User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Wicked.

(Most disappointing first 15 pages.)

The style of writing was just too awful.

*Grumbles about the waste of money and how I should start beginning books before I buy them, regardless of its status as a NYT Bestseller*

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Oh. I actually like Lord of the Flies.
    Not what happens to the boys, but how it reflects on humanity.

At the end, the boys have their warfare ended by adults who act as if they're more mature than the kids... while currently bombing the stuffing out of each other.

Nothing changes, except the price of the toys.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Senior Member InsatiableCuriosity's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Nothing changes, except the price of the toys.
    ..and the size of the boys!

I probably wouldn't react quite so strongly now but I was very much an idealist who grew up in the 60's amongst the "make-love-not-war" generation who saw too many of our young men picked in "the birthday lottery" and not come back.
    "Study hard what interests you the most in the most undisciplined, irreverent and original manner possible."
    — Richard P. Feynman

"Never tell a person a thing is impossible. G*d/the Universe may have been waiting all this time for someone ignorant enough of the impossibility to do just that thing."
    author unknown

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    451 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp Ni

After hearing so much about what a great series they were, I ended buying the Dune books from a library sale and, later on, a bookstore. When I opened the pages, what I found was a hodgepodge of incredibly sluggish pacing, characters whom I actually disliked, pretension everywhere like chickenpox, and some of the worst prose style I've ever encountered.

Hard-boiled Wonderland and the End of the World was another book I found disappointing. I had heard about what a great author Murakami was, and I agree that he has a good imagination, but I also think his imagination lacks discipline. His writing meanders like an idle daydream, and like an idle daydream, it lacks any real purpose.
    [ Ni > Ti > Fe > Fi > Ne > Te > Si > Se ][ 4w5 sp/sx ][ RLOAI ][ IEI-Ni ]

A Confederacy Of Dunces. Hands down.

I have always heard from people who had what I thought was good taste how great this book is, and the story behind its publication is very compelling. So when I saw it in a used book store I picked it up.

I knew 100 pages into the book that it wasn't for me. But because of the pedigree, I slogged halfway through it before I wised up and gave it away. What a car crash of a book.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Wicked.

*Grumbles about the waste of money and how I should start beginning books before I buy them, regardless of its status as a NYT Bestseller*
    I was terribly disappointed with Wicked, too. Read the whole thing hoping there would be something redeeming in the end, but I don't remember that happening.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

When I want a quick and entertaining read (like and 8 hour flight or something)
    Nobody fits the Bill quite like Dean Koontz..

However.. "Your Heart Belongs to me" was quite possibly the most boring fiction I have read since Clive Barker in the 80's.

I am thinking he wrote this while watching a triple header of AA Baseball in Ponca City Oklahoma while drunk on beer and bloated from too many out of date hot dogs..

Pure Tripe.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    meh

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post

I have always heard from people who had what I thought was good taste how great this book is, and the story behind its publication is very compelling. So when I saw it in a used book store I picked it up.

I knew 100 pages into the book that it wasn't for me. But because of the pedigree, I slogged halfway through it before I wised up and gave it away. What a car crash of a book.

That's one of my favorite books. Maybe having grown up in New Orleans helps appreciate the dialect.

'A Theory of Justice' by John Rawls, the most boring person of the 20th century: Nothing, spread over 600 pages.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Wicked.

YES! I was so disappointed, because I thought the idea of the book was fantastic. I expected it to be funny, snarky, etc. I mean, you're talking about the Wizard of Oz from the Wicked Witch's perspective. It should have been comedy gold. Instead, we got a bad fantasy novel. Though I never really could get on board with the Oz books, either. I guess I was expecting a treatment based upon the world of the movie, instead of the books. Ah, well. Didn't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post

Hmm! I haven't tried that one yet, but have heard lots of people recommend it.

Life's too short to keep reading a book based upon recommendations. I'll give a book a chance up until about 1/4 of the way through unless I just HATE it. There've been a couple of books that started slow and ended up making my Favorites List: Of Human Bondage, Rebecca. But after having trudged all the way through A Farewell to Arms against my better judgment, I'll never read a whole book I hate all the way through because it's supposed to be a classic. I still hold a grudge against Hemingway for that.

My sister read the Twilight series, and then the first book over again, trying to figure out what in the heck people were seeing in it. Apparently all her friends had read the books and were super into them. She was like, what am I missing?!?!

I learned not to read anything based upon Oprah's recommendations. House of Sand and Fog, We Were the Mulvaneys, The Lovely Bones, etc. Oprah and I do not have the same taste in books. She likes her stories grim, apparently.
    Something Witty