User Tag List

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Jane Austen - Masterpiece Theatre

Thumbs up Jane Austen - Masterpiece Theatre

Beginning tonight and every Sunday through March 30th from 9 - 11 PM, PBS stations will be broadcasting Masterpiece Theatre's presentations of Jane Austen films.

Persuasion is tonight.
    It's a new 2007 version with Sally Hawkins.

Persuasion (2007) (TV)

*queue'd the DVR*

This latest version of Persuasion was lackluster.

I thought it was too fast-paced. It didn't have the soulful depth of Pride & Prejudice, though I did like the parts when she wrote in her diary. I have no need to see it again.

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

The last version with Ciaran Hinds (sp?) was the best...I tried about 10 minutes of this new one...ycch.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch63 View Post
    The last version with Ciaran Hinds (sp?) was the best...I tried about 10 minutes of this new one...ycch.

I agree! That version was excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch63 View Post
    Only ten minutes, huh?
    I guess you were smarter than me and a friend of mine who watched the whole thing.
    He preferred the 1995 version also.
    I thought this new version was shallow. They didn't develop the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Only ten minutes, huh?
    I guess you were smarter than me and a friend of mine who watched the whole thing.
    He preferred the 1995 version also.
    I thought this new version was shallow. They didn't develop the characters.
    Yes, I agree, it was so deeply disappointing. But I am holding out hope that some of the others they present in the next weeks will not be so flat.

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

One wonders: how can you screw up that writing? Unless of course you take liberties. And I see a trend of these latest interpretations casting youthful beatiful people without discernible character.

Emma Thompson had the experience and judgement to get away with some editing....and a fine cast.

Austen's heroines have to have a sort of deep, quiet strength or fire....other characters are well rounded and are people we can actually recognize...perhaps by MBTI type even. Casting here is paramount.

And why the drive to redo these recent (near perfect as far as I am concerned) versions?

I remember hearing that they were going to redo the Prime Suspect series here in the US...with Michelle Pfifer in Helen Mirren's role! I believe that I would like to employ an emoticon: :1377:

Okay I went overboard....
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

It wasn't so long ago that they did such a great ( I thought) job on the The Forsyte Saga . What the heck happened?

I was laughing through parts of Dr Zhavigo because it was so fluffy for such a deep work. I really thought that Keira Knightley didn't have the earthy, sensual dreaminess needed to play Lara and Sam Neil as Komarovsky was a scream.