User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

Default Running/Injuries

I like to run, and I was doing so for awhile before it just got too hard on my knees. I have crappy knees anyway; they just tend to hurt. I also know that women's bodies are not really build for running and that the structure of our hips ends up putting a lot of strain on the knees.

That said, there are women who run, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of some strategies to make it possible for chicks to run without destroying essential bendy parts. Shoes? Particular stretches? What's the secret?
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I've found good info at these two sites:

http://www.runningforwomen.com/

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

The second one is free. The first is a motivational (forced J) program, with good resources for members.

MBTI
    INFP

i run up dirt/grass hills. steep ones.

MBTI
    INTj

Keeping injury free really starts with shoes, I think. I have terrible problems with my arches, but when I got the right shoes it helped a lot. I'd get someone to help properly fit you for shoes and see how that goes.

MBTI
    INXP

Try to avoid running on hard surfaces. Sure, I'm a guy, but the principal should transfer to an extent. By running on grass, I've avoided bad knee problems.

Admittedly, I disappear down a rabbit-hole like Alice occasionally...

-Geoff

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Good footwear is essential. Also make sure your controlling your leg extensions. You can do all kind of harm to your knee by effectively kicking your leg out straight.

(Possibly preaching to the pious but what the hell, just in case you didn't know)
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTP

I'll back up both the grass/dirt running and the footwear suggestions. I badly injured both of my knees by doing the opposite - boots (and lousy sneakers) on pavement. I blew out my knees years later running on pavement (but in good shoes this time) - to the extent that I had to crawl about 1/4 mile to get home. My knees flare up occasionally, especially after a lot of walking. I did have a huge issue with heel-striking at the time (I knew it, but figured the shoes would compensate for it), so I'd also say be aware of *how* you're running.

If you're already noticing a problem, you might try dietary supplements, and integrating one of those low-impact elliptical machines, or something like a bicycle.
    JBS Haldane's Four Stages of Scientific Theories:

1. This is worthless nonsense.
    2. This is an interesting, but perverse, point of view.
    3. This is true, but quite unimportant.
    4. I always said so.

MBTI
    INTj

I've been running for years and have several issues with my IT band. If it is the side of your knee that hurts it could be this. A lot of my friends and I use a foam roller to help break up scar tissue and help with your muscles. You can buy a foam roller, they are great. I would also recommend icing anything that hurts after you run. I will often ice my hip, knee and feet after I run. I also agree that new shoes and replacing old ones frequently helps. I train for marathon so run an average of forty miles a week, I will change my shoes out every three months.

Signed: Mrs Dr Haight

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Oh, one thing I learned from the runningforwomen website is that if you freeze water in a paper cup and then tear off the top part of the cup, you can push down pretty hard and massage with the ice which works a lot better than merely resting an icepack on the site.

Thanks for reminding me of that, Mrs. Haight.

MBTI
    TiSe

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    That said, there are women who run, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of some strategies to make it possible for chicks to run without destroying essential bendy parts. Shoes? Particular stretches? What's the secret?
    There are quite a few good shoes Eileen. But more importantly, stay off the concrete. Is there a football field (real grass) close to run up and down, a park area, a good open field area?