User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Comedy Movies

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Comedy Movies

I was just wondering if I am the only person out there that dislikes comedies? I feel like I walk away with nothing when I watch them.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    I was just wondering if I am the only person out there that dislikes comedies? I feel like I walk away with nothing when I watch them.
    It depends on the kind of comedy, and the mood I'm in. Usually I'm not that amused (and usually disgusted) by ribald or crass humor. But sophisticated, ironic humor is more my taste.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Most of my favorite movies are comedies. I love everything from Much Ado About Nothing to Pootie Tang (which is also kind of much ado about nothing if you think about it). Not really big on the bathroom/groin injury humor, though.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

I'm not sure what you're intended to "walk away with" from a comedy. I think you're just supposed to be amused for an hour and a half. The exception would be comedies with a political or sociological gravity like "Dr. Strangelove", "Tootsie" and "The Graduate".

I'm biased because I'm an aspiring comedy writer, but I think comedies reflect their time better than dramas, and I think the execution of a good comedy requires a skill at least equal to that of a drama. Of course, this has nothing to do with whether you enjoy it or not, so I guess I'm babbling

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Sorry, can't relate. I love comedies, especially the ones from which I take away absolutely nothing of value.

cafe and I have discussed our mutual love of Pootie Tang before...
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INXP

I like comedies, but I'm choosy. I get nothing much from comedies that many people... the masses.. adore, but the oddest things can make me chortle away.

I also like those films with a humorous overtone while not being outright hilarious.... Ferris Bueller's Day off would be one of them!

-Geoff

MBTI
    ISXJ

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    I feel like I walk away with nothing when I watch them.
    I feel like that any time I watch a movie that has Will Ferrell in it (with the one exception of Zoolander). Now that you mention it, I think that a lot of comedies today rely on gross-out humor, random nudity scenes, and profanity...I haven't seen a really good/clever comedy in a long time.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Some kinds of "comedy" I can see what you mean. The one where you get the bloke shouting at people.. not funny. The one's (cause there's many) where some bloke receives an injury you could bring yourself to do to someone you didn't like... not funny.

Somehow though a small sabre toothed rodent simply running across ice/ snow... hilarious.

Do you mean ALL comedy or just a branch of it. I'd find it hard to believe that you don't like ANY comedies at all.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INFJ

Yeah, I guess that would be the distinction. Crude humor, random nude scenes (including a birth scene that I watched in Knocked Up), and other stuff like that really makes the movie way less funny to me. I think the distinction is that there is a difference between cheap laughs and wit. I just watched Surf's Up last night and it was good comedy, but, as mentioned above, I watched Knocked Up and I thought it was boring.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Enneagram 4w5 social

MBTI
    ISTx

It's hit or miss for me. I enjoy a funny comedy and expect to take nothing away from it. I enjoy it for the time that I'm watching it and that's the point. A lot of popular comedies I find to be unfunny - the American Pie movies, for instance. Superbad, Ace Ventura, 40 Year Old Virgin, Anchorman - all enjoyable.