User Tag List

123 Last

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Default Most disappointing read

Lots of threads about great books but I also want to hear what wasn't so great. My biggest fiction disappointments over the last 5 years were with David and Leigh Eddings' books of the Elder Gods. I loved Eddings' earlier books but these were just appalling!

In the first and the second books the editors needed a bomb under them!! There were whole tracts of text that were repeated almost verbatim in two sections of the books. I didn't buy any more.
    :steam:
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Apparently they both died within the last few years.

I only ever read Eddings' Belgariad series, when I was a teenager. It seems that his wife was often a writing partner, just uncredited until the 90's.

Another author I'm disappointed with is Stephen King. A lot of his early work is actually decent (he's a great storyteller) and are books I occasionally reread, but the more popular he became, the more crap his publishers were willing to put out on the market. He definitely could use more editing input.

The first 3-4 books of his Dark Tower series (written in the 90's) were good, and Wizard & Glass is still one of my favorite books of his; but when he resumed things years later, Wolves of the Calla was god-awful and took me a few months to read through, and the last two books were of mixed benefit. I don't think I've read anything since.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Apparently they both died within the last few years.

I only ever read Eddings' Belgariad series, when I was a teenager. It seems that his wife was often a writing partner, just uncredited until the 90's.
    Sad to hear - the editors should have done THEIR job better. I loved the Belgariad and the subsequent spinoffs but not this last one.

Another author I'm disappointed with is Stephen King. A lot of his early work is actually decent (he's a great storyteller) and are books I occasionally reread, but the more popular he became, the more crap his publishers were willing to put out on the market. He definitely could use more editing input.

The first 3-4 books of his Dark Tower series (written in the 90's) were good, and Wizard & Glass is still one of my favorite books of his; but when he resumed things years later, Wolves of the Calla was god-awful and took me a few months to read through, and the last two books were of mixed benefit. I don't think I've read anything since.
    I agree on Stephen King completely but for me, I think his best were his early horror books.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    I agree on Stephen King completely but for me, I think his best were his early horror books.
    Yup. My absolute favorites are ones that appeared in the first 10-15 years max into his career:

- Carrie
    - The Shining
    - The Dead Zone
    - Firestarter
    - IT
    - The Stand
    - The Tommyknockers
    - Different Seasons

(Heck, I'll even reread Pet Sematary sometimes.)

The longer he went, the more duds that showed up with increasing frequency.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Habitual Fi LineStepper JocktheMotie's Avatar

ENFP posts.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

This is embarrassing to even admit -

So, a lot of my WoW friends kept talking about this series by an author called Jacqueline Carey. The first one was called 'Kushiel's Dart.' They talked about these books incessantly and how I needed to read them. So, I had my hopes high for some sort of interesting fantasy novel.

GOOD GOD. I've never actually been nauseated by a writer's style until I started reading this book. I could only get about 80 pages in before I just had to stop. Then I actually gave the book to a local charity because I couldn't even bear the thought of that crap being in my apartment.

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by JocktheMotie View Post
    ENFP posts.
    Oh no you dih-ent!!!

I can only think of two books that have ever disappointed me. I've read some that were 'meh' but I wouldn't say I felt disappointed or that I'd wasted my time. Very few have that effect on me.

Having said that, I HATED "The Rules Of Attraction" by Bret Easton Ellis and while I wanted to throw that book across the room halfway into it, I just couldn't walk away without finishing it. I had to see if it got any better. For me, it did not.

Thing is, people around me were just whizzing themselves over how brilliant Easton Ellis is. I HATED that book but I was like 'What in god's good name are these people talking about?!?!?" so I got a copy of "Less Than Zero" from my library.

I DOUBLE HATED IT!!! I forced myself to finish that one too and now I feel I've reached my 'Fairness To Bret Easton Ellis' quota. I've read two of his books so screw that guy. He is horrible (according to me).

The only other book that bothered me is "The Gormenghast Trilogy" by Mervyn Peake. My ex introduced me to these books about four years ago and it's become something of an obsession since then.

This has been the most impossible book for me to read ever in my life. The guy can describe a doorknob for six pages. The guy can take a whole chapter to describe a rug. It just HURTS.

I still haven't really 'read' those stories, I usually buckle and crumple into a pile of screams and tears after fifty pages. If any prisoners at Gitmo were given this book at any time, I believe that would qualify as torture.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

"The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck put me to sleep.
    An entire chapter dedicated to dust.
    Great.
    :zzz:
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Dyoni View Post
    GOOD GOD. I've never actually been nauseated by a writer's style until I started reading this book. I could only get about 80 pages in before I just had to stop. Then I actually gave the book to a local charity because I couldn't even bear the thought of that crap being in my apartment.
    LOL!

I think the closest thing to such revulsion I experienced came in the late 80's where some book called Wizard War (was it by Hugh Cook?) was promoted all over Waldenbooks and I stupidly bought a copy.

I know I didn't finish it, it was just total garbage. No sense of story or dramatic arc. The only thing I remember is that there were three main characters and partway through, one breaks his arm or something and dies of infection within about two pages, without any further ado, and the story just keeps going, and going, and going. He published sequels, but I stayed far away from them.

I think my not having many stories of "reading trash" nowadays is that I just have learned to avoid a lot of stuff that will be crappy. A book is an investment, and nowadays I invest more wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by Gloriana
    The only other book that bothered me is "The Gormenghast Trilogy" by Mervyn Peake. My ex introduced me to these books about four years ago and it's become something of an obsession since then.

This has been the most impossible book for me to read ever in my life. The guy can describe a doorknob for six pages. The guy can take a whole chapter to describe a rug. It just HURTS.
    rofl, that one is actually on my reading list to get to at some point.
    I mean, if I can handle Donaldson, I might be able to handle Peake.

We'll see.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I am now creating a DON'T Read List!!

The only book that nauseated me was when I read Lord of the Flies in high school and I was so disturbed at how humanity could deteriorate to its most base level in those school boys!
    — Richard P. Feynman

author unknown