User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFJ

Default waltz

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I bookmarked the blog.

So you're saying the waltz hadn't been invented yet?
    The waltz existed, but wasn't accepted by polite society in England until some years after it crossed the Channel. Fanny and Edmund were touching, not just hand to hand, but holding each other in their arms. They were married at the time, so it wasn't so scandalous, but as late as the mid-1800s many people were anti-waltz; then Queen Victoria came out as a waltz lover and the furor was over.

I don't know Austen well enough to know if she mentions waltzing in her books.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    The waltz existed, but wasn't accepted by polite society in England until some years after it crossed the Channel. Fanny and Edmund were touching, not just hand to hand, but holding each other in their arms. They were married at the time, so it wasn't so scandalous, but as late as the mid-1800s many people were anti-waltz; then Queen Victoria came out as a waltz lover and the furor was over.

I don't know Austen well enough to know if she mentions waltzing in her books.

Jae Rae
    Like a true nerd, I went and checked. The word waltz was not mentioned in Mansfield Park. I'm sure it was artistic license on the part of the scriptwriter, but I wonder why they bothered putting that in there since we know of no time before hand where they had time to practice. Kind of silly really.

I wonder how husbands and wives danced together at a wedding before that? Maybe they didn't?

MBTI
    INFJ

They were trying to show that Fanny and Edmund were a different kind of couple, who married for love not money, in contrast to the mannered union of Edmund's older sister and the one envisioned by her family for Fanny.

Jae Rae

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    They were trying to show that Fanny and Edmund were a different kind of couple, who married for love not money, in contrast to the mannered union of Edmund's older sister and the one envisioned by her family for Fanny.

Jae Rae
    I suppose they accomplished that.

MBTI
    INFJ

In a related vein - does anyone remember Poldark? It first appeared on Masterpiece Theater in the mid-70s. I fell in love with those characters, especially Demelza. It was set in post-Revolutionary War England.

Jae Rae

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Poldark was a good show!

You know I watched a little of these last few Austen shows...it is as if they have pushed the pace and volume...they lack the subtlety of The Firth/Ehle PP and the Persuasion with Ciaran Hinds. And these along with SS (Thompson) had better musical scores. The newer versions seem to lack...soul and maybe a decent budget.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

heart on fire

Yes, I remember Poldark. I agree it was a great show about a interesting time. My favorite Masterpiece Theater production will probably always be "To Serve Them All My Days." I loved that series so much. The character David Powlett-Jonesis just so great, I seriously adore that character. Probably one of my all time favorite characters in literature.

I have to agree with Hirsch about these new productions of Austen's works, souless, vapid.

MBTI
    INFJ

I guess we're lucky we missed Persuasion. I liked Northanger Abbey and Mansfield Park, but I've never seen other versions of them. My Janey friend said she was really disappointed in the casting of Fanny, and I agree she was a bit horsey-looking.

Jae Rae

heart on fire

I have to admit I find the 1999 version of Mansfield Park to be better than the latest version.

MBTI
    INFJ

Thank you, Heart for the recommendations. Is there a version of Northanger Abbey you like?

Jae Rae