• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your Favorite Books From Childhood!

Spamtar

Ghost Monkey Soul
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The Yeggs and the Yabbits (sp)
Curious George
Wind and the Willows

The Great Brain

The White Mountains series

Children books I have enjoyed reading as an adult to my niece that I missed as a kid:
1. Pippi longstocking,
2. The Phantom Tollboth and
3. Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator and other books by Roald Dahl

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
As a child, I was a great fan of Roald Dahl, especially Matilda, which I've five times. CS Lewis's Chronicles of Narnia were another group of books I was obsessed with.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The White Mountains series

I totally forgot those!

I think I still have them too -- by John Christopher... a spin on "War of the Worlds" with the tentacles tripod monsters. That was a cool yarn, esp Beanpole.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Hmm... I'll keep it from age 14 and younger

Anything by Madeline L'Engle
Anything by Anne McCaffrey
The Dark is Rising sequence by Susan Cooper
Several books by Lloyd Alexander
The Hero and the Crown and The Blue Sword by Robin McKinley
Dicey's Song and other books by Cynthia Voigt
Anne of Green Gables series
JRR Tolkien (I believe I'd only personally read The Hobbit prior to high school, but my father had read all of the LOTR books to my brother and I as children)

I also tended to hone in on Newbery Medal books as a general rule. I read a LOT. The above are just some favorites that I'm recalling.

Yeah... d'ya think I was primarily interested in Fantasy books? :) :whistling:

Moiety

MBTI Type
ISFJ
I bought a number of them, all first edition -- any time I saw a new one, I had bought it. I might still have them in a box somewhere -- probably the first 20-25 that came out. Then I went to college and I stopped. I still have my original Sorcery! set.

I never had any of the Sorcery ones I don't think.My fantasy world was heavily influences by Fighting Fantasy though. I still see the pictures inside my head and get warm fuzzy feelings when imagining it all lol

I also didn't finish most of the books. I just wanted to get a feel for the world mythos and then have adventures inside my head.

Noon

Those ones, I ran into (and read many/all of them) because my kids were reading them. (I immensely liked the art for both as well.) Others that I liked, text and art:

Captain Underpants series
Rumplestiltskin's Daughter
Harry Potter (although I've only read two books)
The Golden Compass series (although I didn't like the end as much)

Man, I can't believe I forgot Captain Underpants!
I loved those books.

Your kids have nice taste :cheese:

I remember trying to get into HP, but it never clicked well with me. It's odd, I enjoy the theme and learning *about* it, I just don't really enjoy how it all plays out. IOW, I guess I prefer the world and the work she put into it over the stories.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I remember trying to get into HP, but it never clicked well with me. It's odd, I enjoy the theme and learning *about* it, I just don't really enjoy how it all plays out. IOW, I guess I prefer the world and the work she put into it over the stories.

With HP, it's been weird -- when I'm reading, I like the story. I think she's talented, she can pull people in, it's enjoyable to read. I just can't seem to really focus on the book too long; I lose steam and find myself indifferent to finishing.

My eldest read all of them... and quickly.
At least I beat him on aSoUE, though. :)

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
This one was my favorite, by far!

cover155841.jpg

Still love it.

forzen

MBTI Type
INTJ
Animorphs
Goosebumps
Sword of Truth
Dragonlance Trilogy
Sword of Truth (I stopped reading at book 5)
Forgotten Realm (mostly books about Drizzt)
Random dinosaur books (I loved reading about dinosaurs when I was a kid)
Random astronomy books (I loved reading about astronomy when I was a kid)
Random Roman Mythology books (I loved reading about Roman Mythology when I was a kid)

I'm sure theres more since my idea of fun when I was little was to go to the library.

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yes, to all those that said the Atlas! How could I forget pouring over it as a child?
Those big books of random questions and answers with explanations, too.
And the medical encyclopedia set. :yes: :reading:

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ooh, I loved Choose Your Own Adventure, and also Encyclopedia Brown. It was a format that presented a mystery starring the child detective Enyclopedia Brown, you were supposed to solve it an then read the answer in the back.

The Childcraft collection rocked my childhood. It was like a mini Library of Alexandria. My favorite books in the set was the Math book, and the one with world stories in it. I spent hours in days pouring over that set.

angelicabeads

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
My favorite book read when i was a child is Madeleine L'Engle's "A Wrinkle in Time"! Oh, how I adored that book! I read all of the Little House books, too, and liked Nancy Drew as well. That probably accounts for my fondness for TV shows such as CSIs, Law and Orders, and the fantastic BBC Mysteries series. Can't miss any of those, especially those featuring Poirot, because I read Agatha Christie when I was only about 12 or so. I liked "Catcher in the Rye" very much, too, all of Jane Austen's novels, and read Tolkien as a teenager. I tried to read Shakespeare, but found it tough going because of the language used - too complex for me when I was young. One summer I decided I was going to read all the books in the branch library in my neighborhood, and so I started with the A's. By the end of the summer I'd only read up to the middle of the Ab section. Very interesting experience that was!! LOL!

Great topic. Thanks for the idea!!

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
So many, many books...
D'aulaires book of Greek Myths
D'aulaires book of Norse Myths
books on astronomy, caves, meteorolgy, and myths
This encyclopedia set my Mom bought us.
Pickles the Fire Cat
Tolkien's books
various books by C.S. Lewis

gah...there's so many...I can't remember them all!

Vasilisa

Symbolic Herald
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Fortunately or What Good Luck, What Bad Luck (published under different titles) by Remy Charlip. :wubbie:
Fortunately, One day Ned got a letter that said,
"Please come to a surprise party."
Unfortunately, The party was in Florida and he was in New York.​
Fortunately, a friend loaned Ned an airplane.
Unfortunately, the motor exploded.​
Fortunately, there was a parachute in the airplane.
Unfortunately, there was a hole in the parachute.​

I loved this book. It was so fantastical and there was a lot of peril, but to me the alternating highs and lows emphasized the importance of recognizing the long view - not assuming things have been or always will be this way, realizing bad times and good times will come and go.
His illustrations are wonderful, too, of course.​
fortunately.jpg

Ingenue

What a wonderful thread!

So as a child I really loved adventure books, and stories about misfit girls...

The Little Prince
The Hobbit
Matilda (and all other Roald Dahl books)
Anne of Green Gables series
Ramona Quimby

As a teenager I really loved science fiction...

The Metamorphosis
Fahrenheit 451
anything by Issac Asimov

I would have really enjoyed the Harry Potter books as a child, had I been young enough when they came out. I still enjoyed reading them as an adult.

Lien

reminiscing

i have to admit, i don't remember.

baby books i like but don't feel deeply sentimental to (clifford, the big red dog, or curious george)

and the famous books, some make me nostalgic but they are just so well written, that i feel there are too many secrets that have been chipped off. to me, it's been polished and refined, too much.

i admit, i love the books written for children, the ones on the shelves of elementary and middle school libraries, or children libraries, but in a way that isn't children-babble. they are.. like a secret garden. a puzzle. something precious. the hearth by the fireplace, something i can immerse myself in day in and day out. i don't think i can like adult or famous books as much, because mostly they have this idea to be interesting, they wanna be good and remembered. i can only admire those books.

i could tell you the plot of many of those books i liked, but not the name.

now, my head thinks it's a good thing i don't remember these nameless books, thinking if i re-read them i'd think, it's not perfect, because they were by "amateurs". and that if they weren't, i wouldn't get the same emotion as i did before so i shouldn't ruin myself.

when i read between the lines, those imperfections don't matter. the imperfections aren't imperfections, but differences. when did i learn not to accept that. *& what they were named.. are they out of print.

oh, but a famous book i think that i really liked was "How To Kill A Mockingbird".

Patches

Klingon Warrior Princess
For some reason I have really vivid memories of/while reading this book and I'm not sure why. I don't remember thinking it was particularly amazing, and it was an elementary school assignment. But there must be some reason it's been preserved in my long-term memory.

MySideOfTheMountain.jpg