User Tag List

First 311121314 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
    Ah, Video Tape... I remember video tape. I was one of those kids who actually knew how to program a VCR. Nowadays I just pay an extra ten bucks a month for Digital Video Recording service on my cable box. It has seriously revolutionized my television watching (for better or worse). If you have a Windows Media edition PC with a cable input, its pretty easy too.
    I used to sort of scratch my head at all those jokes about not knowing how to program a vcr until we got the one we own now. You would not BELIEVE all the settings you have to go through to program the doggone thing! The first time I tried, I did it wrong and lost my program that I wanted to see, and now I'm afraid to try it again. I have to use the owners manual. It's very anti-intuitive.

MBTI
    INTJ

Yeah, usually what I did to learn was set it to record a show in the next 15 min and see if it worked. Then, after a few tries I got the hang of it and became confident that it would work for the shows that I wanted.

The one problem with the DVR is that it isn't always smart enough (if not programmed manually) to catch the program if it starts a few minutes early or ends a few minutes late. There is nothing more frustrating than watching an hour long show on DVR only to find out the last minute of the show was cut off.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Apollonian View Post
    Yeah, usually what I did to learn was set it to record a show in the next 15 min and see if it worked. Then, after a few tries I got the hang of it and became confident that it would work for the shows that I wanted.
    That's what I need to do, but I keep forgetting.

There is nothing more frustrating than watching an hour long show on DVR only to find out the last minute of the show was cut off.
    Don't I KNOW it!

MBTI
    INTJ

I really enjoyed Emma last night. Very well done, good story.

MBTI
    INTP

The costuming was quite good for that production of "Emma" but the pacing was off and holy cow was Kate Beckinsale miscast. Her beestung lips were totally inappropriate to that era. She looked and acted like a teenager in an American high school production. Even her accent was horrible (and she's British). The supporting cast was better. Lucy Robinson's Mrs. Elton was thoroughly enjoyable, right on par with Angela Pleasence's Lady Bertram in the 1983 BBC miniseries of "Mansfield Park." Raymond Coulthard played a very strong Frank Churchill. Mark Strong's Knightley was a good effort but a little weak in places. I would have liked to have seen him be more gallant although he did the Box Hill reprimand scene well (always a litmus test for productions of "Emma," for me).

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by skip View Post
    The costuming was quite good for that production of "Emma" but the pacing was off and holy cow was Kate Beckinsale miscast. Her beestung lips were totally inappropriate to that era. She looked and acted like a teenager in an American high school production. Even her accent was horrible (and she's British). The supporting cast was better. Lucy Robinson's Mrs. Elton was thoroughly enjoyable, right on par with Angela Pleasence's Lady Bertram in the 1983 BBC miniseries of "Mansfield Park." Raymond Coulthard played a very strong Frank Churchill. Mark Strong's Knightley was a good effort but a little weak in places. I would have liked to have seen him be more gallant although he did the Box Hill reprimand scene well (always a litmus test for productions of "Emma," for me).
    If that was Kate B. who played Emma, then I don't know how they could take someone who is so nice looking and make her so unattractive.

I agree that "the Box Hill reprimand" was well done. I enjoyed the whole movie.

This was the only film that made me want to read the book it was depicting.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    If that was Kate B. who played Emma, then I don't know how they could take someone who is so nice looking and make her so unattractive.
    I had the same reaction.

We watched the Laurence Olivier/Greer Garson P&P last night. LOL awful. Karen Morley as Charlotte Lucas is beautiful, not plain. Edna May Oliver as Lady Catherine is marvelous, though.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jae Rae View Post
    I had the same reaction.

We watched the Laurence Olivier/Greer Garson P&P last night. LOL awful. Karen Morley as Charlotte Lucas is beautiful, not plain. Edna May Oliver as Lady Catherine is marvelous, though.

Jae Rae
    I think I know what you mean.
    I've tried watching movies from the 40's or whatever,
    and they were produced and directed so differently than we're used to.
    Oh, dear. They're difficult to bear!

heart on fire

Enjoyed this version very much myself.

What do people think about Emma herself in the written story?

I think Austen did a masterful work with this story. I mean Emma is not really a particularly likable person. Snobby, using people for her own glorification, yet I find myself totally rooting for her happiness and sympathetic to her pains. When she ends up with the man who wants to help her be a better person, I am so happy.

What do others think?

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I think I know what you mean.
    I've tried watching movies from the 40's or whatever,
    and they were produced and directed so differently than we're used to.
    Oh, dear. They're difficult to bear!
    Yes, I agree. Older period movies tend to come accross stiff.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I also like Clueless!

MBTI
    INFJ

Tomorrow night is Sense & Sensibility, Part I on Masterpiece Theatre.

The little review guy in our newspaper is clapping hard and falling out of his seat. Looks like it's a good one.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.