User Tag List

First 678

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Warning: Gross

Any opinions regarding this:

Okay if you are making art use a medium worth using and make art worth looking at that says something other than I've touched my bodily excretions, what a statement! There is no 'shame' associated with menstruation so I don't get what that's about. Surely society has better expressions of creativity than mucking about with excreta.

MBTI
    InFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx

This reminds me of the scene in Ghost World where a student brings in a tampon in a teacup as her art project and the teacher praises it as "a shocking image of repressed femininity".
    Ghost World: Art Classes - YouTube

Most menstrual art I've seen so far hasn't been very impressive, technically (blood would likely be limiting and difficult to work with) or conceptually. However, I'm sure there's some out there that's visually interesting and not a simplistic and/or gimmicky P.O.S. (like the "literally facing my shame" one at the top of this page, which is IMHO laughably ridiculous, almost like it's a parody of menstrual art).

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Well, the ladies have to think of something creative to do for a week

It could be worse. I actually like a few of the design patterns.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

The thing with conceptual art is that it can be very underwhelming and schlocky if it's not technically executed well. Honestly, I think that Facing My Shame piece could be pretty impressive if she could finger paint worth a damn, and knew anything about taking a good photo, and played the concept out even more. It *is* supposed to be aesthetic after all. It scans more like a protest.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Qlip View Post
    The thing with conceptual art is that it can be very underwhelming and schlocky if it's not technically executed well. Honestly, I think that Facing My Shame piece could be pretty impressive if she could finger paint worth a damn, and knew anything about taking a good photo, and played the concept out even more. It *is* supposed to be aesthetic after all. It scans more like a protest.
    Maybe this is just my NT weirdness, but I don't even find a painting in menstrual blood to be all that shocking. I admire the Dada tradition out of which this kind stuff grew, but I honestly don't feel like it goes far enough. I don't know if that's just because it can't be shocking once the floodgates have been opened, or that there are less taboos, but I don't think this kind of thing has the edge it once had.

Now, if the menstrual blood had been used to paint something that somehow contrasts with the association with the menstrual blood in a truly disorientating way, that would be something. But there's got to be more than just the menstrual blood.

Same with fecal matter. Urine I do not think would work at all, unless perhaps it involved snow in a refrigerated chamber. Frank Zappa made a song about that, I believe.

What I would really like is to see a semen painting (I'm not even joking... you could do something like the sap of the Tree of Life at the end of The Fountain.) A painting with female ejaculate would be pretty shocking, too.

I think someone who deliberately cut themselves to make a painting in blood would be far weirder and shocking than circumstance where it is naturally excreted.

So there are a few avenues people could go with bodily fluid that are unexplored which would be way more shocking than this. When Marcel Duchamp submitted a urinal to an art exhibition, and labeled it "Fountain", people in the interwar were pissed off. It was genuinely shocking to people. For this to work, it has to be something that would have the equivalent reaction today. I don't think menstrual blood cuts it, given all the tampon commercials I've seen on network TV.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Maybe this is just my NT weirdness, but I don't even find a painting in menstrual blood to be all that shocking. I admire the Dada tradition out of which this kind stuff grew, but I honestly don't feel like it goes far enough. I don't know if that's just because it can't be shocking once the floodgates have been opened, or that there are less taboos, but I don't think this kind of thing has the edge it once had.

That's the point of what I said, as art menstrual blood could be so much more interesting than shocking, which has lost a lot of currency in this day and age. The artist couldn't see this.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Yeah I agree with this. Like she assumed the medium was shocking enough that it wouldn't matter that she's not any good at finger painting.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

That's the point of what I said, as art menstrual blood could be so much more interesting than shocking, which has lost a lot of currency in this day and age. The artist couldn't see this.
    Meh, I wasn't expressing disagreement, although I did word the intro oddly, I guess. Mostly I just wanted to come up with more shocking scenarios. I am fond of my snow-pee freezer idea in particular.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Meh, I wasn't expressing disagreement, although I did word the intro oddly, I guess. Mostly I just wanted to come up with more shocking scenarios. I am fond of my snow-pee freezer idea.
    Ah, K.