User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    lego

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryPenguin View Post
    That's the same point I started my fascination with this movie, seeing Transformers (although putting "intellectual value" and "Transformers" in the same sentence makes my head hurt) I saw that teaser, and I was immediately hooked.

I actually was hoping at that point that the whole movie was filmed through the eyes of a dodgy HI 8 camera.
    The three of us went to a diner after seeing a pretty late screening. We tried pretty hard to mine anything intellectual, but kept returning to our disappointments having loved the animated version when we were kids.

The closest we got was trying to staple an idea of "humans coming to terms with a confirmation of intelligent/advanced extraterrestrial life in the universe," but even that barely held on.

It was a lot easier, from less than five minutes of largely contextless footage, to dig into the Cloverfield teaser

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I've watched that movie 16 times since it hit DVD. I think I am attached to it just out of the pure awesomeness of watching Prime talk.

Cloverfield holds the same draw to me. I am simple though. If I want intellect, I will traverse the movies and go straight to the diner.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

People who bash the intellectual value of Transformers apparently do not understand that the ingenuity lies not in the movie but in the visual effects. Damn BAFTA bastards make me sick.

What is with them nominating The Golden Compass for the Best Special Visual Effects BAFTA award? That movie was just a silly showcase for the Coca-Cola bears!!! Transformers was easily superior in that category.

If Transformers doesn't get an Oscar nomination for Best Visual Effects then I'll probably never get over it...and I'll bitch about it for the rest of my life. I will wage war against the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences if this does not happen.

Apparently the trailer for the J.J. Abrams Star Trek movie will be in front of Cloverfield. ILM is working on that, too! They're also working on Speed Racer and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! See? Not to mention Iron Man and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull! George Lucas rocks!

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Grayscale View Post
    the marketing campaign reeks of blair witch.

pseudo-documentary of a monster attack on a city? awful...
    That's funny, it did remind me of Blair Witch. Blair Witch meets a colonoscopy. It was pure sh#t. I feel I have a moral obligation to warn you people to stay away.

At least Blair Witch had an excuse, it was shot on like $56K. Here...I don't know what the deal was. I would've hated to have to sit through some of the earlier incarnations of this thing. Honestly people, you were warned!!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by spartan26 View Post
    That's funny, it did remind me of Blair Witch. Blair Witch meets a colonoscopy. It was pure sh#t. I feel I have a moral obligation to warn you people to stay away.

At least Blair Witch had an excuse, it was shot on like $56K. Here...I don't know what the deal was. I would've hated to have to sit through some of the earlier incarnations of this thing. Honestly people, you were warned!!
    Let me guess, you are a moviegoer struggling to get into showbiz, yes?

MBTI
    lego

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    People who bash the intellectual value of Transformers apparently do not understand that the ingenuity lies not in the movie but in the visual effects. Damn BAFTA bastards make me sick.

What is with them nominating The Golden Compass for the Best Special Visual Effects BAFTA award? That movie was just a silly showcase for the Coca-Cola bears!!! Transformers was easily superior in that category.

If Transformers doesn't get an Oscar nomination for Best Visual Effects then I'll probably never get over it...and I'll bitch about it for the rest of my life. I will wage war against the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences if this does not happen.

Apparently the trailer for the J.J. Abrams Star Trek movie will be in front of Cloverfield. ILM is working on that, too! They're also working on Speed Racer and Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince! See? Not to mention Iron Man and Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull! George Lucas rocks!
    The redeeming value of Transformers is in the special-effects work. It's a shame so much of it is so hard to see thanks to Bay's quick-cuts.

It doesn't necessarily make Transformers a waste of time that it has little intellectual value . . . but it would have added to the film if the script had been more intelligent, if the characters were less two-dimensional, if the editing had been a bit subtler.

But that's not really the topic here . . .

spartan26: why do you think people should not see Cloverfield? Why should those of us who are excited be "warned?" And what about?

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1

So far at rotten tomatoes, it seems to be doing well, but I seldom care what so called reviewers ever think of movies. I haven't seen a movie that I've hated since I watched Laser Mission, and even that had it's moments.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

And some brave soul video recording in the theater died to bring us this information.

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    And some brave soul video recording in the theater died to bring us this information.
    It's a pretty cool teaser. I've never been a particular fan of Star Trek except for the Next Generation TV series, but I have high hopes for this movie.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    It's a pretty cool teaser. I've never been a particular fan of Star Trek except for the Next Generation TV series, but I have high hopes for this movie.
    I get to see a high-quality one in about an hour or so!