User Tag List

123 Last

Default Post a book you think everyone should read and say why

Fear of Freedom Eric Fromm - I think perhaps people could get a greater insight into themselves and others and stop being assholes and understand what is going on when others continue being assholes.

Our Friends on Frolix Eight PKD - More ideas to the page than I've encountered in many other sci fi books but amidst all that there's a great love triangle and good material on a lot of mundanities, hopes for your kids, obsessive turns, disillusionment with systems or individuals or love and a kind of artificial environment existential turn. Really good entertainment which resonates.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

The Naked Ape - Human Ethologist Desmond Morris connects animal behavior and human behavior. It'll completely change the way you see people and understand society. It helps you wake up to your surroundings. A good way to become more aware of what's happening. Amusing and easy to read.

The World As I See It - It's been referred to as Albert Einstein's autobiography, but it's not. It's a collection of essays, letters, and speeches Einstein authored throughout his life. He shares his views on life, religion, science, pacifism, Zionism, Jewish people, the bomb, and society. The writing is crystal clear and brilliant and all the ideas are still very very relevant. Einstein was so articulate that reading his ideas is kind of like admiring a great work of architecture in the way it's structured and held together. It's magnificent and changes the way you see conflict. It forced me to reassess my values.

The Wisdom of Insecurity - Alan Watts, Buddhist Philanderer, wrote this. He explains what Buddhism is and what it strives for and why. Some of it is esoteric, but much of it is explained very very well with the help of poignant analogies and simple language. He causes you to rethink what you know about people and psychology. This is not a self-help book. It does not teach you how to meditate but will give you great clues and a great feel for it.

Watts will change your perspective on the individual. Einstein will change your perspective on society. Morris will change your perspective on the human race.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

The Racial Contract - Charles W Mills. I copied my reason from Amazon because it's too early for coherent thought and I haven't finished my coffee yet, plus this guy says it better than I ever could:
    "It centrally elucidates the ways in which the social contract has unspoken suppositions which in actuality make it a handshake between whites to exploit the lands, labors and bodies of nonwhites.... Mills places his theory firmly within the liberal conception of rights and so explores the ways in which such rights (as to life and labors) have been systematically alienated from nonwhites."
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Please Kill Me - Legs McNeil - Because most people won't live a depraved rock n roll lifestyle (nor should)... but it's kind of funny to read about.

The Coming of Conan the Cimmerian - Robert E Howard - Most of REH's original short stories. Serves as a contrast to high fantasy literature. I think Howard's take on that setting is kind of lost.. it's somewhat more hopeless. I prefer fantasy, but Howard's style is kind of interesting too. For stark, living fear, what other writer is even in the running with Robert E Howard? - HP Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w2

zombie survival guide- Max Brooks

For one its a really easy, fast and entertaining read. I found my self falling into each scenario that he would describe. Just love this book.
    "I put the fires out."
    "you made them worse."
    "worse...or better?"

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram

I wouldn't necessarily say it is a must read, but I did immensely enjoy the series.
    Dennis Lehane's Patrick Kenzie series -- moral ambiguity is this guy's specialty. At the end of each book, you can't help but question your own morals and ethics. Really fucks with your head.

MBTI
    ESFJ

I'm going to say the book i'm currently reading .. How long is now? by Tim Freke

It talks about how we live our story based on the concepts we have assigned to our life. He tries to bring another element into it regarding the mystery of life and reality. It's about awakening our consciousness.

Quote .. When i put the mystery of existence into a conceptual box, the magic goes. I stop loving my life and i start just getting on with it .When i step out of my story and into the mystery, it's as if i've suddenly remembered that i'm alive again, and i find myself falling in love with everything and everyone.
    I'm conscious of the mystery now, and all of my superficial judgements are dissolving.

“I made you take time to look at what I saw and when you took time to really notice my flower, you hung all your associations with flowers on my flower and you write about my flower as if I think and see what you think and see—and I don't.”
    ― Georgia O'Keeffe

MBTI
    INTP

How to Win Friends and Influence People, Dale Carnegie

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Beargryllz View Post
    How to Win Friends and Influence People, Dale Carnegie
    +1 on that

Tuesdays with Morrie is good in making you think about priorities.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Banned
    MBTI
    eNxp
    Enneagram
    5/7
    Socionics
    eii

Don't know if everyone should be reading it, but it's far and away one of the most truth-saturated books I've ever read.

Simone Weil - Gravity and Grace. The heart of ethics and metaphysics fused into a book of very intense aphorisms.

Close second is the Tao Te Ching - Lao Tzu (Stephen Mitchell) - Pretty much for the same reasons. Beautiful translation.