User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Default ''Period Pieces'' - err, snatching a glimpse at menstrual art...

Uncertain if this belongs in the Sexuality/Mature Topics section, or the Arts/Entertainment one.. as I suppose it emcompasses both, in a sense.

So, I've stumbled upon a sort of unique artform.. and I have to wonder if some ladies have taken the concept of ''embracing their womanhood'' a bit too.. literally.

For those who are squeamish when it comes to this sort of thing, I'll just link you to a few examples of what I'm referring to:

Moon Wisdom: Menstrual blood art

A Journal of the Monthly Renewal Process

One woman talks of reclaiming our cycles as spiritual journeys.. and, you know, I'm not one to feel ashamed about body function; it is what it is. The human body. And, overall, it's a beautiful system. However, body secretions in general are pretty unsanitary. This is my personal reasoning for not feeling compelled to discuss it, ordinarily. If the topic's brought up, I don't shy away from it. I don't feel like I need to ''reclaim'' something I never lost.

I suppose it's just not anything that lingers for too long in the foreground of my mind.

That's not to say I can't understand how some women struggle with the stigma surrounding this particular issue. I'm all for growing beyond societal taboos, and letting go of shame, but.. yeah.. this just seems excessive to me, ultimately. I imagine I'd react with same sort of revulsion at someone using regular blood, or saliva, semen, and soforth to paint with.

It's obviously cathartic for a number of people, so, wonderful. I can appreciate the concept. They can do as they please, but.. it's certainly not anything I'd want physically nearby.

I'm curious to see what the rest of you think/feel about this form of feminine expression. And those females out there who are artistically inclined.. would you do this? Why or why not?
    Last edited by Vasilisa; 06-22-2014 at 08:03 AM. Reason: merged
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

figsfiggyfigs

That grossed the hell out of me ><

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

This is the kind of art that I don't consider art. It's metaphor is way to literal and unimaginative. It's provocative but that's about it.

Get a guy to cum on a dinner plate and show that in a museum. Same crap.
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

I would have died happy never having seen that. Each to their own I guess.

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

It's technically sound, but yeah, the concept feels a bit too personal to reach a wide audience. Like Trinity said, to each their own.

I'm a guy and this doesn't gross me out at all. I wonder what that says about me as a person...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Art is art I guess however the sight of blood makes me nauseous... Usually happens if I am ever to look or think of blood for longer than 30 seconds...

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp

I'm a guy and this doesn't gross me out at all. I wonder what that says about me as a person...
    that you don't mind a little war paint when going into battle?
    ~luck favors the ready~

Shameless Self-Promotion:MDP2525's Den and the Start of Motorcycle Maintenance

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

My own doesn't gross me out at all, I wouldn't mind painting with it if I saw a point to it (real paints work much better and the symbolism is lame to me).

But other people's, gross. I don't care if they do it, but I don't think it's art on its own (perhaps if it was a cool picture, but even then) and I don't want to see it in person. I'm not a big fan of "shock" art, even if this isn't really very shocking.
    -end of thread-

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by MDP2525 View Post
    Get a guy to cum on a dinner plate and show that in a museum. Same crap.
    I'll have you know that my piece was the main attraction in Museum of Eastern Uzbekistan's 2008 summer exhibition.

Just because you can't appreciate particular art, doesn't mean others shouldn't be able to enjoy it.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

How is this sanitary!??!?!?!
    Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    St. Stephen took rocks and St. Sebastian took arrows. You only have to take some jerks on an internet forum. Nut up.