User Tag List

View Poll Results: do you reread books that you like?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

42 75.00%
  • no

4 7.14%
  • other (which I will explain with a post or whatever will do something evil to me)

10 17.86%
123 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Default re-reading books

I have the habit of rereading books that I like over and over from time to time (not back to back, because that would be a bit tedious, but after a few months or years)... I enjoy a book just as much or more on rereads as I do the first time I read it.

My man finds the idea of rereading a book to be horrifying... he rarely rewatches movies as well. His thoughts are that one should read it well enough the first time that reading it again is unnecissary... he blames my tendancy to have a very short attention span for the fact that I'm just as into the same book again as the first time

What are you guys' thoughts on rereading books? Am I the weirdo or is the man the oddball?
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Phantonym

I love to re-read books. And I usually do it from back to back, after a few years. It's great to notice some details that I have missed or compare my thoughts and feelings that arise during reading with what they were during the previous time I read the book.

MBTI
    ESTJ

I think your husband's comment is pretty funny .

I love to reread books that were really good. And, same as you, it might be because of my short attention span...

Or maybe something else.. It's like walking down a path you've gone once before and you can appreciate it more because you have some idea of what to expect. I feel the same about movies.

The authors I like the most are the ones that have little tidbits of information scattered in the book that seem unimportant but light up if you read them again after finishing the book. It really gets me every time, I love it.

It's also crazy to see how much more of a book I can digest the older I get. I remember when I read Harry Potter the first time, when I was much younger...like single digits. I must have just muddled through it because after reading many of those books again, there was a lot that I missed!

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

yeah, he thinks that it's a waste of time to reread something when there are so many more books out there that he HASN'T read yet

I reread and always notice things that are now... little comments that play a big part later in the book, or little personal quirks of characters that I hadn't picked up on the first time!

of course I am not a careful reader and he is
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INtP

I absolutely reread books. Not all of them, but if I like it (I'm thinking primarily about fiction, but not completely), I'll re-read it after a year, two, ten, etc. Not so much on movies, but as I'm always reading a book of one sort or another on the train, at lunch, before bed, etc. rereading is pretty much a staple. There are some I've read quite a few times (over 5 times, easily).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I put "other" and since I don't want whatever to do something evil to me, I'll explain what I mean. Generally I only read non-fiction books that I can learn something from. So after I've read a book I might look something up again as a reference.

I can't remember the last time I've read something resembling a novel though. I personally prefer entertainment from other types of media.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    What are you guys' thoughts on rereading books? Am I the weirdo or is the man the oddball?
    I keep thinking of you as a sort of Amazon Warrior Queen when you talk like that Whatever, I imagine a poor wretch labelled "man" living in a small bamboo cage obedient to your every whim!

I have in the past read and re-read books, most of the time non-fiction but sometimes fiction too, more rarely with fiction though, although I dont really anymore. At the moment I've got a huge TBR pile and lots of books that I've started and read a bit and left it to one side and have a couple that I'm reading all together.

There are many of my books which arent keepers, any which is kept could be because I want to display or reference it but there is a chance that if any qualifies as a keeper there's a chance it could be reread. I dont think its attention span or skimming or anything which determines if a book will be reread, its enjoyment value, I relisten to music, podcasts, news stories, I rewatch films I like, sometimes really regularly.

If you've got a good novel, with good characterisation of a number of different characters I think you can reread it and be more attuned to one character one time around than another.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I don't re-read a lot unless I am unable to access new reading material for some reason (ie too broke to buy new books), but I don't think it's weird to reread. The first time I read something, I'm kind of in a rush to see what happens. Reading it again allows me to pick up on details and subtler stuff I missed the first time. Also, if I find out I've been reading a series out of sequence, I might go back and read it in sequence so that I can feel like I've got a more cohesive picture of the story. I've got a series going now that I might do that with, especially since I'm waiting for the most recent book to come out in paperback before I buy it.

I didn't grow up in a reading family, so when I was a teenager, I reread my small book collection over and over. I read LOTR three times in middle school, I believe and I've read Chronicles of Narnia an unknown number of times.

I don't read a lot of non-fiction.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Patron Saint Of Smileys Gloriana's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    INFJ

I don't re-read every single book I like, but if a book really transports me somewhere or brings me into an environment I enjoy being in, I will always go back. For me it's a lot like visiting friends, as hippie-ish as that might sound.
    "Nobody in life gets exactly what they thought they were going to get, but if you work really hard, and you're kind, amazing things will happen. I'm telling you...amazing things will happen" --Conan O'Brien

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I would never own a book that I wouldn't re-read many times. The others would be ones I get from the library or skim in a bookstore or borrow from a friend. My ESTJ felt quite sorry for me when he saw me reading my Jane Austen books for the 4th or 5th times and went out and bought me more reading material when he went to the city the next time! I generally tend to like historical fiction, biographies of people from the past that I would like to emulate, and history.