User Tag List

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Books From Childhood!

Symbolic Herald Array

Yes, to all those that said the Atlas! How could I forget pouring over it as a child?
    Those big books of random questions and answers with explanations, too.
    And the medical encyclopedia set.

4w5 sp/sx

Ooh, I loved Choose Your Own Adventure, and also Encyclopedia Brown. It was a format that presented a mystery starring the child detective Enyclopedia Brown, you were supposed to solve it an then read the answer in the back.

The Childcraft collection rocked my childhood. It was like a mini Library of Alexandria. My favorite books in the set was the Math book, and the one with world stories in it. I spent hours in days pouring over that set.

Junior Member Array

My favorite book read when i was a child is Madeleine L'Engle's "A Wrinkle in Time"! Oh, how I adored that book! I read all of the Little House books, too, and liked Nancy Drew as well. That probably accounts for my fondness for TV shows such as CSIs, Law and Orders, and the fantastic BBC Mysteries series. Can't miss any of those, especially those featuring Poirot, because I read Agatha Christie when I was only about 12 or so. I liked "Catcher in the Rye" very much, too, all of Jane Austen's novels, and read Tolkien as a teenager. I tried to read Shakespeare, but found it tough going because of the language used - too complex for me when I was young. One summer I decided I was going to read all the books in the branch library in my neighborhood, and so I started with the A's. By the end of the summer I'd only read up to the middle of the Ab section. Very interesting experience that was!! LOL!

Great topic. Thanks for the idea!!

don't fence me in Array sui generis's Avatar
    875 sx/sp

^^^ YES, I loved that one too!
    Murphy Brown: What is it with us? Why can't we take the easy road once in awhile?
    Avery Brown: Because it's boring and dishonest and uncomfortable, like wearing a pair of shoes all day that pinch your feet.

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

4w3 sp/sx

So many, many books...
    D'aulaires book of Greek Myths
    D'aulaires book of Norse Myths
    books on astronomy, caves, meteorolgy, and myths
    This encyclopedia set my Mom bought us.
    Pickles the Fire Cat
    Tolkien's books
    various books by C.S. Lewis

gah...there's so many...I can't remember them all!

Symbolic Herald Array

Fortunately or What Good Luck, What Bad Luck (published under different titles) by Remy Charlip.
    Fortunately, One day Ned got a letter that said,
    "Please come to a surprise party."
    Unfortunately, The party was in Florida and he was in New York.
    Fortunately, a friend loaned Ned an airplane.
    Unfortunately, the motor exploded.
    Fortunately, there was a parachute in the airplane.
    Unfortunately, there was a hole in the parachute.
    I loved this book. It was so fantastical and there was a lot of peril, but to me the alternating highs and lows emphasized the importance of recognizing the long view - not assuming things have been or always will be this way, realizing bad times and good times will come and go.
    His illustrations are wonderful, too, of course.

What a wonderful thread!

So as a child I really loved adventure books, and stories about misfit girls...

The Little Prince
    The Hobbit
    Matilda (and all other Roald Dahl books)
    Anne of Green Gables series
    Ramona Quimby

As a teenager I really loved science fiction...

The Metamorphosis
    Fahrenheit 451
    anything by Issac Asimov

I would have really enjoyed the Harry Potter books as a child, had I been young enough when they came out. I still enjoyed reading them as an adult.

Default reminiscing

i have to admit, i don't remember.

baby books i like but don't feel deeply sentimental to (clifford, the big red dog, or curious george)

and the famous books, some make me nostalgic but they are just so well written, that i feel there are too many secrets that have been chipped off. to me, it's been polished and refined, too much.

i admit, i love the books written for children, the ones on the shelves of elementary and middle school libraries, or children libraries, but in a way that isn't children-babble. they are.. like a secret garden. a puzzle. something precious. the hearth by the fireplace, something i can immerse myself in day in and day out. i don't think i can like adult or famous books as much, because mostly they have this idea to be interesting, they wanna be good and remembered. i can only admire those books.

i could tell you the plot of many of those books i liked, but not the name.

now, my head thinks it's a good thing i don't remember these nameless books, thinking if i re-read them i'd think, it's not perfect, because they were by "amateurs". and that if they weren't, i wouldn't get the same emotion as i did before so i shouldn't ruin myself.

when i read between the lines, those imperfections don't matter. the imperfections aren't imperfections, but differences. when did i learn not to accept that. *& what they were named.. are they out of print.

oh, but a famous book i think that i really liked was "How To Kill A Mockingbird".

Klingon Warrior Princess Array Patches's Avatar
    6w5 sp/sx

For some reason I have really vivid memories of/while reading this book and I'm not sure why. I don't remember thinking it was particularly amazing, and it was an elementary school assignment. But there must be some reason it's been preserved in my long-term memory.

“Everybody has a secret world inside of them. All of the people of the world, I mean everybody. No matter how dull and boring they are on the outside, inside
    them they've all got unimaginable, magnificent, wonderful, stupid, amazing worlds. Not just one world. Hundreds of them. Thousands maybe.” -Neil Gaiman