User Tag List

First 1234 Last

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    i think his beard is sexy! i love conan.
    Oh man, the beard just ruins it for me.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

usually beards do ruin it for me, or actually any facial hair ruins it for me, but i think it's unusually sexy on conan. I don't know whats wrong with me.

(brad pitt was sexy with a beard too)
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by scantilyclad View Post
    usually beards do ruin it for me, or actually any facial hair ruins it for me, but i think it's unusually sexy on conan. I don't know whats wrong with me.

(brad pitt was sexy with a beard too)

It does give him a pirate kind of look and I can see the appeal, but I like his strong jawline, I hate to see male jawlines hidden. That's one of the best parts of a man's face.

I am not a big into Brad Pitt myself, beard or no beard.

While I don't think the beard makes Conan look as good as he could, I like the idea behind it. He and Letterman started growing the beards as an acknowledgement of the writers' strike, not shaving until a settlement was reached. Letterman's side deal putting his writers back to work allowed him to shave his. Which he did on the air, and in typical style, spun comic cold out of a very mundane activity.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    Letterman's side deal putting his writers back to work allowed him to shave his.

Letterman deserves credit for settling with his writers.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Letterman deserves credit for settling with his writers.
    I agree, but it should not be held against Leno and Conan that they didn't do the same. Letterman owns the company that produces his show and Craig Ferguson's show, so he could personally take this action. Leno's and Conan's shows are produced by NBC, so they are impotent to take the same steps.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    I agree, but it should not be held against Leno and Conan that they didn't do the same. Letterman owns the company that produces his show and Craig Ferguson's show, so he could personally take this action. Leno's and Conan's shows are produced by NBC, so they are impotent to take the same steps.
    I am not holding it against them. I do think that NBC could settle though.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I am not holding it against them. I do think that NBC could settle though.
    I should have included that I didn't think you were holding it against them. I just wanted to illuminate the conditions that allowed Letterman to settle with his writers so that assumptions weren't made about the other late-night hosts. And we may not have to wait long for a settlement after yesterday's news that the Director's Guild has agreed to a new contract with the producers.

I'll get off this and stop hijacking the thread now!

MBTI
    GONE

I don't find many comedians to be very funny. I like sketch comedy though (and did it in college). The original British Who's Line Is It Anyway? was hilarious, but when they brought it to the states it got way too cheesy. People would laugh hysterically at anything and it got way too hammy and one-liner-ish in a bad way.

I like my comedy with the acid wit of observation and understanding about the world -- other people, politics, etc.

Basically INTELLIGENT comedy:

The only comic I've paid to see is Paul Mooney! Funnay, though I didn't like how he inserted the random requisite Chinese jokes but he said he has every color in the rainbow in his family including Chinese so he's allowed.

Otherwise no way I'm paying money to watch a bunch of comedians.

I also love Kathy Griffin and watch all her Bravo specials when I had cable and a DVR.

Dave Chappelle.

Colbert is my journalist hero. That man has got some cajones. I cannot believe he called out an entire room full of journalists at the Bush roast for being a bunch of sycophantic cowards.

For me, mainstream comedy basically falls into 2 categories. People who mock things to criticize them, get you to think, foster change or uh just criticize them and it's a welcome change. They play with expectations and symbols and really cut the heart of things = humor.

And then there are people who emulate and exacerbate whatever 'taboo' topic they're on. I guess it's the difference between laughing at someone and laughing with them in a way. Is it progressive or backwards?

I honestly think you have to have a degree of intelligence to be funny and understand why what you say is funny, and some people just don't cut it. Ergo, if it's offensive, it must be funny so I'll reach for the cheap laugh like a hack reaching for my last straw.

So the opposite of the intelligent spectrum for me:

South Park
    Sarah Silverman - Jimmy Kimmel - Man Show Triumverate
    Mencia

Outside this paradigm:
    I put Seinfeld outside my standard box for funny. He's funny in the observant way but like he says, his shtick is about 'nothing'.

Same with Conan. Also love how he pulls stunts on his guests, which sometimes PISS them off and he does it anyway!

Having said all that, I like dumb movies' but they have to be dumb in a certain way. I think there are too many movies that totally lose sight of what's funny and go compensate with being as gross, scatalogical, and nonsensical as possible.

Seriously, whenever there is a truly insightful or original routine, people jump on the bandwagon and copy it. Usually mangling it and only taking the trappings.

Chappelle --> Mencia
    'There's Something About Mary' --> Most gross out comedies that came after

Alright, that's the end of my long rant on comedy.

And yes, I know everyone's sense of humor is different.

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I don't find many comedians to be very funny. I like sketch comedy though (and did it in college). The original British Who's Line Is It Anyway? was hilarious, but when they brought it to the states it got way too cheesy. People would laugh hysterically at anything and it got way too hammy and one-liner-ish in a bad way.

I like my comedy with the acid wit of observation and understanding about the world -- other people, politics, etc.

Basically INTELLIGENT comedy:

The only comic I've paid to see is Paul Mooney! Funnay, though I didn't like how he inserted the random requisite Chinese jokes but he said he has every color in the rainbow in his family including Chinese so he's allowed.

Otherwise no way I'm paying money to watch a bunch of comedians.

I also love Kathy Griffin and watch all her Bravo specials when I had cable and a DVR.

Dave Chappelle.

Colbert is my journalist hero. That man has got some cajones. I cannot believe he called out an entire room full of journalists at the Bush roast for being a bunch of sycophantic cowards.

For me, mainstream comedy basically falls into 2 categories. People who mock things to criticize them, get you to think, foster change or uh just criticize them and it's a welcome change. They play with expectations and symbols and really cut the heart of things = humor.

And then there are people who emulate and exacerbate whatever 'taboo' topic they're on. I guess it's the difference between laughing at someone and laughing with them in a way. Is it progressive or backwards?

I honestly think you have to have a degree of intelligence to be funny and understand why what you say is funny, and some people just don't cut it. Ergo, if it's offensive, it must be funny so I'll reach for the cheap laugh like a hack reaching for my last straw.

So the opposite of the intelligent spectrum for me:

South Park
    Sarah Silverman - Jimmy Kimmel - Man Show Triumverate
    Mencia

Outside this paradigm:
    I put Seinfeld outside my standard box for funny. He's funny in the observant way but like he says, his shtick is about 'nothing'.

Same with Conan. Also love how he pulls stunts on his guests, which sometimes PISS them off and he does it anyway!

Having said all that, I like dumb movies' but they have to be dumb in a certain way. I think there are too many movies that totally lose sight of what's funny and go compensate with being as gross, scatalogical, and nonsensical as possible.

Seriously, whenever there is a truly insightful or original routine, people jump on the bandwagon and copy it. Usually mangling it and only taking the trappings.

Chappelle --> Mencia
    'There's Something About Mary' --> Most gross out comedies that came after

Alright, that's the end of my long rant on comedy.

And yes, I know everyone's sense of humor is different.
    Aaaaahhh, I can't believe you put "South Park" and Sarah Silverman on the unintelligent comedy list!