First 12345 Last

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    YES! I was so disappointed, because I thought the idea of the book was fantastic. I expected it to be funny, snarky, etc. I mean, you're talking about the Wizard of Oz from the Wicked Witch's perspective. It should have been comedy gold. Instead, we got a bad fantasy novel. Though I never really could get on board with the Oz books, either. I guess I was expecting a treatment based upon the world of the movie, instead of the books. Ah, well. Didn't like it.
    Bummer. I bought the compiled edition but have not yet read it. Now I'm scared to open it.

....you didn't like Lovely Bones?

I didn't buy it because of Oprah, but I loved it.
    (loved it more than the movie, actually)
    I liked Lucky too.
    They were both very personal, and internal, flow of consciousness, moving more by feeling than by thinking. That always fascinates me, the logic is different from mine but I could still "hear" it and follow it.

But both, admittedly, are kind of grim.
    Depending upon why you read, it might be too much.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    STFU

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    "The Grapes of Wrath" by John Steinbeck put me to sleep.
    An entire chapter dedicated to dust.
    Great.
    :zzz:
    oh man. steinbeck is pretty boring. i grimaced my way through quite a few really boring books in highschool, like any of jane austin's soupy garbage.

i can't stand reading stephen king. i've tried to read his work, i really have, but i never got far. i guess i don't mesh with his writing style. gotta sit through 6 pages of description just to get to an idea that is only slightly less boring than the last.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    2W3
    Socionics
    EII

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows.
    I was so infuriated with the last book that I fell off of the Potter-Fandom completely.
    Biggest. Cop-Out. Ever! D:
    a little less conversation, a little more action please
    . captain's blog.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Bummer. I bought the compiled edition but have not yet read it. Now I'm scared to open it.
    You seem to like sci-fi/fantasy type stuff more than I do, though...I think it was less that it was a terrible book and more that it wasn't what I was expecting or hoping for. I do know lots of people that liked it.

....you didn't like Lovely Bones?

I didn't buy it because of Oprah, but I loved it.
    (loved it more than the movie, actually)
    I liked Lucky too.
    They were both very personal, and internal, flow of consciousness, moving more by feeling than by thinking. That always fascinates me, the logic is different from mine but I could still "hear" it and follow it.

But both, admittedly, are kind of grim.
    Depending upon why you read, it might be too much.
    Yeah, it just wasn't my cup of tea, I guess. I tend to like to read for escape and entertainment. If the subject matter is bleak or depressing, it better be the best thing I've ever read. I don't really care for depressing movies, either, but at least movies are over in two hours. I have to live with a book a lot longer.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    A Confederacy Of Dunces. Hands down.

I have always heard from people who had what I thought was good taste how great this book is, and the story behind its publication is very compelling. So when I saw it in a used book store I picked it up.

I knew 100 pages into the book that it wasn't for me. But because of the pedigree, I slogged halfway through it before I wised up and gave it away. What a car crash of a book.
    I completely agree with you on this! What a terribly unlikeable protagonist, and general bore of a book.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    House of Sand and Fog, We Were the Mulvaneys, The Lovely Bones, etc. Oprah and I do not have the same taste in books. She likes her stories grim, apparently.
    Yup. Me too. I haven't read We Were the Mulvaneys, but I didn't like The House of Sand and Fog at all, and The Lovely Bones was... okay. I mean, it was pretty good, but didn't live up to all the hype I'd heard about it.

@Dyoni - I've actually read the first two books in the Kusiel series. I thought the first one was really hard to get into, and there are definitely WAYYYY too many characters, but I liked it okay. The second book is much better.

Probably the worst book I've ever read was Daughter of Tintagel by Faye Samson. SO BAD! I'm a huge fan of the King Arthur legends, and for awhile I was reading everything I could get my hands on from that genre. This is one that sounded really great based on the descriptions I'd read of it, but it turned out to be just terrible.

My blog:

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

I always liked Lord of the Flies because it was real and honest. People are absolutely frightening... Just like these books:

I had to read a few of these books because I was part of a 'teen group' at my local library... To be honest, most of the libraries 'young-adult' fiction was absolute nonsense... Not only was I forced to read most of that disgusting fiction, but I also had to write reviews on the books. It was horrible, being forced to write a pleasant review about a book that you wanted to burn. I died inside.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

What is, is. Arthur Schopenhauer's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Aquarelle99 View Post
    I'm a huge fan of the King Arthur legends, and for awhile I was reading everything I could get my hands on from that genre. This is one that sounded really great based on the descriptions I'd read of it, but it turned out to be just terrible.
    Me too! Gerald Morris was one if my favorite writers when I was a kid. I checked his books out nearly every time I went to the library.
    INTJ | 5w4 - Sp/Sx/So | 5-4-(9/1) | RLoEI | Melancholic-Choleric | Johari & Nohari

This will not end well...
    But it will at least be poetic, I suppose...

Hmm... But what if it does end well?
    Then I suppose it will be a different sort of poetry, a preferable sort...
    A sort I could become accustomed to...

MBTI
    ESFP

original Dracula sucks & i thought it would be good

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentMind View Post
    I always liked Lord of the Flies because it was real and honest. People are absolutely frightening... Just like these books:

I had to read a few of these books because I was part of a 'teen group' at my local library... To be honest, most of the libraries 'young-adult' fiction was absolute nonsense... Not only was I forced to read most of that disgusting fiction, but I also had to write reviews on the books. It was horrible, being forced to write a pleasant review about a book that you wanted to burn. I died inside.
    Ha, I totally read the Babysitters Club when I was a tween. But yeah, now I think they're horrifying.

My blog: