User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I recently picked up the Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson. I picked it up because the premise sounded interesting- nanotechnology and its implications. Plus I heard excellent things about the book. Yet I gave up after the first 10-15 pages, usually I persist with a book much longer than that. I found his writing style confusing and hard to slog through. I thought I had a large vocabulary, but I found like every 5th word to be something I'd never even heard of. I dunno, maybe some of those words were just made-up jargon for the story. It was difficult to tell.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

I personally did not find Wicked too exciting. Everyone talking it up might have been a reason... but I guess all the goodness of the book went right over my head.

My mother would say Animal Farm. I remember telling her I had to read it for school one day, she replied "Do people still think that book is important? Yikes."

Rainy Day Member Ingrid in grids's Avatar

I read all of Chuck Palahniuk's books up until Snuff. After that I decided to give him away. It was Invisible Monsters that I fell in love with and I should have left it at that. After too many you realise he's using virtually the same formula, novel after novel. It's all very repetitive and eventually you numb to the shock factor.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by mattness View Post
    original Dracula sucks & i thought it would be good
    I was just watching Brahm Stoker's Dracula last night with my boyfriend and we decided to read the book we were so impressed with the movie!

Hmm... I'll have to check it out.

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by KLessard View Post
    What about Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile?
    I forgot these were Stephen King's - loved them both!!! In film and book form!
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by paradigm-shift View Post
    I recently picked up the Diamond Age by Neal Stephenson. I picked it up because the premise sounded interesting- nanotechnology and its implications. Plus I heard excellent things about the book. Yet I gave up after the first 10-15 pages, usually I persist with a book much longer than that. I found his writing style confusing and hard to slog through. I thought I had a large vocabulary, but I found like every 5th word to be something I'd never even heard of. I dunno, maybe some of those words were just made-up jargon for the story. It was difficult to tell.
    Oh dear. Try it again... it's an EXCELLENT book. One of my favorites.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Someone else has mentioned Poisonwood Bible and I have to agree - I found it cloyingly depressing.

I also forgot my feelings on Gabriel Garcia Marquez's "Love in the Time of Cholera"! Maybe it is my T or the fact that I had an obsessive ex fiancee but this book didn't strike me as romantic at all. It gave me the sick feeling of this poor woman being stalked for a lifetime - creepy - made my skin crawl!!
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Dyoni View Post
    Oh dear. Try it again... it's an EXCELLENT book. One of my favorites.
    One more added to the list!
    — Richard P. Feynman

author unknown

MBTI
    Mine
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post

I also forgot my feelings on Gabriel Garcia Marquez's "Love in the Time of Cholera"! Maybe it is my T or the fact that I had an obsessive ex fiancee but this book didn't strike me as romantic at all. It gave me the sick feeling of this poor woman being stalked for a lifetime - creepy - made my skin crawl!!

I read the whole thing, but I have no idea why I put up with it for so long, it was an awful book, one of the worst I've read. Perhaps I was hoping it would resolve itself into something less sordid than glorifying this remarkably self-absorbed, unimpressive, slightly sinister man's boring lifelong obsession with a remarkably vacuous and equally self absobed woman. But instead we ended up with our already deeply tiresome elderly "hero" making a disturbing digression into paedophilia with a young girl he was supposed to be the guardian of. It seemed to serve no purpose other than to prove he was still "up to it", and in posession of whatever mystifiying attraction to the opposite sex he had been imbued with. Perhaps we were supposed to be impressed that he still wanted a woman in her seventies, like himself, when he could have the willing and barely pubescent girl he was keeping at home. I, however, was far from impressed.

Worse, the writer appeared to be determinedly making a weak and psychologically unconvincing justification for the paedophilic episode as an equal relationship. I haven't seen this too often from mainstream novelists, and wasn't particularly enthused by seeing it here. Then he remembered the story was supposed to be about the revolting man whose life history he had been following and his obession with a woman his own age, and therefore killed the girl off.

The hero, as though to set the seal on his essential worthlessness, and lack of depth or conscience, in case we still needed convincing of it at this point, shows no real remorse for her death and the part he played in it. Instead he gets it on with the vacuous woman, now conveniently a widow, who we are supposed to be impressed with him having obsessively waited his entire adult life for her to be freed of her husband, so that he could have her; while screwing around with most of the willing female population of Columbia in the meantime, naturally. The only thing I wanted at this stage was for his manhood to prove not up to the task, or maybe suffer a nasty accident, which would have been poetic justice after what I'd had to put up with for 200 and whatever pages up until this point. Naturally it didn't happen, so the book remains unredeemed, and irredeemable... :rolli:
    Look into my avatar. Look deep into my avatar...

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yup. My absolute favorites are ones that appeared in the first 10-15 years max into his career:

- Carrie
    - The Shining
    - The Dead Zone
    - Firestarter
    - IT
    - The Stand
    - The Tommyknockers
    - Different Seasons

(Heck, I'll even reread Pet Sematary sometimes.)

The longer he went, the more duds that showed up with increasing frequency.
    Good list but The Tommyknockers sucked.

There are a few good ones later (Bag of Bones, Lisey's Story, and the Dome one is supposed to be good too but I haven't found the time to read it). All his short story collections are great. Less sucking when he isn't stretching out past 100 pages.

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    The only book that nauseated me was when I read Lord of the Flies in high school and I was so disturbed at how humanity could deteriorate to its most base level in those school boys!
    It is awesome for that very reason.

Stranger In a Strange Land, Robert Heinlein
    So bad I've never attempted to read anything else by him. You have to be under the age of 15 and male to like it. Pure juvenile revenge-masturbatory fantasy. Also with the bonus of bad writing. The Da Vinci Code of the '60s, only worse.