User Tag List

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Favorite Books From Childhood!

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by mmhmm View Post
    i grew up reading enid blyton.
    Same!

The Famous Five and Secret Seven were books I ate as a wee tot.

Starcrossed Seafarer Array Aquarelle's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Favorite "chapter books":
    [IMG][/IMG]

(the whole series)
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

Junior Member Array
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

The first book I ever read was one of fairytales by Oscar Wilde. I also had some beautiful books of Irish folklore that I ADORED. Those are pretty much what I read from five through to seven or eight.

don't fence me in Array sui generis's Avatar
    MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx

Quote Originally Posted by paradigm-shift View Post
    I liked Beverly Cleary's Ramona books and Judy Blumes Fudge books.
    Me too. Loved Ramona, loved Fudge.

Also:

All of the Amelia Bedelia books, really, but I remember this one most clearly.

All of the Berenstain Bears books, too, but especially this one.

When I got a little older, I got into the Baby-Sitters Club and other similar series, like the Gymnasts and Bad News Ballet series.
    Last edited by sui generis; 08-06-2010 at 01:48 PM. Reason: add moar
    Murphy Brown: What is it with us? Why can't we take the easy road once in awhile?
    Avery Brown: Because it's boring and dishonest and uncomfortable, like wearing a pair of shoes all day that pinch your feet.

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

So many good ones have already been listed. I also especially loved The Secret Garden and later Shakespeare.

Here are some of mine.

Graeme Base's beautiful books

Zilpha Keatley Snyder's books

The Alice books

I have an unending love for folktales and fairytales that began when I was small. Here are a few of my favorites.

Afansyev's collection of folktales

Animalia by Barbara Berger

Jane Yolen's stories

Patron Saint Of Smileys Array Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

I've never heard of so many of these. I don't care if I'm an adult, I'm checking 'em out! Some of them look fantastic.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

This is bringing back memories. Let's see...I loved the Fudge books too, the Berenstein Bears...I remember a series of picture books with titles that began with "Let's Talk About...". They were all about certain types of behaviour in kids and why kids shouldn't engage in said behaviour. Let's Talk About Whining. Let's Talk about Being Selfish. Let's Talk About Being Lazy. Let's Talk About Stealing. I loved rereading these, even though they never led to any improvement in my behaviour. :devil

I liked Roald Dahl (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, Matilda, James and the Giant Peach...).

Anyone read Gordon Korman? He might not be that well-known outside of Canada, but he wrote novels at a junior high reading level, mostly involving young people getting into wild schemes. He had a series about a couple of guys at a boarding school called MacDonald Hall. I loved these, my brother and cousins did too.

Quote Originally Posted by mnestic View Post

When I got a little older, I got into the Baby-Sitters Club and other similar series, like the Gymnasts and Bad News Ballet series.
    Oh yeah. I read all of these. I also liked a series of books about young competitive ice skaters called "Silver Blades".

I had a huge collection of both Babysitters Club and Babysitters Little Sister books. I recommend this page to any former Babysitters' Club fans:

BSC Headquarters

It's the blog of a librarian who decided to reread some Babysitters' Club books. She gives her opinions and summaries as an adult. She particularly loves to snark on outfits, Karen Brewer, Stacey and the fact that everyone looks far older than 13 on the book covers.

Oooh, I also remember a series of books called "Survival". They were like choose your own adventure books, only each book was about surviving in nature as a certain animal. The titles were like, "Survival: Could you be a Mouse?" or "Survival: Could you be an Otter?". I remember books for deer, fox, squirrel.... In most of the possible endings, you'd end up dead. I think it was my fourth grade class that we were introduced to those. The kids liked them so much, we'd all hoard them in our desks instead of returning them to the class bookshelf.

don't fence me in Array sui generis's Avatar
    MBTI
    esTJ
    Enneagram
    875 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESTx

I thought of a couple more...

Murphy Brown: What is it with us? Why can't we take the easy road once in awhile?
    Avery Brown: Because it's boring and dishonest and uncomfortable, like wearing a pair of shoes all day that pinch your feet.

approx 55% ES, 90% TJ

The world atlas, especially the section in the front about the solar system.

I was a weird kid.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INTP

Lots of Little Golden Books and Dr. Seuss when I was a little kid.

The Ramona books, lots of Judy Blume, the Betsy-Tacy series, the Taffy Sinclair series, Madeleine L'Engle, all the typical pre-teen stuff. I remember going through a Trixie Belden mystery phase, too. Read lots of classic literature between 8th and 9th grade. Lots of biographies throughout high school.

And I used to read our set of World Books for fun, too. I kind of miss physical encyclopedias. There was so much I'd learn about because I turned past a picture that was interesting, then I'd read the article.
    Something Witty

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast