User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yup. My absolute favorites are ones that appeared in the first 10-15 years max into his career:

- Carrie
    - The Shining
    - The Dead Zone
    - Firestarter
    - IT
    - The Stand
    - The Tommyknockers
    - Different Seasons

(Heck, I'll even reread Pet Sematary sometimes.)

The longer he went, the more duds that showed up with increasing frequency.
    I'm a huge Stephen King fan and I agree with your list. His newer stuff is washed up...he should try something new or put the pen down. The Shining and The Stand are his two best works, imo

What first came to mind, as far as disappointing reading goes, was Great Expectations which was the most god-awful boring book I've ever read. Pip was an annoying little %$#@&
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

'The Stand' was all right, but I feel like it could have been much shorter and still had the same effect.

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

In high school, it's got to be The Scarlet Letter. It did not hit it well with me at all. I enjoyed the symbolism of it, but the way the story was written, it seemed so austere and far removed from where I was coming from.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by CuriousFeeling View Post
    In high school, it's got to be The Scarlet Letter. It did not hit it well with me at all. I enjoyed the symbolism of it, but the way the story was written, it seemed so austere and far removed from where I was coming from.

Yes, now that I think of it I didn't enjoy that one either and I actually blocked most of it out. I just remember really wanting to care about the characters but finding them really cold, to the point I was just like "Meh".

Made me remember how much I don't like anything by any of the Bronte sisters either. Again, not knocking anyone who really loves those books, I just personally didn't. I hated Heathcliff and Catherine. Heathcliff reminded me of one of those dudes who got wronged by a woman once, then used it as an excuse to treat every subsequent woman like crap. I was like "Gah, get over it".

That was just me though!
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

Rainy Day Member Ingrid in grids's Avatar

Oh yeah, The Go-Between. Absolute shocker.

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

I'm busy making the most disappointing read ever right now. It's a short story, a project for a scifi- fantasy- and horrorwriting contest you can win 250 euros with. It's title (translation): "Petey Poo and the Cursed Frikandel Sandwich". Says enough.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Although it may have been mentioned already judging by the posts on this page, I was highly disappointed by the last three books in The Dark Tower saga by Stephen King. They just completely fell apart and I found his self-insertion to be completely inexcusable. He made hugely bad narrative and pacing decisions in the last book and I was unable to continue reading after he killed Randall Flagg for the sole purpose of proving how powerful the little Hellspawn was.

lab rat extraordinaire CrystalViolet's Avatar
    MBTI
    XNFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I was terribly disappointed with Wicked, too. Read the whole thing hoping there would be something redeeming in the end, but I don't remember that happening.
    Dude, I just finished it and felt the same way. I couldn't figure out what the big deal was.

American Psycho, I think scarred me for life...one of those books I couldn't stop reading, but it was very traumatic for me. I had nightmares for months after wards. Very graphic and not for sensitive souls. I think I burnt it (and I don't believe in censorship and burning of books) after wards, I felt so dirty and impure after reading it. Really needed a few more warnings on the cover or in the synopsis. And yes I know it was a metaphor, but still...
    Last edited by CrystalViolet; 08-06-2010 at 09:37 AM. Reason: adding more
    Currently submerged under an avalanche of books and paper work. I may come back up for air from time to time.
    Real life awaits and she is a demanding mistress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by FireyPheonix View Post

American Psycho, I think scarred me for life...one of those books I couldn't stop reading, but it was very traumatic for me. I had nightmares for months after wards. Very graphic and not for sensitive souls. I think I burnt it (and I don't believe in censorship and burning of books) after wards, I felt so dirty and impure after reading it. Really needed a few more warnings on the cover or in the synopsis. And yes I know it was a metaphor, but still...
    I totally understand.

When I read Ellis' stuff, I wondered if I was just being a pansy. Y'know, just being resistant to shallow, vapid, selfish characters because I have just been spoon fed the opposite or something. I really did ask myself whether I was just being closed off or judgmental because his characters are not cuddly or pretty.

It wasn't that though. I just got this feeling the guy wasn't writing to truly challenge anyone or truly provoke thought. I found his style really blunt and lazy. I felt the author manipulating me, hence it just took away from any experience of a story.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

From the Undertow CuriousFeeling's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfJ
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    EII

I think All Quiet on the Western Front is another one I could tack on. Great storyline, but the graphic nature of the novel was a bit disturbing for me when I was 15. Made me hate war even more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Johari/Nohari

“Thoughts are the shadows of our feelings -- always darker, emptier and simpler.”
    ― Friedrich Nietzsche