User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

I don't see Mr. Bennet as an INTJ. He mostly keeps to his library, reading and appreciating his two older daughters. He's not openly critical of people, even Darcy, though he makes fun of them. He's a very Rational man; INTJs seem more emotional to me than that.

I see him as more of a P than a J. Eg, he avoids taking a stand with Lydia; rather than forbidding her to go to Brighton, he avoids a confrontation and hopes for the best. If we assume he's INTP, his wife would be his opposite, as she certainly seems to be - social, opinionated, engineering meetings between her daughters and eligible men, "a woman with a mission." Her husband is much more likely to let things develop and only deal with them when absolutely necessary.

When proved wrong, he swings all the way over to the other side - "no officers will be ever be allowed in town." That feels like a very familiar INTP pattern to me. And an INTJ who said he wasn't allowing Lydia and Wickham into his home after their cobbled-together marriage would really mean it.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Ah. I see where you're coming from now.
    I don't see him as respecting social convention, not as much as Bingley anyhow.
    Wouldn't he have been gracious and danced at the dance if he cared about convention?

The social ideal was inculcated into him from an early age. He was from the rich landowners set. In those days the chasms betweens "classes" were much more significant than they are now. I guess that's why I thought he might have a high "S" factor. He wanted to do the right thing, what he was "expected" to do.

Yet in the end, he could not deny himself the pleasure of being married to a woman he admired for her beauty and for her love of the outdoors, even though her relations were "so far below" his own.

Could an F really say - when they are NOT angry - it's against my better judgment, since I'm so much better than you, but would you marry me? You can't get any more T than that! Poor thing.
    He was just stating facts. Nothing personal.

I don't know. Maybe Fs do that, too. If so, I fear I will never be able to tell them apart!

I think an F who truly felt that they were in danger of being preyed upon or that they had no control over the situation. Male NF feel at a loss in the world because of their soft natures, they learn early to use stubbornness and pride as a defense against being taken advantage of or thought as a weak. They will try to use their inferior T to deal with the world and because it is inferior it often comes accross as a very negative shadow. For the INFJ this would be Ti, very critical and nitpicky, prone to supporting Fe type biases in a negative way. Fe decides who is to be made to feel included in a group but remember the opposite of this is also who is not to be made to feel included in a group.

Darcy is a man who is not in control, he loves and wants a woman who does not meet with his social class expectations. He is aware of the benefit to her to accept his proposal even if she cares nothing for him and he may get used and abused as a result because of his weakness/softness towards her. He cannot feel anything but at a disadvantage in that situation, so yes I think he might still hide behind the mantle of pride. "Okay, so I do love you but....."

I conceede to JayRae about the father likely being P rather than J.

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

I don't feel qualified to offer an opinion on these personality traits in the form of a type...I know that there are plenty of forum members much more skilled at that than I would be. I simply offer my observations.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

...and additionally, I did not realize in a thread titled Jane Austen-Masterpiece Theater that my observations would have to be limited to Austen's written word... I thought that this was a discussion of portrayals of Austen's characters; in both her own original writings and the subsequent recent dramatic interpretations that seemed to be the subject most discussed on this thread.

If a scholarly interpretation of character types is to be compiled, using the best available information both on Austen and MBTI, I must apologize for falling far short of the qualifications necessary for such an endeavour.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    My guess for Jane Bennet--- ISFP
    Mr. Bennet --- INTJ
    Mrs. Bennet --- ESFJ
    Mr. Bingley ---- ESFP
    Lydia Bennet ---- ESTP
    Mr. Darcy --- INFJ (He is just a little too prissy for me to say INTJ!)
    Elizabeth Bennet ---ENFJ

Rebuttals are both welcomed and encouraged!
    Kitty Bennet - ISFJ
    Mary Bennet - ISTJ
    Charlotte Lucas - INTP
    Catherine de Bourgh - ENTJ
    Lizzie's aunt (Gardiner) - INFP

Jae Rae

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch63 View Post
    ...and additionally, I did not realize in a thread titled Jane Austen-Masterpiece Theater that my observations would have to be limited to Austen's written word... I thought that this was a discussion of portrayals of Austen's characters; in both her own original writings and the subsequent recent dramatic interpretations that seemed to be the subject most discussed on this thread.

If a scholarly interpretation of character types is to be compiled, using the best available information both on Austen and MBTI, I must apologize for falling far short of the qualifications necessary for such an endeavour.
    I highly enjoyed reading your longer post and very happy to see someone take such enjoyment in discussing the issues.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    I don't see Mr. Bennet as an INTJ. He mostly keeps to his library, reading and appreciating his two older daughters. He's not openly critical of people, even Darcy, though he makes fun of them. He's a very Rational man; INTJs seem more emotional to me than that.

I see him as more of a P than a J. Eg, he avoids taking a stand with Lydia; rather than forbidding her to go to Brighton, he avoids a confrontation and hopes for the best. If we assume he's INTP, his wife would be his opposite, as she certainly seems to be - social, opinionated, engineering meetings between her daughters and eligible men, "a woman with a mission." Her husband is much more likely to let things develop and only deal with them when absolutely necessary.

When proved wrong, he swings all the way over to the other side - "no officers will be ever be allowed in town." That feels like a very familiar INTP pattern to me. And an INTJ who said he wasn't allowing Lydia and Wickham into his home after their cobbled-together marriage would really mean it.

Jae Rae
    I agree. INTP or perhaps INFP.

I think Mrs. Bennett is an ESTP or perhaps ESFP. I don't know those types well.
    She's "silly" in her husband's opinion, and he's lost all respect for her.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch63 View Post

So sorry. You are quite right.
    This thread was originally started to discuss the Masterpiece Theatre presentations that are playing every week in Jan through March.

I was being too much of a purist, I guess, as usual.

And with an avatar like that, you are certainly more than welcome!!

heart on fire

I agree. INTP or perhaps INFP.

I think Mrs. Bennett is an ESTP or perhaps ESFP. I don't know those types well.
    She's "silly" in her husband's opinion, and he's lost all respect for her.
    I think she's ESFJ, she reminds me of some I have known. From this book I read about the games types play, she seems to play the worrying game very well. So have the ESFJ I am thinking of.

MBTI
    INFJ

So sorry. You are quite right.
    This thread was originally started to discuss the Masterpiece Theatre presentations that are playing every week in Jan through March.

I was being too much of a purist, I guess, as usual.
    I was typing according to the 1995 A&E version of Pride & Prejudice, which to my mind is the superior dramatization. I've read the book but don't remember enough to go by that.

Jae Rae