User Tag List

First 123412 Last

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

I caught the showing of Persuasion last night. I actually haven't had any other experience with Jane Austen other than this and Sense and Sensibility (the Ang Lee, Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet version).

My thoughts:
    Either romantic comedy storylines haven't changed much, or this adaptation was very reductionist/ made with very modern sensibilities. In the first half the characters meet cute and fall in love. In the second half they struggle to express this and/or realize this in a complicated plot that could generally be resolved by everyone confessing their feelings. Of course, Persuasion is somewhat missing the first half of this equation, and so perhaps it is a failure of this adaptation that I didn't really get to see what Anne and Captain Wentworth love so much about each other. (It's just a given.)

I wonder if I should read a Jane Austen novel. I don't know which one though! Maybe the shortest.

It also took me the entire movie to finally get that I recognized the actor who played Captain Wentworth from Masterpiece Theater's adaptation of Casanova with David Tennant and Peter O'Toole. That was genius.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Yes, I agree, it was so deeply disappointing. But I am holding out hope that some of the others they present in the next weeks will not be so flat.
    The 5 hours with Colin Firth in Pride and Prejudice will be quite satisfying! (I've seen it 3 or 4 times already!)

I'm not so sure about the new productions though. But like you, I am hoping.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    I caught the showing of Persuasion last night. I actually haven't had any other experience with Jane Austen other than this and Sense and Sensibility (the Ang Lee, Emma Thompson, Kate Winslet version).

My thoughts:
    Either romantic comedy storylines haven't changed much, or this adaptation was very reductionist/ made with very modern sensibilities. In the first half the characters meet cute and fall in love. In the second half they struggle to express this and/or realize this in a complicated plot that could generally be resolved by everyone confessing their feelings. Of course, Persuasion is somewhat missing the first half of this equation, and so perhaps it is a failure of this adaptation that I didn't really get to see what Anne and Captain Wentworth love so much about each other. (It's just a given.)

I wonder if I should read a Jane Austen novel. I don't know which one though! Maybe the shortest.

It also took me the entire movie to finally get that I recognized the actor who played Captain Wentworth from Masterpiece Theater's adaptation of Casanova with David Tennant and Peter O'Toole. That was genius.
    The part I bolded I believe is correct.
    You will love Austen's writing if you like wit, a little sarcasm and nobility.
    Pride and Prejudice is her best work in my opinion, though the others are good.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post

My thoughts:

In my opinion Persuasion is the best of her novels, but don't let this latest version be an example of it.

I didn't like Casanova much. It seemed somewhat cheesy.

MBTI
    GONE

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    This latest version of Persuasion was lackluster.
    Did you like the previous version where the main characters were older? I find it interesting how in this version the guy was younger and hotter and the main character was much more 'action oriented'...she ran a lot! They even used fake hand held shots with all that shaking and running. I never read Persuasion but thought it was supposed to be 'autumnal'. Wasn't she considered an 'old maid' by the time the story starts?

I like both versions. There was more angst in this latest one.

I love me some Jane Austen and Dickens on Masterpiece. My INTP friend is really into period pieces, more than me and I was the only person she knew who might even be interested in seeing that Jane Austen biopic that came out last year.

MBTI
    GONE

Also, 'Nicholas Nickelby' on Masterpiece is very entertaining. Plus, there is hotness all around.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    I never read Persuasion but thought it was supposed to be 'autumnal'.
    Anne is 27 years old. In her day, she was considered an old maid.

In Pride and Prejudice, Charlotte was 28.

heart on fire

I was flipping through the channels after being totally put comatose by the first fifteen mintues of Northanger Abbey and the other PBS channel had the Masterpiece version of Dracula. They really did a good job with that one I think, which surprised me. It seems like they are going with the others so politically correct and staid that they drain all the vitality out of them. I saw a review for this version of Dracula calling it:

Dark, sexy and fresh...

-- The London Observer

I have to agree, they did a good job with that one, for whatever reason.

MBTI
    INTJ

So Northanger Abbey wasn't good?
    I couldn't watch it because every tv in the house was being used!

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    So Northanger Abbey wasn't good?
    I couldn't watch it because every tv in the house was being used!
    I got really bored with it and I am very much into period pieces. However I saw people giving it good reviews on Netflix. Maybe I am hard to please, lol.