User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Goosebump View Post
    Movie
    Juno: She's pregnant and she's a badass. Cool story bro. I like the stink-eye the Mother Teresa reference and that's about it.
    Ooh, I didn't like that movie either! I went to see it with my friends, and they were laughing their heads off the entire time...I didn't see what was so funny, honestly. There were only about two or three things that made me chuckle. But, that's it, just chuckling. I didn't fall into a hysterical fit of laughter.

MBTI
    INFP

That movie was awesome.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by musicnerd93 View Post
    Ooh, I didn't like that movie either! I went to see it with my friends, and they were laughing their heads off the entire time...I didn't see what was so funny, honestly. There were only about two or three things that made me chuckle. But, that's it, just chuckling. I didn't fall into a hysterical fit of laughter.
    Just because a movie is popular doesn't mean it's overrated, and just because a movie is not popular doesn't mean it's good or bad.

I loved Juno, I found it pretty refreshing AND consistently funny (and esp seeing Jason Bateman in a role where he finally seemed to be natural)... but I understand it might not be someone else's cup of tea. What's that have to do with whether it's overrated or not?

Then again, I just saw Scott Pilgrim last night and thought it hilarious. But I've see movies like Zoolander or There's Something About Mary or Father of the Bride and thought they were as exciting as cold stale generic-brand toaster pastries. Whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by musicnerd93 View Post
    And, yes, I'll also add Glee to the list. I especially hate when they cover classic songs and then everyone thinks that that show is where the songs originated from.
    I'll warn you now that it only gets worse, the older you get.

I got it beaten out of me when people who never read Lord of the Rings saw the movies and didn't even realize there were books.

Glee's better when they actually cover the song in a new way (e.g., Poker Face) rather than just mimicking the old.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    It's not supposed to be any of those things. It's supposed to be entertaining. And I found it damn entertaining. You can take issue with Dan Brown's writing skills if you want to nitpick, but the concept and the plot are utterly compelling.
    Never saw/read it, never wanted to see/read it... but I agree with this. It's entertainment that I just don't happen to be much interested in while some others will enjoy it.

I only got irked that some people can't tell the difference between entertainment and historical fact... or that they learn all their history from fictional movies/books.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosebump View Post
    Up: Charming movie but doesn't have that much substance.
    Maybe it's different after you've grappled with a long marriage and imagine what it might be like if your spouse dies before you realize all your dreams together... and what a hole it will leave in your life. (While the middle is more fun and fluffy, true, the opening and ending left me in tears.)

Twilight series: It sucks and most people know it sucks. The first book was interesting and it goes down hill from there.
    Never read the books, but since I was expecting a piece of crap trendy movie, I was surprised to find it merely bland instead. The baseball game was kinda cute, and having a vampire boyfriend who can fly you around and defend you against your detractors is sort of the secret dream of all starry-eyed teenage girls.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    I liked Titanic. I didn't think Avatar was the most boring movie I've ever seen, but definitely overrated. Sure, it had cool effects, but it's the same story we've heard a thousand times.
    It was what it was. I enjoyed it for what it was... and it was awesome in3D... but when I was done enjoying it, I haven't had any interest in watching it again.

The Lovely Bones
    I enjoyed the book immensely, but it's more her style that I enjoyed rather than the book itself, and I'm not sure why it took off in the mainstream.

... all in all, I don't really have much to contribute to the list because I think most of the items would be decent/worthwhile if they just weren't hyped, and I hate the impression that is given that there is something inherently wrong with something just because it's been overhyped by others.

Even Katy Perry or Lady Gaga have value if they are just seen as what they are -- women who know how to write songs with catchy hooks and how to control their media image for maximum splash. They're talented in that way, and their music is fun for what it is.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Just because a movie is popular doesn't mean it's overrated, and just because a movie is not popular doesn't mean it's good or bad.

I loved Juno, I found it pretty refreshing AND consistently funny (and esp seeing Jason Bateman in a role where he finally seemed to be natural)... but I understand it might not be someone else's cup of tea. What's that have to do with whether it's overrated or not?
    What the people in your location are like make all the difference. Here where I live, it's certainly overrated. Everyone RAVES about Juno. Apparently, it's the greatest film ever made, and how did we ever survive before it? I don't think it was the greatest movie ever made. It was just "o.k" and that's it. Strictly my own opinion. I loved the soundtrack. But, I wouldn't watch the whole movie over just to hear the music. (I'd buy the soundtrack!)

I'll warn you now that it only gets worse, the older you get.

I got it beaten out of me when people who never read Lord of the Rings saw the movies and didn't even realize there were books.

^ Yes! That would irritate the crap out of me. Same with people who see movies like "Across The Universe" and "Mama Mia!" and don't realize that they were real songs by a real group of people...Not original songs made up by the people who wrote the screenplay.

It's not supposed to be any of those things. It's supposed to be entertaining. And I found it damn entertaining. You can take issue with Dan Brown's writing skills if you want to nitpick, but the concept and the plot are utterly compelling.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Is the book as ridiculous as the film?
    The film was not as successful as the book, in my opinion. I'm not one who thinks the book is always better than the movie by default, but in this case I think it's true. The book was very cinematic and could have made a very entertaining film if it didn't take itself so seriously. Actually, I think that's a source of a lot of the criticism of Dan Brown's novels. They're really pulp fiction, but are presented as more than that.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

The film was not as successful as the book, in my opinion. I'm not one who thinks the book is always better than the movie by default, but in this case I think it's true. The book was very cinematic and could have made a very entertaining film if it didn't take itself so seriously. Actually, I think that's a source of a lot of the criticism of Dan Brown's novels. They're really pulp fiction, but are presented as more than that.
    I was surprised at how much I liked the book. It was fun and interesting and kind of read like a smart action movie. The movie lacked the exciting pace of the book, though, and got bogged down in its explanations of references, etc. I thought the Angels and Demons movie was much better, like they learned their lesson from the first outing.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    STFU

lady caca
    stephanie meyer's existence
    i'll jump on the bandwagon and say catcher in the rye is some trite garbage
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

MBTI
    INTP

This thread is awesome

Twilight: overrated only because some consider it a "saga"

Titanic: worth seeing one time before you die

West Side Story: spare me whimsical gangsters, please.

The Wizard of Oz: I like it. I pooped my pants one Christmas while it was playing...

Harry potter: not as violent to be as popular as it is. and does Voldemort know what he's missing by not having a nose?

haha Catcher in the Rye: waste of time when I realised I was surrounded by people in similar situations. still worth reading tho

Katy Perry/Lady Gaga (how has no one mentioned this creature?): They are overrated because their music is DEFINITELY overrated

Anyone who stars in any show for MTV: overrated.

Avatar: Whack as shit! I was embarassed when so many people saw it in 3D in theaters. But then I soon realised I wasn't missing out on much. Too much hype to live up to.

Dane Cook: hahaha... overrated. How did he get a movie role opposite Jessica Simpson? Speaking of which...

Jessica/Ashley Simpson: crappy music destines you for overrated-ness

Man Vs Food: overrated because its the same guy. the same flavor-descriptive glutton of a guy...

I can see I am beginning to rant. Sorry.:steam:
    Last edited by quamdel; 08-29-2010 at 09:00 PM. Reason: had to fix that shit

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

You're right that it's not supposed to be any of those things- but that's one reason I found it overrated. The reason I read it was because people were "rating" it as intellectual, factual, and enlightening, and it was none of the above. Plus, it was just badly written. You're correct that the concept and plot were cool on a macro level, but on a micro level, the writing was just straight up bad. I was compelled to finish it, though. I kept thinking "This book is terrible! I wonder what will happen next?" *flip flip flip stay up all night reading*
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by r.a View Post
    i'll jump on the bandwagon and say catcher in the rye is some trite garbage
    yea that book sucked for chrissake

i've also asked some of my friends why they like twilight, supposedly they're terrible books but a guilty pleasure at the same time
    Weathergirl: District 38 is sunny. Slight rock showers this morning. Chance of rock showers into the afternoon—20 percent. District 39 is cloudy. Chance of rock showers this afternoon—10 percent.
    Edward: Bebop here here! Alright woo hoo!
    Weathergirl: Chance of rock showers today upgraded to 90 percent.
    Edward: Really.