• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

That's not the point!!

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
You ever watch a movie, or show, and think something that has little to do with the movie itself, and when you say something to the other people watching, they go, "That's not the point of the movie!" or "Why does it matter!" or "Yeah, but it wouldn't be a movie if they did that!"

When I watched Kill Bill, I thought to myself, how complicated it must be, and how competitive it must be, to work for the Crazy 88's. I mean. You'd have to employ EXACTLY 88 people at all times? Or did they just name themselves that so people would THINK there was really 88 people to potentially ruin their day? Finding 88 people to fight is sorta like having a near company of people.. that's like a small army. I think there's something against raising armies in most countries.. When I voiced these concerns to my friend, she laughed and said that none of that had anything to do with the movie!

Spoiler ahead: In the expendables, I thought how easy it would be if they just dropped a few badass explosives onto the building they meant to explode anyways from the safety of the airplane? The movie would have been over in minutes instead of hours. Which is, I guess, why they didn't.

I also thought, what if Harry Potter's school were real.. and non-magical people were protesting about being discriminated against for not being allowed to join the school and learn as well.

So what movie scenes/plots/characters/storylines make you question it?? I find these pointless trails of thought interesting.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I always think that Hogwarts would have shut down in Year 1. No way would even wizardy parents allow their kids to be exposed to that level of danger just so they could learn Potions 101.

Love your Crazy 88s thing.

I go nuts when the whole plot of a movie is based on a misunderstanding that could have been fixed if the characters had just talked to each other. Like in An Affair to Remember, when Deborah Kerr didn't tell Cary Grant why she didn't meet him at the top of the Empire State Building. I always think, yeah, it's WAY better for him to just think you're a douche that doesn't care about him at all.

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ Omg I want to just STRANGLE those plot scenarios! :wacko: The ENTIRE plot to uh.. that one movie with ben stiller marrying that chick. or w/e.. THAT movie! Could have been resolved in minutes!!

And I always thought on the saw movie that the entire series would have ended if he had just used the damn saw to get the damn cell phone...

Kasper

Diabolical
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I hate talking about movies after I've seen them cause people talk about inconsequential things like the plot or story line, why would I want to talk about that?!? I was there! I saw!

Meanwhile I would love to see movies with you! That's the fun stuff to ponder!

I have nothing atm though *dunce hat*

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
^ :laugh: Spoiler ahead!! If you have NOT seen Inception and don't want it spoiled don't read the part in Lemon Chiffron :3

When it comes to plot and story lines, I don't really talk much about them after the movie unless something at the end or mid-way through sparks a debate, like if the ending of Inception was really all a dream or if he finally got what he was working so hard for.

I always thought it was cool that in Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles they made fun of some of their own gimmicks. They were all "THat was easy.. maybe TOO easy.." "It's quiet.. yeah.. Maybe TOO quiet.." and then they're all "There's Ralph!" Michaelangelo is all "Maybe TOO Ralph!" :laugh:

Or what if the Ghostbusters went out of business due to lack of activity? And then they became bad guys?

In the movie Cool World, I always thought it would've been cool to see what that girl would have done in the real world if she didn't get thrown back into cartoon land.

Or why didn't anyone just... call the Coast Guard during Jaws? Or Steve Irwin?

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I still have issues with the twist in Sixth Sense. Because when you go back over all the scenes, yeah, nobody actually interacted with him, but he still existed in places other than those scenes, presumably, right? I mean, you live for years and years after the accident and you never notice no one talks to you except for Haley Joel Osment? It just doesn't work for me.

KDude

You ever watch a movie, or show, and think something that has little to do with the movie itself, and when you say something to the other people watching, they go, "That's not the point of the movie!" or "Why does it matter!" or "Yeah, but it wouldn't be a movie if they did that!"

When I watched Kill Bill, I thought to myself, how complicated it must be, and how competitive it must be, to work for the Crazy 88's. I mean. You'd have to employ EXACTLY 88 people at all times? Or did they just name themselves that so people would THINK there was really 88 people to potentially ruin their day? Finding 88 people to fight is sorta like having a near company of people.. that's like a small army. I think there's something against raising armies in most countries.. When I voiced these concerns to my friend, she laughed and said that none of that had anything to do with the movie!

Spoiler ahead: In the expendables, I thought how easy it would be if they just dropped a few badass explosives onto the building they meant to explode anyways from the safety of the airplane? The movie would have been over in minutes instead of hours. Which is, I guess, why they didn't.

I also thought, what if Harry Potter's school were real.. and non-magical people were protesting about being discriminated against for not being allowed to join the school and learn as well.

So what movie scenes/plots/characters/storylines make you question it?? I find these pointless trails of thought interesting.

I'm with you.. What's funny is that Tarantino himself writes his movies with stuff like this mind. He's said he doesn't care to write about crimes - but what criminals do or talk about when they're not doing those things. Do they discuss Madonna over a cup of coffee? Do they come up with codenames, and does the boss refuse to give the coolest codename to anyone because they'd all just fight about it? If you're an undercover cop, do you get someone to coach you with your acting skills? Reservoir Dogs is a bank robbery movie that has nothing to do with banks or robberies.

And he joked about Kill Bill just being a random sampling of genres and ideas he liked..and that he thought other people might like. He went further than that, and said it was a movie that represented the movies that Jules and Vincent from Pulp Fiction goes to see...So yeah.. he never intended for much of a point to begin with, so you're probably in good company.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I go nuts when the whole plot of a movie is based on a misunderstanding that could have been fixed if the characters had just talked to each other.
Same here. I actually have almost exactly the same complaint when I have a plot complaint: "Why was that character so stupid?!?!?" (That's why I hated "My So-Called Life"... and before fans of that show go hatin' on me, keep in mind that the show is probably one of the least ESTJ shows ever made and therefore what I consider "stupid" probably isn't stupid at all - I just can't relate to it.)

Also, there are a lot of young adult books/movies where things would have gone just fine if the kid didn't have really bad parents. And there are so many books and movies like that! It seems like the only books and movies with good parents are 1. the ones aimed at kids (e.g. Ramona and Beezus), and 2. the ones aimed at adults (e.g. The Kids are All Right). But NOT the ones aimed at pre-teens and teenagers.

/rant

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
I still have issues with the twist in Sixth Sense. Because when you go back over all the scenes, yeah, nobody actually interacted with him, but he still existed in places other than those scenes, presumably, right? I mean, you live for years and years after the accident and you never notice no one talks to you except for Haley Joel Osment? It just doesn't work for me.

:wacko: I always pondered this as well.. I always thought maybe the dude didn't WANT to recognize people weren't talking to him, so he never did. But that seems silly... why wouldn't he want to interact with others?

I'm with you.. What's funny is that Tarantino himself writes his movies with stuff like this mind. He's said he doesn't care to write about crimes - but what criminals do or talk about when they're not doing those things. Do they discuss Madonna over a cup of coffee? Do they come up with codenames, and does the boss refuse to give the coolest codename to anyone because they'd all just fight about it? If you're an undercover cop, do you get someone to coach you with your acting skills? Reservoir Dogs is a bank robbery movie that has nothing to do with banks or robberies.

And he joked about Kill Bill just being a random sampling of genres and ideas he liked..and that he thought other people might like. He went further than that, and said it was a movie that represented the movies that Jules and Vincent from Pulp Fiction goes to see...So yeah.. he never intended for much of a point to begin with, so you're probably in good company.

:heart: Thanks for this post. :3 I like Tarantino's movies.

I thought on Jurassic park how that guy could ever tell that the T-Rex's vision was based on movement.. Or rather. What if it wasnt? >:3 and everyone got eated up super quick! And then dinosaurs took over the island and mankind itself! Rawr!!

gromit

likes this
I go nuts when the whole plot of a movie is based on a misunderstanding that could have been fixed if the characters had just talked to each other.

Yeah I cannot bear when that happens in a movie. :cry: Just TALK, people.