• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Comedy Movies

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
I was just wondering if I am the only person out there that dislikes comedies? I feel like I walk away with nothing when I watch them.

Athenian200

Protocol Droid
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I was just wondering if I am the only person out there that dislikes comedies? I feel like I walk away with nothing when I watch them.

It depends on the kind of comedy, and the mood I'm in. Usually I'm not that amused (and usually disgusted) by ribald or crass humor. But sophisticated, ironic humor is more my taste.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Most of my favorite movies are comedies. I love everything from Much Ado About Nothing to Pootie Tang (which is also kind of much ado about nothing if you think about it). Not really big on the bathroom/groin injury humor, though.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I'm not sure what you're intended to "walk away with" from a comedy. I think you're just supposed to be amused for an hour and a half. The exception would be comedies with a political or sociological gravity like "Dr. Strangelove", "Tootsie" and "The Graduate".

I'm biased because I'm an aspiring comedy writer, but I think comedies reflect their time better than dramas, and I think the execution of a good comedy requires a skill at least equal to that of a drama. Of course, this has nothing to do with whether you enjoy it or not, so I guess I'm babbling :)

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Sorry, can't relate. I love comedies, especially the ones from which I take away absolutely nothing of value. :)

cafe and I have discussed our mutual love of Pootie Tang before...

Geoff

Lallygag Moderator
MBTI Type
INXP
I like comedies, but I'm choosy. I get nothing much from comedies that many people... the masses.. adore, but the oddest things can make me chortle away.

I also like those films with a humorous overtone while not being outright hilarious.... Ferris Bueller's Day off would be one of them!

-Geoff

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
I feel like I walk away with nothing when I watch them.

I feel like that any time I watch a movie that has Will Ferrell in it (with the one exception of Zoolander). Now that you mention it, I think that a lot of comedies today rely on gross-out humor, random nudity scenes, and profanity...I haven't seen a really good/clever comedy in a long time.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Some kinds of "comedy" I can see what you mean. The one where you get the bloke shouting at people.. not funny. The one's (cause there's many) where some bloke receives an injury you could bring yourself to do to someone you didn't like... not funny.

Somehow though a small sabre toothed rodent simply running across ice/ snow... hilarious.

Do you mean ALL comedy or just a branch of it. I'd find it hard to believe that you don't like ANY comedies at all.

wedekit

MBTI Type
INFJ
Yeah, I guess that would be the distinction. Crude humor, random nude scenes (including a birth scene that I watched in Knocked Up), and other stuff like that really makes the movie way less funny to me. I think the distinction is that there is a difference between cheap laughs and wit. I just watched Surf's Up last night and it was good comedy, but, as mentioned above, I watched Knocked Up and I thought it was boring.

swordpath

MBTI Type
ISTx
Enneagram
5w6
It's hit or miss for me. I enjoy a funny comedy and expect to take nothing away from it. I enjoy it for the time that I'm watching it and that's the point. A lot of popular comedies I find to be unfunny - the American Pie movies, for instance. Superbad, Ace Ventura, 40 Year Old Virgin, Anchorman - all enjoyable.

Recoleta

No me digas, che!
MBTI Type
ISXJ
Yeah, I think that is the difference. I saw "Good Luck Chuck" awhile back, and not only was it not funny at all, it was actually pretty revolting. However, I loved the Shrek movies, and thought they were brilliantly done for their creativity.

MBTI Type
INTJ
Yeah, I think that is the difference. I saw "Good Luck Chuck" awhile back, and not only was it not funny at all, it was actually pretty revolting. However, I loved the Shrek movies, and thought they were brilliantly done for their creativity.

Please don't take any movie unfortunate enough to feature Dane Cook as representative of today's comedy ;)

I can appreciate a crude comedy if it's well executed. I think that movie profanity can be a kind of patois if it's well written and well delivered. And as always, everything works better when the movie establishes fully formed characters and gives you a reason to care about them. This is why I think ribald comedies like "Superbad", "The 40 Year Old Virgin", "Old School" and "Clerks" work while lots of movies with an equal amount of profanity and crudeness fail miserably.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Yeah, I guess that would be the distinction. Crude humor, random nude scenes (including a birth scene that I watched in Knocked Up), and other stuff like that really makes the movie way less funny to me. I think the distinction is that there is a difference between cheap laughs and wit. I just watched Surf's Up last night and it was good comedy, but, as mentioned above, I watched Knocked Up and I thought it was boring.
In that respect then you're probably more interested in entertaining your mind. I can see that. I tend to find most things built for cheap laughs just that, cheap.

For example, I'm one of a small number who just don't find 'Family Guy' funny. I laugh occasionally at the Simpsons but otherwise it's just background noise. Put on 'Yes Prime Minister' (I'd suggest you dig it up, should be worth the effort) and I'll watch with great interest. I'd admit though it could largely be due to not understanding half the jokes (I'm very non political in my knowledge, it bores me so I know very little of it).

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like just about every type of comedy and laugh at it :laugh:

exceptions :nono:
- kiddy humor
- repetition as a form of comedy (the sequences of The Family Guy where Peter says the same damned thing over and over drive me mad! :steam:)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I like Romantic Comedy, but I don't enjoy Slapstick Comedy at all.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Not many people liked Knocked Up. I've heard half a dozen opinions against it, and not one for it.

Griffi97

MBTI Type
INFJ
Favorite comedies

Even though I'm generally pretty serious and all, I have to admit I like some comedies. Some favorites: The 40 year old Virgin (I laughed so hard I almost fell out of my chair); Napoleon Dynamite; classic faves The Breakfast Club, 16 Candles, and Ferris Bueller's Day Off; Hot Fuzz, and yes, I'm going to say it, Borat. :devil:

MBTI Type
INTJ
Not many people liked Knocked Up. I've heard half a dozen opinions against it, and not one for it.

I thought it was fantastic. Some of it lacked a little credulity, but I thought it brought up some common issues dealing with impending parenthood in a lighthearted way. It suffers by comparison to Superbad and The 40 Year Old Virgin, which were made by the same creative team, but failing to live up to those two movies is no disgrace.

Somebody must have liked it, it made a mint.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I think your sample is biased, INTJMom. :D

I haven't seen it yet but I'm fairly sure I'll enjoy it, even if it's not as funny as the others they've made which I loved. The subject matter (pregnancy/birth, not specifically of the stranger knock-up variety) is near & dear to me. But it was one I didn't mind waiting for on DVD, and right now I'm a bit too entrenched in finishing Season 3 of Lost before Season 4 starts at the end of the month to watch anything else.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I think your sample is biased, INTJMom. :D

I haven't seen it yet but I'm fairly sure I'll enjoy it, even if it's not as funny as the others they've made which I loved. The subject matter (pregnancy/birth, not specifically of the stranger knock-up variety) is near & dear to me. But it was one I didn't mind waiting for on DVD, and right now I'm a bit too entrenched in finishing Season 3 of Lost before Season 4 starts at the end of the month to watch anything else.
Heh. Don asked me yesterday if I'd finished watching all the episodes of Lost. He says he wants me at his beck and call again. He has incredibly low beck and call expectations, but I guess even INTPs can get to feeling neglected.