• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Can someone please explain...

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Why everyone seems overly obsessed about shows like 'Teen Mom' and '16 and Pregnant'?

What's with all the pregnancy hype in the media? I tried watching those shows, but all they did was piss me off. I have a list of why, but that's not the point. I just don't see anything good coming out of watching such a show. It doesn't make me laugh, it doesn't make me think, it doesn't make me feel warm and fuzzy inside, it just pisses me off!

Does anyone like these shows on here, and please explain why, because I failed at understanding.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
No one else sees it either?
That's good to hear lol.

Quinlan

Intriguing....
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Back in ancient times god/evolution meant that SFJs and the like must always be up in everyone's business in order to monitor the progress and ensure the safety of the other tribe members. Nowadays even celebrities/tv people can be feel part of the "tribe" so people keep track of what would've been significant tribal events (like a childbirth etc.).

This scientific fact is brought to you by the Quinlan Society of Evolutionary Psychologists.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Back in ancient times god/evolution meant that SFJs and the like must always be up in everyone's business in order to monitor the progress and ensure the safety of the other tribe members. Nowadays even celebrities/tv people can be feel part of the "tribe" so people keep track of what would've been significant tribal events (like a childbirth etc.).

This scientific fact is brought to you by the Quinlan Society of Evolutionary Psychologists.

Hmm...interesting.

Xenon

(blankpages)
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I gave up trying to understand others' obsessions a long time ago.

There might be something to what Quinlan and You'reWrongI'mRight said though.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My teenage sisters love the 16 and pregnant show so I tried to watch it once, but only lasted about 45 seconds. The people were just so obnoxious and immature (I realize they're 16, but come on). I imagine some of them end up keeping their baby and I feel so bad for that child. :(

It's an excellent argument for abortion, though. :cheese:

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
because, if you were a 45 + year old divorced American woman with pretty much no future prospects of ever getting married again and having children through any means other than artificial insemination, what would YOU fill your heart and days with? X-files and star trek reruns? They watch it because they want to be in those shoes - young and pregnant with all sorts of hopes to fulfill and adversities to conquer.

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
because, if you were a 45 + year old divorced American woman with pretty much no future prospects of ever getting married again and having children through any means other than artificial insemination, what would YOU fill your heart and days with? X-files and star trek reruns? They watch it because they want to be in those shoes - young and pregnant with all sorts of hopes to fulfill and adversities to conquer.

I believe the target audience is women 14-28...since those are the only people I know who are completely obsessed with shows like that, but then again I don't know any older women who watch it.

nozflubber

DoubleplusUngoodNonperson
MBTI Type
Hype
really? one would think many middle-aged women would eat up that kind of silly drama...

Maybe the teenage viewers gain satisfaction out of thinking of their pregnant peers as stupid whores or something?

Amethyst

¡MI TORTA!
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
7w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
really? one would think many middle-aged women would eat up that kind of silly drama...

Maybe the teenage viewers gain satisfaction out of thinking of their pregnant peers as stupid whores or something?

That's what I would assume, but they actually seem to approve, even envy the lives of the girls on the show, which I have no clue what the fuck that is...THEIR LIVES SUCK IMO!!!
I'm really sick of seeing facebook statuses saying 'Teen Mom, I'm so happy for *whoever* and they're having another baby, I'm so jealous!'
:sick: