User Tag List

First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I think she's ESFJ, she reminds me of some I have known. From this book I read about the games types play, she seems to play the worrying game very well. So have the ESFJ I am thinking of.
    Well, I guess I was buying into the stereotype of the "silly" SP female.
    She's also conniving and manipulative the way she makes Jane go to Netherfield, knowing it will rain, that Jane will get sick, that they'll be obliged to keep her there, etc.

She is shallow-minded because she was all worried about Lydia running away until she found out Lydia was going to get married. Marriage fixed everything. She wasn't embarrassed about the way in which her daughter's "scandalously patched up marriage" shone a bad light on the family reputation.

I just think of SJs as socially proper people. They are the traditionalists. The stalwarts of society.

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Well, I guess I was buying into the stereotype of the "silly" SP female.
    She's also conniving and manipulative the way she makes Jane go to Netherfield, knowing it will rain, that Jane will get sick, that they'll be obliged to keep her there, etc.

She is shallow-minded because she was all worried about Lydia running away until she found out Lydia was going to get married. Marriage fixed everything. She wasn't embarrassed about the way in which her daughter's "scandalously patched up marriage" shone a bad light on the family reputation.

I just think of SJs as socially proper people. They are the traditionalists. The stalwarts of society.
    The appreance of being proper is very important, but if they have negative traits, they can be very improper in private, they can lead double lives, especially for F with T shadow. jmo. I have had trouble typing my MIL because her external persona with strangers is very different from the side the family knows. It can be so confusing.

BTW, it is her worrying and cries of "nerves" that most makes me want to say ESFJ because of my experiences with them, but I could be wrong in her case of course. I think an ESFP might be more relaxed about the marry well bit too. Lack of proper education in culture might effect how well an SJ adheres to the external standard, they can only adhere as they understand it to be. Any type can be affected by lack of basic perspective on themselves (neurotic) and how they relate to others as well I am thinking. She might well have been ESFP.

(Warning, I am being NP here, exploring the idea for the sheer sake of exploring. I am not married to any of my guesses here, enjoying hearing other pov.)

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Well, see if you can wrap your mind around this: Mrs. Bennett in virtually every respect, resembles my mother.

I am not kidding. I greatly sympathize with Lizzie and Mr. Bennett.

The irony of this is that when all these Austen dramatizations started to air...Mom fell absolutely in love with them to the point of obsession. She could not even see herself in Mrs. Bennett...It was mind-bending.

Of course I would not want to see myself as Mr. Collins....and perhaps I am closest to him in many ways though I would like to be indentified with just about anyone else. At least he is focused.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Hirsch63 View Post
    Well, see if you can wrap your mind around this: Mrs. Bennett in virtually every respect, resembles my mother.

The irony of this is that when all these Austen dramatizations started to air...Mom fell absolutely in love with them to the point of obsession. She could not even see herself in Mrs. Bennett...It was mind-bending.

Of course I would not want to see myself as Mr. Collins....and perhaps I am closest to him in many ways though I would like to be identified with just about anyone else. At least he is focused.
    I would find it hard to believe anyone would actually be like Mr. Collins. I don't think you have to worry about that.

MBTI
    INTJ

Default online text of Pride and Prejudice

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Search, Read, Study, Discuss.

Just as a talking point, I thought I would quote this piece from the book. This is the only insight into Mr & Mrs Bennet's relationship we get, in a large chunk anyway. I highlighted the parts that give insight into Mrs. Bennet. Maybe it might help give us insight into her type.

"Chapter 42
    HAD Elizabeth's opinion been all drawn from her own family, she could not have formed a very pleasing picture of conjugal felicity or domestic comfort. Her father, captivated by youth and beauty, and that appearance of good humour which youth and beauty generally give, had married a woman whose weak understanding and illiberal mind had, very early in their marriage, put an end to all real affection for her. Respect, esteem, and confidence had vanished for ever; and all his views of domestic happiness were overthrown. But Mr. Bennet was not of a disposition to seek comfort, for the disappointment which his own imprudence had brought on, in any of those pleasures which too often console the unfortunate for their folly or their vice. He was fond of the country and of books; and from these tastes had arisen his principal enjoyments. To his wife he was very little otherwise indebted, than as her ignorance and folly had contributed to his amusement. This is not the sort of happiness which a man would in general wish to owe to his wife; but where other powers of entertainment are wanting, the true philosopher will derive benefit from such as are given.
    Elizabeth, however, had never been blind to the impropriety of her father's behaviour as a husband. She had always seen it with pain; but respecting his abilities, and grateful for his affectionate treatment of herself, she endeavoured to forget what she could not overlook, and to banish from her thoughts that continual breach of conjugal obligation and decorum which, in exposing his wife to the contempt of her own children, was so highly reprehensible. But she had never felt so strongly as now the disadvantages which must attend the children of so unsuitable a marriage, nor ever been so fully aware of the evils arising from so ill-judged a direction of talents; talents which rightly used, might at least have preserved the respectability of his daughters, even if incapable of enlarging the mind of his wife."

By the way, in Webster's 1828 definition, illiberal meant something different than it does today.

1. Not noble; not ingenuous; of a contracted mind. Cold in charity; in religion, illiberal.

2. Not candid; uncharitable in judging.

3. Not generous; not munificent; sparing of gifts.

4. Not becoming a well bred man.

5. Not pure; not well authorized or elegant; as illiberal words in Latin.

MBTI
    INFJ

Of possible interest to the Austenphiles:

Jane Austen Society - Northern California Region

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    INFJ

Here's another link:

Miladies, milords, this way for the Austen party

The Jane Austen Society has been meeting in San Francisco. Although I'm not a JASNA member, I attended the last SF meeting in 1997 and it was really fun, with lectures about her books, exhibits, and lots of folks dressed in period costume.

Jae Rae
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

heart on fire

Of course I would not want to see myself as Mr. Collins....and perhaps I am closest to him in many ways though I would like to be indentified with just about anyone else. At least he is focused.
    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I would find it hard to believe anyone would actually be like Mr. Collins. I don't think you have to worry about that.

DO you have an elegant benefactress?

MBTI
    IS??
    Socionics
    InFj

Alas, Our Master has not yet favoured me with the condescension of one elegant enough to sustain me in my vocation.
    Patriotism is the last refuge to which a scoundrel clings...Steal a little and they throw you in jail, steal a lot and they make you a king

heart on fire

Alas, Our Master has not yet favoured me with the condescension of one elegant enough to sustain me in my vocation.
    That is truly a pity, sir.