User Tag List

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Books From Childhood!

Patron Saint Of Smileys Array Gloriana's Avatar

Question Your Favorite Books From Childhood!

I was inspired InsatiableCuriosity's thread about disappointing reads. I noticed a couple of us recalling childhood books and I thought it deserved its own thread!

Also, I was just wondering if any of you remember 'book fairs' coming to your school as a child?

When I was little we would get these handouts in the classroom that were 2-3 pages (almost thin as tissue paper) and it was all books that could be ordered. I'd bring it home, I'd decide which 3-4 books I wanted, then I'd bring in my order form and check from home. Then, like 2 weeks later the 'book fair' would arrive and set up in the school library. I'd go up to the table and there would be this big packet of books just for me

I have such fond memories of that and I still get happy flashbacks when I get a bundle of books in the mail. Any of you remember anything similar as a kid?

Ok, without further ado: What were your favorite books as a kid? As a teenager?

When I Was Little:

*Little House On The Prairie Series (I still read the entire series every five years or so)
    *Anne Of Green Gables Series.
    *The Secret Garden.
    *The Witches & The Grinnygog.
    * ANY ghost stories I could get my hands on.
    * Choose Your Own Adventure Books (I still have them and they're still awesome!)

When I Was A Teenager:

*Catcher In The Rye (Go ahead, mock me, it's okay I can take it)
    *The Liar
    *H.P. Lovecraft Books (I only read these because my older brother said they were over my head and I wanted to prove him wrong, ha)
    *Edgar Allen Poe (esp. Murders In Rue Morgue & Telltale Heart)
    *The Hobbit
    *Letters From A Nut 1&2 (It was like the written version of The Jerky Boys prank phone calls)
    *Shakespeare (Hamlet, Taming Of The Shrew, Othello.)
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

Starcrossed Seafarer Array Aquarelle's Avatar

1. Book fairs were the BOMB!

2. I also love Catcher in the Rye. Still do.

3. My favorite childhood books:

and last but not least... the Berenstain Bears not this book specifically; any of them!)
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert

Aspiring Troens Ridder Array KLessard's Avatar

-The Secret Garden (Frances Hodgson Burnett)
    -The Moorchild (Eloise McGraw)
    -Emily of New Moon (Lucy Maud Montgomery)
    -La Vraie histoire du chien de Clara Vic and its sequel, Bibitsa ou l'étrange voyage de Clara Vic (Christiane Duchesne)
    -La 42e soeur de Bébert (Christiane Duchesne) (a francophone Québec author who has won the Governor General's award several times)
    -The Pilgrim's Progress (John Bunyan)

Books I wish I had discovered as a youth, but only read later:

-The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn (Mark Twain)
    -Freak the Mighty (Rodman Philbrick)
    -The Lord of the Rings (Tolkien)
    -Treasure Island (Robert Louis Stevenson)

I grew up in Québec (Canada's French-speaking province) and didn't have access to all those great classics. (I didn't read English as a child). Francophone literature isn't so rich with youth literature. But I was blessed to see many good film adpatations of these books when I was young.

i grew up reading enid blyton. and judy blume.
    oscar wilde's happy prince and other tales is probably my favourite.
    every normal man must be tempted, at times,
    to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag,
    and begin slitting throats.
    h.l. mencken

Honor Thy Inferior Array Such Irony's Avatar
    5w6 sp/so
    LII Ne

I liked Beverly Cleary's Ramona books and Judy Blumes Fudge books. I was a sucker for books about younger siblings who often did humorous things that got them in trouble.
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Neutral Good

Klingon Warrior Princess Array Patches's Avatar
    6w5 sp/sx

The entire Animorphs series.

“Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman

152 so/sx
    INTp Ni

When I was 17 - now: I stopped reading fiction novels. (Except for Thank You for Smoking, Slaughterhouse-Five, 1984 and the Harry Potter series). Lol. My list contains mostly non-fiction, short stories, plays, poems or excerpts from books. Being forced to read "'The Grapes of Wrath" in my junior year nearly killed any joy I had left for classroom books.

Though if I had more time, some of the classic novels I'd like to visit includes works from Victor Hugo, H.P Lovecraft, Alexandre Dumas and Fyodor Dostoyevsky. I tried reading Austen in high school (and middle school as well), but I still find her novels *boring* to this day. I want my reading to be an experience, not a long, long narrative. Getting married isn't precisely my opinion of excitement.

When I was 16 and younger:

*To Kill A Mocking Bird
    *Harry Potter Series (again)
    *The Crucible
    *A Doll's House
    *The Scarlet Letter
    *The Great Gatsby
    *Lord of the Rings Trilogy
    *Call Of The Wild
    *Cyrano de Bergerac
    *The Metamorphosis

When I was 11 and younger:

*The Clue (and Clue Jr.) Series
    *The Velveteen Rabbit
    *The Wayside School Series
    *Where The Red Fern Grows
    *Harry Potter Series
    *Shel Silverstein's Poems
    *A Christmas Carol
    *The Dollhouse Murders
    *Behind the Attic Wall
    *The Brother (Sisters) Grimm Fairy Tales
    *Greek Mythologies
    *The Wringer

... And more mystery, horror or thriller novels I don't remember the title of.

When I was 6 and younger:

*Goodnight Moon
    *The Nutcracker
    *The Lorax
    *Oh, the Places You'll Go!
    *Where the Wild Things Are
    *The Curious George Series
    *The Dragon Series (Dav Pilkey)
    *Lyle, Lyle, Crocodile
    *Martha Speaks

Quote Originally Posted by Gloriana
    When I Was Little:

*Little House On The Prairie Series (I still read the entire series every five years or so)
    *The Secret Garden.
    * ANY ghost stories I could get my hands on.
    * Choose Your Own Adventure Books (I still have them and they're still awesome!)
    *High Fives* I especially loved the last two.
    "I cannot expect even my own art to provide all of the answers -- only to hope it keeps asking the right questions." -- Grace Hartigan

Enneagram: Tritype - 1w9, 5 (balanced wings), 2w3; Overall Variant: So/Sx
    SLOAN: rCoa|I|
    Functional Preferences: Ni, Te/Fi, Ti, Se, Fe, Si, Ne

Quote Originally Posted by OneWithSoul View Post
    Looking into the eyes of a [Ni user] is like peeking through a portal into a parallel universe.

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    549 sx/sp
    LII Ni

My first favorite book was "Are You My Mother?"

Apparently I read this book / wanted it read to me over and over, so much that my copy was falling apart. My parents got tired of it and somehow managed to conveniently "lose" the book.

... whereupon a family friend bought me a new copy for Christmas that year.

Somehow everyone remained friends.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Oh, I was a total bookworm as a kid. I remember a book I turned into a cabbage when I was 6 - The Wonderful Adventures of Nils by Selma Lagerlöf. Read that over and over again, always carried it around, what a weirdo.

Books by Astrid Lindgren were always my favourites. Karlson on the Roof; The Children of Noisy Village; Ronia, the Robber's Daughter; the Pippi Longstocking series; The Brothers Lionheart; etc.

Later on I couldn't get enough of the Sherlock Holmes stories by Arthur Conan Doyle. The Tarzan and the Martian series by Edgar Rice Burroughs. Dracula by Bram Stoker. The Three Musketeers and the sequels by Alexandre Dumas. The Leatherstocking Tales by James Fenimore Cooper. Books by Karl May with the characters of Winnetou and Old Shatterhand. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. Anything by Agatha Christie!!! Basically, I read anything with a hint of adventure, thriller, crime, mystery. Good times.

In my teens I expanded my interest on to works by Jane Austen, the Brontë sisters, Shakespeare...stuff like that.

I was and still am into the classics a lot and even though I read anything that piques my interest, I always turn back to the classics. Oh, this is great, it brings back so many wonderful memories. Now I want to start reading those books all over again.

Retired Member Array
    9w1 sx/sp
    EII Fi

I read (and loved) the whole Tomorrow, When the War Began series. I also loved anything by Roald Dahl - his books were the first I remember reading.