Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    I always liked Lord of the Flies because it was real and honest. People are absolutely frightening... Just like these books:

I still have a whole set of these books packed away in a box somewhere! I also have this set of books:

I am not even sure I read all of them. I was more into all the ghost story books and early "Fear Street" stuff.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by InsatiableCuriosity View Post
    Lots of threads about great books but I also want to hear what wasn't so great. My biggest fiction disappointments over the last 5 years were with David and Leigh Eddings' books of the Elder Gods. I loved Eddings' earlier books but these were just appalling!
    :steam:
    Funny... when I saw the title of the thread, I instantly thought of Eddings' Belgariad. It was disappointing, because it was full of cliches and predictable as any. And the party of heroes was just completely overpowered. Nobody could even touch them... they just wiped the floor with their enemies. It's like having two Gandalfs, who actually did lift their fingers to stop Sauron.
    "The present is theirs; the future, for which I have really worked, is mine."
    -Nikola Tesla

MBTI
    INTP

I freaking loved the Taffy Sinclair books.
    Something Witty

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

I just thought of another book that I hated but I will probably get accosted for sacrilege (as I usually do).

I hated "On The Road" by Kerouac, both times I read it. I love Bukowski, I frickin' can't stand Kerouac.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

Aspiring Troens Ridder KLessard's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Yup. My absolute favorites are ones that appeared in the first 10-15 years max into his career:

- Carrie
    - The Shining
    - The Dead Zone
    - Firestarter
    - IT
    - The Stand
    - The Tommyknockers
    - Different Seasons

(Heck, I'll even reread Pet Sematary sometimes.)

The longer he went, the more duds that showed up with increasing frequency.
    What about Shawshank Redemption and The Green Mile?
    I never read the books, but the movies are some of my favourites.

Quote Originally Posted by mattness View Post
    original Dracula sucks & i thought it would be good
    Indeed, the characters are so magnanimous and shallow that one can hardly decide whether to barf or to laugh. Technically, however, it is well-written.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Apparently they both died within the last few years.

I only ever read Eddings' Belgariad series, when I was a teenager. It seems that his wife was often a writing partner, just uncredited until the 90's.
    That's sad to hear. I simply *loved* their books from about 8th grade on. Read them many, many times over the years. But they always did have the "one story, different names" problem, and it seemed to get worse as time went on. Most of the time I didn't mind, as I enjoyed the light storytelling and sense of humor regardless -- although I was disappointed by "The Hidden City" -- the story was taking a new-for-Eddings turn, and somehow through an almost Deus-Ex-Machina twist jumped back into the same old "Kill the bad God" resolution. Never did read the Elder Gods books though... just didn't grab me in the bookstore (guess I should be glad ).

But my most disappointing read... I can't remember the author or name of the book. I didn't even really have all that high hopes for it, but I was going to do a 90-minute donation at the hospital and needed something to read, so I picked up this "sci-fi mystery" that, from the back of the book, was about a guy on a spaceship full of sleeping crew/passengers trying to fulfill a secret mission. Like I said, I didn't have high hopes, but maybe it'd be fun, right? It was *AWFUL*. The plot was this: The "main character" had been infected with an artificially created STD virus that a) made him sterile, b) made him irresistible to women, and c) gave him a drive to ... mate... with every woman he saw to spread the STD sterility virus and help bring about the extermination of the human race. None of that, of course, was hinted at in the summary on the back of the book.

I was sitting in a chair, in a hospital, with a needle in my arm for 90 minutes or so -- and about 25 pages in I chose to stare at the wall instead of torturing myself by trying to read it. As I recall, I was so embarrassed about possibly being seen with it that I hid the book under a blanket just in case anyone might notice it and ask me about it. When the appointment was over and I could leave, I actually threw it in a trash can on my way out. I *love* books, and would otherwise say that I'd never treat one like that. This one deserved that and worse. Just... ugh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo.

Yeah, I was somehow expecting it to be like the Disney version. How surprised I was when I got to the end. Foolish gromit.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

Sniffles

The Myth of the Eastern Front: The Nazi-Soviet War in American Popular Culture by Ronald Smelser & Edward J. Davies ll

Aspiring Troens Ridder KLessard's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2

I really disliked "Fall on your Knees" by Ann Marie MacDonald.