• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Well Developed Female Characters From Movies

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What about dropping the "I love blood and pain because I'm an adorable psycho" fake persona that everyone's so tired of?

I suspect there's a real you under there, but nobody ever gets to see it.

Relax. I'm just thinking outside of the box that most others are thinking in. All the other characters like Clarice, "Sparks," and Sarah Connor have been taken. (And Kathy Bates did win an Oscar for her role!)

After all, someone mentioned Glenn Close's character in Fatal Attraction. I don't think I'm the only person you should bark, excuse me, squeak at.

And the topic didn't specify that the female character couldn't be a psycho... ;)

O

Oberon

Your reply is an intellectual defense of your facade. I'm not impressed. Of course, there's little to be gained by impressing a mouse, so that's neither here nor there.

Uberfurry, whenever you really want to come out and play, let me know, K?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Uberfurry, whenever you really want to come out and play, let me know, K?

Have you ever seen The Warriors? (Warriors, come out and play-e-yay!)

Okay, what about Captain Janeway in Star Trek Voyager?

Yeah, yeah, I'm bending the rules from the topic-specified "movies" to telly. However, I don't think it's that big of a deal. (After all, said character had several years to be developed!)

O

Oberon

Okay, what about Captain Janeway in Star Trek Voyager?

I've seen ST:Voyager a few times. Janeway was a commanding character more or less by definition, but I didn't see enough episodes to really think of her as a well-developed character per se. What I saw of her made her look gritty and strong, but not particularly complex.

I saw lots of Beverly Crusher on ST:TNG, however, and I thought she was a well-rounded character as Star Trek women go. She could be tough or empathetic as the situation demanded, and her repressed feelings for the captain (and his in return) made her pretty interesting. Once the series ditched her insufferable son, it made her that much more watchable.

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Did anyone mention Ellen Ripley?

EDIT: Dammit, FMWarner beat me to it.

alicia91

Oops, I must have missed the part of wanting 'positive' women when I first read this thread. I was about to agree with Uber about Annie and couldn't see what the problem was.....So I guess that means that must take Alex back (though I love the psychos that we also feel sorry for).

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I've seen ST:Voyager a few times. Janeway was a commanding character more or less by definition, but I didn't see enough episodes to really think of her as a well-developed character per se. What I saw of her made her look gritty and strong, but not particularly complex.

I saw lots of Beverly Crusher on ST:TNG, however, and I thought she was a well-rounded character as Star Trek women go. She could be tough or empathetic as the situation demanded, and her repressed feelings for the captain (and his in return) made her pretty interesting. Once the series ditched her insufferable son, it made her that much more watchable.

I would pick Beverly over Janeway as the tougher of the two. Janeway just grates on me and did not seem particularly strong.

(What about Worf's ex? She was tough too.)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I would pick Beverly over Janeway as the tougher of the two. Janeway just grates on me and did not seem particularly strong.

(What about Worf's ex? She was tough too.)

I should have picked Uhura.

Or what about Seven of Nine or T'Pol?

heart

heart on fire
Oops, I must have missed the part of wanting 'positive' women when I first read this thread. I was about to agree with Uber about Annie and couldn't see what the problem was.....So I guess that means that must take Alex back (though I love the psychos that we also feel sorry for).

Well, some people may have a different idea of what "positive" means. :D

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yes, I agree Uhura is a good choice.

Actually, I was joking about Uhura -- it seems they just made her the secretary of Star Trek.

Seven of Nine and T'Pol, on the other hand, practically defy the stereotypes associated with women.

heart

heart on fire
Actually, I was joking about Uhura -- it seems they just made her the secretary of Star Trek.

Taken in proper historical perspective for when the show was produced she was portrayed as an intelligent and strong woman. She was a communications officer with science training not a secretary btw. Maybe you are thinking Yeoman Rand.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Taken in proper historical perspective for when the show was produced she was portrayed as an intelligent and strong woman. She was a communications officer with science training not a secretary...

Yup, she was in a very prominent role for a woman at that time, and served as an inspiration to many girls. (And then there was that black/white kiss, too, that set new standards.)

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Taken in proper historical perspective for when the show was produced she was portrayed as an intelligent and strong woman. She was a communications officer with science training not a secretary btw. Maybe you are thinking Yeoman Rand.

Well, maybe it was just the makeup they made her wear.

And how about Lorraine Gary in Jaws the Revenge? (I actually found the copy I made of that movie on VHS -- that was before laserdisc and right around Beta.)

heart

heart on fire
Well, maybe it was just the makeup they made her wear.

And how about Lorraine Gary in Jaws the Revenge? (I actually found the copy I made of that movie on VHS -- that was before laserdisc and right around Beta.)

Can you believe I have never seen any of the Jaws movies more than a few minutes? :D

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Can you believe I have never seen any of the Jaws movies more than a few minutes? :D

Well, Lorraine Gary was about as bad-ass as she able to get for such a shitty script.

And what about Lara Croft?

The Ü™

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Not just a strong woman in the movies, but the video games, too.

(I think we can spread our wings a bit so that we don't have to be exclusive to movies.)

And Michelle Rodriguez frequently plays strong women -- she's known for her tough chick roles.

Also, Milla Jovovich in the Resident Evil movies, and, of course, The Fifth Element!