User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Comedy Movies

MBTI
    ISXJ

Yeah, I think that is the difference. I saw "Good Luck Chuck" awhile back, and not only was it not funny at all, it was actually pretty revolting. However, I loved the Shrek movies, and thought they were brilliantly done for their creativity.

Quote Originally Posted by Recoleta View Post
    Yeah, I think that is the difference. I saw "Good Luck Chuck" awhile back, and not only was it not funny at all, it was actually pretty revolting. However, I loved the Shrek movies, and thought they were brilliantly done for their creativity.
    Please don't take any movie unfortunate enough to feature Dane Cook as representative of today's comedy

I can appreciate a crude comedy if it's well executed. I think that movie profanity can be a kind of patois if it's well written and well delivered. And as always, everything works better when the movie establishes fully formed characters and gives you a reason to care about them. This is why I think ribald comedies like "Superbad", "The 40 Year Old Virgin", "Old School" and "Clerks" work while lots of movies with an equal amount of profanity and crudeness fail miserably.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by wedekit View Post
    Yeah, I guess that would be the distinction. Crude humor, random nude scenes (including a birth scene that I watched in Knocked Up), and other stuff like that really makes the movie way less funny to me. I think the distinction is that there is a difference between cheap laughs and wit. I just watched Surf's Up last night and it was good comedy, but, as mentioned above, I watched Knocked Up and I thought it was boring.
    In that respect then you're probably more interested in entertaining your mind. I can see that. I tend to find most things built for cheap laughs just that, cheap.

For example, I'm one of a small number who just don't find 'Family Guy' funny. I laugh occasionally at the Simpsons but otherwise it's just background noise. Put on 'Yes Prime Minister' (I'd suggest you dig it up, should be worth the effort) and I'll watch with great interest. I'd admit though it could largely be due to not understanding half the jokes (I'm very non political in my knowledge, it bores me so I know very little of it).
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I like just about every type of comedy and laugh at it

exceptions
    - kiddy humor
    - repetition as a form of comedy (the sequences of The Family Guy where Peter says the same damned thing over and over drive me mad! :steam
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTJ

I was just wondering if I am the only person out there that dislikes comedies? I feel like I walk away with nothing when I watch them.
    I like Romantic Comedy, but I don't enjoy Slapstick Comedy at all.

MBTI
    INTJ

Yeah, I guess that would be the distinction. Crude humor, random nude scenes (including a birth scene that I watched in Knocked Up), and other stuff like that really makes the movie way less funny to me. I think the distinction is that there is a difference between cheap laughs and wit. I just watched Surf's Up last night and it was good comedy, but, as mentioned above, I watched Knocked Up and I thought it was boring.
    Not many people liked Knocked Up. I've heard half a dozen opinions against it, and not one for it.

MBTI
    INFJ

Default Favorite comedies

Even though I'm generally pretty serious and all, I have to admit I like some comedies. Some favorites: The 40 year old Virgin (I laughed so hard I almost fell out of my chair); Napoleon Dynamite; classic faves The Breakfast Club, 16 Candles, and Ferris Bueller's Day Off; Hot Fuzz, and yes, I'm going to say it, Borat.

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Not many people liked Knocked Up. I've heard half a dozen opinions against it, and not one for it.
    I thought it was fantastic. Some of it lacked a little credulity, but I thought it brought up some common issues dealing with impending parenthood in a lighthearted way. It suffers by comparison to Superbad and The 40 Year Old Virgin, which were made by the same creative team, but failing to live up to those two movies is no disgrace.

Somebody must have liked it, it made a mint.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I think your sample is biased, INTJMom.

I haven't seen it yet but I'm fairly sure I'll enjoy it, even if it's not as funny as the others they've made which I loved. The subject matter (pregnancy/birth, not specifically of the stranger knock-up variety) is near & dear to me. But it was one I didn't mind waiting for on DVD, and right now I'm a bit too entrenched in finishing Season 3 of Lost before Season 4 starts at the end of the month to watch anything else.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I think your sample is biased, INTJMom.

I haven't seen it yet but I'm fairly sure I'll enjoy it, even if it's not as funny as the others they've made which I loved. The subject matter (pregnancy/birth, not specifically of the stranger knock-up variety) is near & dear to me. But it was one I didn't mind waiting for on DVD, and right now I'm a bit too entrenched in finishing Season 3 of Lost before Season 4 starts at the end of the month to watch anything else.
    Heh. Don asked me yesterday if I'd finished watching all the episodes of Lost. He says he wants me at his beck and call again. He has incredibly low beck and call expectations, but I guess even INTPs can get to feeling neglected.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers