User Tag List

First 45678 Last

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Bunch of prudish philistines in this thread.

Something's wrong with you if you equal canned shit or blended goldfish with this, which you are doing if you believe these pieces were made to shock. Using blood as paint has given the pieces a look that you couldn't achieve with regular paint. This look is what should be judged, not what materials were used to create it.
    I wouldn't mind having one or two of these pieces hanging in my house.
    Can I sell you the latest rendition of "Fart in a jar" or "Specious Feces"? Both capture the essence of mankind.

FigerPuppet

Quote Originally Posted by Metaphor View Post
    Can I sell you the latest rendition of "Fart in a jar" or "Specious Feces"? Both capture the essence of mankind.
    Can I sell you a pair of glasses and this book? Both will make it easier for you to understand my post, and other posts in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by SmileyMan View Post
    Can I sell you a pair of glasses and this book? Both will make it easier for you to understand my post, and other posts in the future.
    Thanks for the tip but reading and comprehension are strengths of mine.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I was actually being serious.
    So was I. But why were you? You don't actually think I'm a "hippy" do you? Was it because I was talking about nature and god?

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    nifty.
    I love that thats the word you decided to use to describe what you think of paintings made of menstrual blood. 'nifty' i like you.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    This was the clarification I was hoping for on your part; just making sure you were aware that not everyone expresses that sense of personal connection to life, however they define it, precisely as you [or these artists] do. If I came off as abrasive at all, it wasn't my intent.. just probing to track your lines of reasoning, in a sense.
    No I didn't feel like you were being abrasive at all. I think I just got a little carried away with my love of blood and what not in the moment and ended up seeming like I think everyone should feel the same way hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    some don't necessarily need concrete reminders or practices to feel interconnected with the universe as a whole.
    that reminds me of this quote that i saw the other day, i liked it alot...
    "A happy person needs no religion; a happy person needs no temple, no church — because for a happy person the whole universe is a temple, the whole existence is a church. The happy person has nothing like religious activity because his whole life is religious."
    Last edited by priestessofmars; 08-26-2010 at 07:19 PM. Reason: wooops

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8

Pussy is special... to some of us.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Eh...I'm not that grossed out but I'm not impressed either. Choice of material doesn't make great art.

Quote Originally Posted by mnestic View Post
    I got in an argument with a woman about this once, several years back. I think she implied that because I'm not on board with painting with my menses, that I am obviously disgusted by my periods and bodily functions. :rolli:
    Oh yeah, that crap annoys me. Either you're in absolute awe of your female reproductive functions, or you harbor secret feelings of disgust over own body because you have been beaten down by our patriarchal society, and you need to be enlightened. I'm reminded of a discussion on another forum years ago, when those 'Seasonale' birth control pills came out that reduced the frequency of a woman's periods to four times a year. There was always some woman who was taken aback that some women would want to suppress menstruation. We should celebrate our periods! They are a symbol of our womanhood and the goddess inside all of us and our capacity to give life! We must grow out of these terrible, outdated ways of thinking that brainwash poor women into seeing them as an inconvenience!

I agree with what Lexicon said about overcompensation. I know there have been some ridiculous ideas about women and menstruation in the past: it was a curse, it crippled and mentally incapacitated women, it was something to be ashamed of. But what about...you know...just seeing menstruation as an ordinary bodily function? Just because something isn't a curse doesn't mean we have to see it as a blessing. Normal bodily functions can be uncomfortable and inconvenient (nasal congestion, sneezing, coughing, puking, diarrhea), and people don't think twice about altering or "suppressing" them when they are. And the um..products of these functions trigger disgust, especially when they come from a stranger. As long as we aren't talking about women's reproductive processes, no one sees anything wrong with any of this. I never see any accusations of a poor body image if someone takes a decongestant instead of revering the life-sustaining power of mucus. Or act like disgust over a stranger's used condom in the grass points toward an underlying hatred for men's bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by priestessofmars View Post
    How is it lazy and one dimensional? I think you just cant get over where the blood came from.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. Apparently, you either think menstrual blood paintings are deeply profound, or you are disgusted by vaginas. There are simply no other ways to look at it.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by priestessofmars View Post
    How is it lazy and one dimensional? I think you just cant get over where the blood came from. Did you see the second link? That art was truly beautiful not one dimensional/lazy at all. Maybe you're also just not big on art? Cause menstrual blood art is a very cool idea if you ask me. Its spiritual and original. And who cares if its sanitary? I saw an article about another woman who painted pictures with her blood and she seals all of them with some crap idk what it is, but it makes a barrier so that they're "sanitary." As for the woman who painted the drum, thats for personal use so it doesn't really matter if its sanitary or not, its hers.
    You seem to be attributing opinions to me which I did not express. I very much like art and consider myself a sort of artist. I never said anything about period blood being icky as the reason I dislike the concept. To me the "symbolism" is so obvious it's almost cliche. It's like some "girl power" concept. There's almost nothing symbolic - it's pretty straight-forward.

I checked the 2nd link - not impressed. It was "cute" at best (yes, I thought her blood was cute), but cute does not good art make, IMO. It would have the same value to me if she used paint, but without the cheap novelty factor of period blood.

As for the potential symbolism of blood, my own personal feeling is that its importance makes such art disrespectful in a sense. It's reducing it to a material. The way it's used here barely registers as symbolic to me anyway, as I said above.

In any case, I'm not impressed by the art, regardless of the material.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I personally think it's pretty gross and unnecessary, I wouldn't want it in my house nor would I like to participate, but I guess as purely conceptual art they do have a message they feel is important, and that's their right.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    EII

i rather like the idea. but i'm more of the opinion that if the artist created something with actual intention of being art and communicating something from the standpoint of the artist, then it's art. Art doesn't mean it's stuff ya like (or that ya have to like it) as many have pointed out. i think it's a little telling that people are either assuming that the medium is what is supposed to make the art and ignoring the artists inspirations dismissing it as such.

that said i'm not impressed with the drum, at least visually. i've seen stuff that i thought was much more visually attractive and resonated with me. Case in point, Vanessa Tiegs work that was also posted and it has a lot more to it than being shocking or a novelty. i'm also a fan of this piece.

"Restoration" is a very special piece. Its energy is the ashe of the orisha Oya'Yansa, who strongly came to my defense at the period in my life from 2002 through 2006. She is the Beautiful Warrior who grows a beard to go to war. She restores the universe with devastating winds of change and with her tornado she rips the foundation of unjustice and uncovers the dark, moist, and fertile soil of truth.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Introverted Feeling (46.7)
    Extraverted Intuition (45.7)
    Introverted Intuition (37.5)
    Introverted Thinking(26.5)
    Extraverted Feeling (25.4)
    Extraverted Thinking (22.1)
    Extraverted Sensing (19.5)
    Introverted Sensing (17.0)

MBTI
    INTP

I thought the first link was fairly ridiculous, especially with all the too-precious talk about Moon Blood. I could talk to that woman for about three seconds before wanting to hit one of us in the head with a fence post to stop the pain. I'm not grossed out by menstrual blood, but I don't really buy into the hippie Earth mother fascination with it. It just is what it is, to me. I don't care for the plaster casts made of pregnant women's bellies or any of that stuff, either. I don't see anything particularly artistic about the moon blood drum. It's just arts and crafts type stuff for a specific subset.

Also, apropos of nothing, this sentence kills me:

Quote Originally Posted by Hippie Lady
    For many years I have been collecting my moon blood by soaking menstrual cloth pads in water, and feeding my plants with this rich, nourishing soup.
    It's almost like a parody of this type of woman. I could see Catherine O'Hara playing her in a Christopher Guest movie.

The art on the second link was actually kind of beautiful, though. I didn't poke around on the site very long, but I'm not sure it was actually painted with blood. I think it may have been painted to look like it was painted with blood. Which I'm actually kind of more on board with as a symbolic thing. There's something about painting with the actual blood that's too on-the-nose.
    Something Witty