User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

The female characters I've truly identified with are:

The Marquise de Merteuil in Dangerous Liaisons

merteuil.jpg

When I came out into society I was 15. I already knew then that the role I was condemned to, namely to keep quiet and do what I was told, gave me the perfect opportunity to listen and observe. Not to what people told me, which naturally was of no interest to me, but to whatever it was they were trying to hide... I practiced detachment. I learn how to look cheerful while under the table I stuck a fork onto the back of my hand. I became a virtuoso of deceit. I consulted the strictest moralists to learn how to appear, philosophers to find out what to think, and novelists to see what I could get away with, and in the end it all came down to one wonderfully simple principle: Win or die.
    Clarice Starling in Silence of the Lambs

clarice.jpg

He won't come after me. (...) He won't. I can't explain it... He - he would consider that rude.
    Kat Stratford in 10 Things I Hate About You

kat.jpg

Expressing my opinion is not a terrorist action.

Oberon

Contact, and Sommersby.

Interestingly, it was Jodie Foster in both films.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    Man, I need to watch more movies! The only ones I've seen from those mentioned are Memoirs of a Geisha, Not Without My Daughter, and The Incredibles.

I would say that Chiyo from Memoirs of a Geisha wasn't all that for me. It seemed like all the evidence in her world, especially shown through the character of Hatsumomo- is that being a geisha kind of sucks- the things you give up to be a bitchy bread winner for the house. But Chiyo instead idealizes the whole thing, and becomes a sucessful geisha through some luck and lots of hard work. Which isn't to begrudge her sucess, but I found it very disheartening that she still clung to the ideal of a romance with the Chairman, instead of taking the lumps with the benefits of her sucessful geisha-hood. Not to mention the movie romanticizing her whole "live in the past" attitude (or was that the book).

I mean, we're supposed to see Pumpkin (that's the fellow servant girl, right?) as dumb, dowdy, and silly. But you know what? She knew what she wanted and she got it, basically. And when the times changed she changed to survive.
    My experience of the movie was colored by reading the book. Chiyo really didn't have choices, she was basically a slave from the time of being a small girl and she used her mind to make the best of those choices she did have. It's her will and the effect of her Fi on others that propells her forwards most of the time.

The reason why I added her I guess is because I highly identified with her and I was moved by the way she hung onto the hope of her dreams despite emotionally devestating years.

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    One is right in Cafe's avatar...Helen Parr/Elastigirl from The Incredibles. Yeah, it's animated, but it has more depth than 90% of the live action movies I can think of. She's strong and self-reliant, but love of her family and devotion to her husband and children are what bring out those traits in her.
    Few films have spoken to me in an intense, personal way as The Incredibles did and does. I especially like the following exchange, between Bob Parr newly arrived home from work, and a kid on a tricycle:

Bob Parr: What are you waiting for?
    Kid: I dunno... something amazing, I guess!
    Bob Parr: Me too, kid.

It kind of sums up the Bob Parr character at that point in the story. It's no accident that I have a Mr. Incredible action figure on a shelf in my office. And my wife, well... she is Helen Parr in many ways.

MBTI
    eNfP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

What about Kate Croy, Helena Bonham Carter's character from Wings of the Dove? She's a morally ambiguous character trying to decide between love & privilege in Victorian times.

Or May Welland, Winona Ryder's character, in The Age of Innocence, who appears naive & oblivious to her circumstances throughout the film, but is revealed to be quite clever & manipulative in her marriage?

I love characters like that -- that make you think about them & figure them out long after the film is done.

And I get so disappointed with flimsy, two-dimensional characters, that abound in film, especially notable in Titanic, where the characters are all-good, or evil to the core, & just not human. Or the characters in the Star Wars franchise--that are just not interesting -- if only the dialogue could have matched the story, the special-effects, what could have been?

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by chatoyer View Post
    And I get so disappointed with flimsy, two-dimensional characters, that abound in film, especially notable in Titanic, where the characters are all-good, or evil to the core, & just not human. Or the characters in the Star Wars franchise--that are just not interesting -- if only the dialogue could have matched the story, the special-effects, what could have been?
    Heh. You know, I too have railed against the stilted lines given the various Star Wars characters down through the years... but I think I know now that Lucas would not have it any other way. That's the way archetypes talk.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

how about Elle Woods in Legally Blonde? She manages to get what she wants without sacrificing her femeninity- and she's really NICE to everyone and still super smart!

and though she's not a main character- Maude Lebowski in the Big Lebowski is a STRONG female character!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

"He's a good man, and thorough!"

MBTI
    eNfP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    Heh. You know, I too have railed against the stilted lines given the various Star Wars characters down through the years... but I think I know now that Lucas would not have it any other way. That's the way archetypes talk.
    Oh! Good one! Thought about doing any PR for these guys?

I think his ego cannot admit that he needs a decent screenwriter! I also think that he's a control freak & cannot give up the reins a bit to anyone to make his vision a reality!

Can't Spielberg give him a hint?
    Last edited by chatoyer; 01-16-2008 at 06:13 PM. Reason: misspelled name

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by chatoyer View Post
    Oh! Good one! Thought about doing any PR for these guys?
    I didn't say I liked it. I would have preferred lines that made the characters more relatable. Still, Lucas was shooting at something with his dialogue and I think he hit it, even if it's not to my taste.