• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anyone seeing Cloverfield this weekend?

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I've been keeping an eye on their viral marketing campaign, and it has gotten me pretty interested. I've always been a huge monster movie fan, but not really a horror or gore fan. I find that the recent "monster" type movies have pushed the envelope too far into the "holy crap, that's gross" from the "OMG what do we do?" genre.

I never really watched Lost, but I definitely enjoyed Alias, and I am really curious to see the film work of the guy in charge of the next Star Trek.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I may see it next Tuesday. No spoilers! :D

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
They had me at "teaser trailer."

MBTI Type
INTJ
I have high hopes for it. The whole idea of a monster movie shot from the POV of ground level people, experiencing it as they do, intrigues me. We've all seen the wide angle shots of mass destruction enough times.

Not to mention, it's a clever way to slash the budget!

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
That's exactly what I was thinking. It honestly kills two birds with one stone. You've never seen a monster movie (not horror movie) from the victims perspective, and you've never seen one that doesn't overtly glorify the monster in typical CG Hollywood fashion.

Hopefully they pull it off. I will definitely rely on any others that see it to discern whether it was good or bad, because I tend to like every movie I see (yes, Waterworld is still a favorite)

Tigerlily

unscannable
MBTI Type
TIGR
Enneagram
3w4
I may see it next Tuesday. No spoilers! :D
Really? Me too!
w00t.gif

Impressive how they've managed to keep it a secret. Is it an alien attack, Godzilla? We shall see! :D

I was actually thinking of creating a new release movie thread since I think I found a movie buddy to go with now. :alttongue: Maybe we can change the thread title or combine them? Great thread btw! :)

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I can change the title I think, just let me know.

There's actually a HUGE web marketing campaign that's been going on for this since Transformers came out last summer. Not sure if you all have been into the ARG world (Alternate Reality Game) but they've done some stuff with this movie that's been pretty intense and gives a lot of insight to the back story of the movie.

Some spoilers here, but if you're interested, IGN: Cloverfield: A Viral Guide

Ties some Alias icons into the movie.

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
For example, just watched the videos that Jaime put up for Teddy, and she's a weirdo. The fact that I get to see these people's weirdness before I see the movie is genius.

Grayscale

MBTI Type
ISTP
the marketing campaign reeks of blair witch.

pseudo-documentary of a monster attack on a city? awful... :dry:

Mempy

Mamma said knock you out
My thoughts were along the lines of Gray's, actually. I thought the movie looked cheaply made and would probably prove disappointing, so I hadn't even given a thought to going to see it.

But seeing that you guys have high hopes for it rekindles my hope a bit. If someone does see it, tell us what you think?

MBTI Type
INTJ
the marketing campaign reeks of blair witch.

pseudo-documentary of a monster attack on a city? awful... :dry:

I hope the marketing campaign does not color your opinion of the movie. Personally, I really dislike viral marketing. I think it takes away from the novelty of the movie itself, and makes people sick of it before it is released.

I think the idea of a monster movie done in documentary style is intriguing. We've seen a million monster movies, but none done quite this way. After all, most good movies are not original ideas...they're the same old ideas done in a new way.

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
Being that I work in marketing, I love the viral spin to it. I also loved the Blair Witch marketing scheme, however devious it was.

Something about creating a universe or back story before a film is released is so much cooler to me than just throwing up a poster with a release date basically saying "Please see our movie".

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I plan on seeing it tomorrow. I love the idea.

I just hope the morons don't think this was based on actual events the way they thought Blair Witch was.

arcticangel02

To the top of the world
MBTI Type
eNFP
It's not exactly easy to believe that some monster attacking NYC would be based on actual events. ;)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's not exactly easy to believe that some monster attacking NYC would be based on actual events. ;)

And it's not exactly easy to believe that there are supernatural forces in the woods, either. My point is that people are stupid.

Rohsiph

MBTI Type
lego
I've been surprised at the amount of negative expectations I've been seeing towards the imminent release over the last few weeks . . . the teaser before Transformers was my favorite part of seeing Transformers this summer. Saw that with two NF friends, and we all agreed the intrigue surrounding the then-unnamed short far surpassed the intellectual value of Transformers.

I'm hoping to see it tomorrow . . . the friend I planned on seeing it with is ill, but another mutual friend wants to fill his place. My choice will be whether to wait for the one friend to get better or not . . .

SolitaryPenguin

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
9w1
I've been surprised at the amount of negative expectations I've been seeing towards the imminent release over the last few weeks . . . the teaser before Transformers was my favorite part of seeing Transformers this summer. Saw that with two NF friends, and we all agreed the intrigue surrounding the then-unnamed short far surpassed the intellectual value of Transformers.

I'm hoping to see it tomorrow . . . the friend I planned on seeing it with is ill, but another mutual friend wants to fill his place. My choice will be whether to wait for the one friend to get better or not . . .

That's the same point I started my fascination with this movie, seeing Transformers (although putting "intellectual value" and "Transformers" in the same sentence makes my head hurt) I saw that teaser, and I was immediately hooked.

I actually was hoping at that point that the whole movie was filmed through the eyes of a dodgy HI 8 camera.