User Tag List

First 891011 Last

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

As much as I like the movie "To Kill a Mockingbird", I wasn't particularly fond of the book. "Lord of the Flies" also comes to mind, although the more disturing parts as well as the very end were quite good.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Never seen Katy Perry has particularly highly rated, so can't say I agree with that one.

Lady Gaga, I see the appeal, though a lot of her songs are very generic, she is one of the best live pop performers I've seen (on TV). But I don't listen to pop radio a lot, so I guess I'm not inundated.

Overrated: The Bible, <i>Siddhartha</i> by Herman Hesse, toe socks (not to be confused with tabi socks), stripes, blue, err... what were we talking about again?

Sniffles

Da Vinci Code. Boring story line.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Deja Vu View Post
    All of you are overrated.
    don't be hatin'
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INFP

It's really hard to be unbiased about this, but i think any time a movie/book/band has mainstream success while maintaining artistic integrity and the work goes beyond the superficiality that's so prevalent in the mainstream media, it will appeal to a large number of people who haven't seen/read/heard anything like it before, simply because they haven't encountered it yet. Quite often, the result is that people become absolutely ecstacic about something and talk about it as if it's totally unique, while its most unique aspect is the fact that it's commercially successful.

The best/worst example i can think of is the band Tool. I actually like Tool and own all of their albums except for the first, but they have fans who treat their music as if it holds some kind of metaphysical secret and if you disagree, it's because you don't "understand".
    ik sprokkel wat dagen, drop baggage,
    soms heb ik geen zin om die koffers te dragen,
    ik laat los, los het op, word onzichtbaar
    en geef de buitenlucht wat ruimte terug
    dus.. nu zit ik op m'n fiets alsof het niets is,
    maar niets kan toch niet uit zichzelf pedalen laten draaien?

~ Typhoon

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Peguy View Post
    I didn't mind Moby Dick personally.
    I intend to read it soon. My ENfP friend says it's his favorite book.

It's a travesty that Jersey Shore's premiere has four times the viewership of Mad Men.

Also, that goddamn annoying kid from Two and a Half Men makes more per episode than Jon Hamm or Steve Carell. Let's set this straight: Two and a Half Men is awful.

Obviously, whoever the sex bomb of the month is in any category is almost always overrated: used-to-bes like Jessica Alba to her modern day equivalents like Megan Fox or those Twilight guys. Can't act, only marketable skill is looking good: be models. Easy. Musicians can also be like this, usually pop musicians with simplistic lyrics. No one will remember any of these people in five years when there's a new one.

Avatar. When the special effects of lower-budget films catch up with and pass that movie while also having better constructed plots, themes, messages, characters and performances, people are probably gonna have to admit the only reason it was popular at all was aesthetic. (Note: It isn't terrible, it's just very generic in all areas aside from visuals)
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Klingon Warrior Princess Patches's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by ZPowers View Post
    Avatar. When the special effects of lower-budget films catch up with and pass that movie while also having better constructed plots, themes, messages, characters and performances, people are probably gonna have to admit the only reason it was popular at all was aesthetic. (Note: It isn't terrible, it's just very generic in all areas aside from visuals)
    Hey now. Avatar had a great storyline.

The only problem is Pocahontas had it first.
    “Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

~

Stephen King is over-rated. It takes him a chapter what could be written in one paragraph. Deathly boring.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Aw. That's one reason why I think he's interesting.

It's a story, not a term paper.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    ILE

James Joyce...stream of conscious mutherfuk. Take some Ritalin boyho.
    I redact everything I have written or will write on this forum prior to, subsequent with and or after the fact of its writing. For entertainment purposes only and not to be taken seriously nor literally.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Spamtar - a strange combination of boorish drunkeness and erudite discussions, or what I call "an Irish academic"