User Tag List

12 Last

Default Popularity of visual art compared to music

Why is music so much more popular and integrated into our culture compared to visual art such as paintings and photography?

Popular musicians rake in the money and popularity, while even the top visual artists struggle just to make a survivable income.

Popular musicians are perceived nearly as a cultural god, while visual artists are perceived as outcast nerds playing with their camera gear or hypersensitively painting a scene by themselves in a corner of society somewhere. If a popular musician were to appear in a movie, it would likely drive up sales, but if it were a visual artist, people would go: "Hmmm... who? What are they doing trying to act?"

What causes this dichotomy?

Is it that musicians are seen as more extraverted and in-touch with their fans and life?

Is public visibility and performance of musicians a factor?

Is visual art perceived as more esoteric and removed from day to day life?

Is music more of an emotional medium, and thus more appealing?

Does the price and availability of visual art play a role? If so, what if visual art were made more affordable and more easily obtainable? It seems to me that one reason the photographer Ansel Adams was so popular is that he tried to make his work available to a wider range of people by selling it for less than many photographers of his caliber would have.

Senior Member StrappingYoungLad's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

I think its because its easier to market shitty music than shitty visual art.

Also, music has a role in human interaction because without it dancing between people would look pretty damn retarded.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by JAVO View Post
    Why is music so much more popular and integrated into our culture compared to visual art such as paintings and photography?

Popular musicians rake in the money and popularity, while even the top visual artists struggle just to make a survivable income.

Popular musicians are perceived nearly as a cultural god, while visual artists are perceived as outcast nerds playing with their camera gear or hypersensitively painting a scene by themselves in a corner of society somewhere. If a popular musician were to appear in a movie, it would likely drive up sales, but if it were a visual artist, people would go: "Hmmm... who? What are they doing trying to act?"

What causes this dichotomy?

Is it that musicians are seen as more extraverted and in-touch with their fans and life?

Is public visibility and performance of musicians a factor?

Is visual art perceived as more esoteric and removed from day to day life?

Is music more of an emotional medium, and thus more appealing?

Does the price and availability of visual art play a role? If so, what if visual art were made more affordable and more easily obtainable? It seems to me that one reason the photographer Ansel Adams was so popular is that he tried to make his work available to a wider range of people by selling it for less than many photographers of his caliber would have.
    I think the BOLDED is especially true. Also, we like to look at pretty people who don't make us think more than pictures that do.
    But remember that most musicians don't make much money at all, and have to have a day job to keep going. Lady Gaga does not represent what most musicians experience.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I don't know any scientific facts but I suppose that even babys are able to distinguish specific sounds in terms of liking or disliking them. It's the same with adults. We hear all kinds of sounds every single day and we can tell simple noise from a good sound or a song. It's already in us when we are born. It's much more complicated with visual arts. I don't think it has much influence on a person who has no basic knowledge of it and hasn't benn taught to appreciate it. We of course see photos in advertisements, in magazines, on TV but they don't give us any feelings most of the time, do they?
    Then again, there are both musicians and visual artists who earn a lot. BUT. In order to earn that money, their work has to be comercial. Well, maybe not necesserily comercial but it has to appeal to the listener or the viewer. It could be a good thing that visual art is not as comercially successful as music because the artist is free in terms of creativity. He is free to do whatever he wants to.
    I wish my English was more fluent so that I could explain my view of point better.

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by vilijaba View Post
    I don't know any scientific facts but I suppose that even babys are able to distinguish specific sounds in terms of liking or disliking them. It's the same with adults. We hear all kinds of sounds every single day and we can tell simple noise from a good sound or a song. It's already in us when we are born. It's much more complicated with visual arts. I don't think it has much influence on a person who has no basic knowledge of it and hasn't benn taught to appreciate it. We of course see photos in advertisements, in magazines, on TV but they don't give us any feelings most of the time, do they?
    Then again, there are both musicians and visual artists who earn a lot. BUT. In order to earn that money, their work has to be comercial. Well, maybe not necesserily comercial but it has to appeal to the listener or the viewer. It could be a good thing that visual art is not as comercially successful as music because the artist is free in terms of creativity. He is free to do whatever he wants to.
    I wish my English was more fluent so that I could explain my view of point better.
    Your English is very good!

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

It's more interactive? Music talks back, visual art doesn't?
    http://bohemianextrovert.wordpress.com/
    Please excuse the long drawn out ramble above.
    I have to hear what I've said before I know what I think.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think it's because music is both a personal and a communal experience, and visual art is exclusively a personal experience. Nobody has a party and puts a painting up on the wall for entertainment.

Music is also used for more purposes. You can listen to music in the car, at work, while working out, at a party, etc. Visual art is just there to be looked at. It doesn't complement your life in the same way, because to appreciate it, it must be your focus. And unless you're making a trip to a museum, that doesn't really happen.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    SEXY

I beg to differ. Movies are visual art as well, and that industry is even bigger than the music one. There isn't a musician in the world who gets paid the same amount as say, Will Smith.
    (removed)

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I think it's because music is both a personal and a communal experience, and visual art is exclusively a personal experience. Nobody has a party and puts a painting up on the wall for entertainment.

Music is also used for more purposes. You can listen to music in the car, at work, while working out, at a party, etc. Visual art is just there to be looked at. It doesn't complement your life in the same way, because to appreciate it, it must be your focus. And unless you're making a trip to a museum, that doesn't really happen.
    This. Maybe a better comparison would be music vs. poetry? But it seems pretty obvious to me why music is a more commercial medium than either poetry or the visual arts. It envelops the listener, affects the emotions, gives the opportunity for the listener to lose himself/herself in the rhythms and melody. Static visual media can't do that (well, not can't, but is less likely to), though film certainly can.
    Something Witty

It's just the current movement. At one point in time, painters were more popular, while musicians struggled with finding larger audiences (also due to lack of recording) or patrons.

Actors were some of the lowest classes in Rome.. In other times, some also functioned as prostitutes and courtesans. Things change. Now it's everyone else kissing their asses, treating some like demigods.

Lastly, music is changing as we speak.. recording is not as lucrative as it once was.. there's an emphasis on performance again.. as well as people thinking of new ways to market it in general. Twenty years from now, it may not be the big thing. Video games or crafting virtual worlds and experiences could be the new artform. Who knows.