay, though I didn't like how he inserted the random requisite Chinese jokes but he said he has every color in the rainbow in his family including Chinese so he's allowed.

Otherwise no way I'm paying money to watch a bunch of comedians.

I also love Kathy Griffin and watch all her Bravo specials when I had cable and a DVR.

Dave Chappelle.

Colbert is my journalist hero. That man has got some cajones. I cannot believe he called out an entire room full of journalists at the Bush roast for being a bunch of sycophantic cowards.

For me, mainstream comedy basically falls into 2 categories. People who mock things to criticize them, get you to think, foster change or uh just criticize them and it's a welcome change. They play with expectations and symbols and really cut the heart of things = humor.

And then there are people who emulate and exacerbate whatever 'taboo' topic they're on. I guess it's the difference between laughing at someone and laughing with them in a way. Is it progressive or backwards?

I honestly think you have to have a degree of intelligence to be funny and understand why what you say is funny, and some people just don't cut it. Ergo, if it's offensive, it must be funny so I'll reach for the cheap laugh like a hack reaching for my last straw.

So the opposite of the intelligent spectrum for me:

South Park
Sarah Silverman - Jimmy Kimmel - Man Show Triumverate
Mencia

Outside this paradigm:
I put Seinfeld outside my standard box for funny. He's funny in the observant way but like he says, his shtick is about 'nothing'.

Same with Conan. Also love how he pulls stunts on his guests, which sometimes PISS them off and he does it anyway!

Having said all that, I like dumb movies' but they have to be dumb in a certain way. I think there are too many movies that totally lose sight of what's funny and go compensate with being as gross, scatalogical, and nonsensical as possible.

Seriously, whenever there is a truly insightful or original routine, people jump on the bandwagon and copy it. Usually mangling it and only taking the trappings.

Chappelle --> Mencia
'There's Something About Mary' --> Most gross out comedies that came after

Alright, that's the end of my long rant on comedy.

And yes, I know everyone's sense of humor is different. :)

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't find many comedians to be very funny. I like sketch comedy though (and did it in college). The original British Who's Line Is It Anyway? was hilarious, but when they brought it to the states it got way too cheesy. People would laugh hysterically at anything and it got way too hammy and one-liner-ish in a bad way.

I like my comedy with the acid wit of observation and understanding about the world -- other people, politics, etc.

Basically INTELLIGENT comedy:

The only comic I've paid to see is Paul Mooney! Funnay, though I didn't like how he inserted the random requisite Chinese jokes but he said he has every color in the rainbow in his family including Chinese so he's allowed.

Otherwise no way I'm paying money to watch a bunch of comedians.

I also love Kathy Griffin and watch all her Bravo specials when I had cable and a DVR.

Dave Chappelle.

Colbert is my journalist hero. That man has got some cajones. I cannot believe he called out an entire room full of journalists at the Bush roast for being a bunch of sycophantic cowards.

For me, mainstream comedy basically falls into 2 categories. People who mock things to criticize them, get you to think, foster change or uh just criticize them and it's a welcome change. They play with expectations and symbols and really cut the heart of things = humor.

And then there are people who emulate and exacerbate whatever 'taboo' topic they're on. I guess it's the difference between laughing at someone and laughing with them in a way. Is it progressive or backwards?

I honestly think you have to have a degree of intelligence to be funny and understand why what you say is funny, and some people just don't cut it. Ergo, if it's offensive, it must be funny so I'll reach for the cheap laugh like a hack reaching for my last straw.

So the opposite of the intelligent spectrum for me:

South Park
Sarah Silverman - Jimmy Kimmel - Man Show Triumverate
Mencia

Outside this paradigm:
I put Seinfeld outside my standard box for funny. He's funny in the observant way but like he says, his shtick is about 'nothing'.

Same with Conan. Also love how he pulls stunts on his guests, which sometimes PISS them off and he does it anyway!

Having said all that, I like dumb movies' but they have to be dumb in a certain way. I think there are too many movies that totally lose sight of what's funny and go compensate with being as gross, scatalogical, and nonsensical as possible.

Seriously, whenever there is a truly insightful or original routine, people jump on the bandwagon and copy it. Usually mangling it and only taking the trappings.

Chappelle --> Mencia
'There's Something About Mary' --> Most gross out comedies that came after

Alright, that's the end of my long rant on comedy.

And yes, I know everyone's sense of humor is different. :)

Aaaaahhh, I can't believe you put "South Park" and Sarah Silverman on the unintelligent comedy list!