User Tag List

View Poll Results: do you reread books that you like?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

42 75.00%
  • no

4 7.14%
  • other (which I will explain with a post or whatever will do something evil to me)

10 17.86%
First 34567 Last

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I was serious, I usually only buy books when I know I'll enjoy re-reading them (most of my books are from 5 or so authors whose work I almost universally like, or excellent books that I've read elsewhere) and even then I try to avoid it. My money is too vluable to me to waste it on books I'm not pretty sure I'll like. If I only want to read them once or if I'm trying out new authors I do go to the library. And I borrow (and lend, too) books from people whenever I can. Why wouldn't I?

And if I didn't like reading them enough to re-read them, I get rid of them. Why would you waste shelf space? seriously, I don't get it. But it's pretty uncommon that I don't enjoy a book I've bought, I guess I have a good idea of what I like, or I'm not picky.
    I love books, I love book stores.

If I go to a second hand book store I'll go crazy and get books on a whim, spend $20 and walk out with more books than I can carry, they don't have to be expensive if you know the stores to go to. When they're second hand I'll be more carefree and get books by authors I haven't heard of before, or obscure books that I've heard of but can't remember if what I heard was great or just average, for a couple of bucks a pop I'll risk it.

If I go to a new book store I'll be more frugal in my purchases, I'll stick to subjects, genres or authors that I have a reasonable expectation to love.

If I read a book that I love I myself won't read it again however I'll remember it and if a related topic with a friend or stranger comes up and I think they'll love the book to I'll lend or give that to them.

For me I get my moneys worth if I enjoy it the first time around.

And I like having a full bookself.

Naturally if I dislike a book I've bought I will want to get rid of it.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I get you, kinda, I'm just cheap I guess. And fairly lacking in space.

I guess it just never occurred to me that anyone wouldn't reread books. I mean why keep it around otherwise, even if you were buying terrible books all the time. I guess it looks better than an empty bookshelf, lol. Just seems strange to me. Why don't you go to the library instead of used book stores?

I've always been a huge library user so I guess I'm biased but really, it's cheap (usually nearly free) and just as convenient and less wasteful, if that matters.
    -end of thread-

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

Why don't you go to the library instead of used book stores?
    I do that too

Number one problem is I'm bad with getting books back on time, which incurs the wrath of the librarians. Their low-tone whispery wrath intimidates me *fear*

Number two, I don't love the collections available at the libraries I visit. If I buy a new book it's generally something that a library wouldn't stock, I'm not into reading the latest top-selling thriller or book-to-movie release that will end up in the library, I tend to go towards books that are specifically relevant to my interests and often they'll be in the "have to order from our on-line store section as it's not in stock" category.

Number three is I love used book stores. You never know what you'll find, and often the people in those stores will put down their current read and be up for a chat about the books they have and what they recommend. I love that atmosphere.

Number four, most of the time I read books when I'm not at home, either when I'm out at a coffee shop, or when I'm on holidays. Library books aren't the best thing to take away and coffee stains are frowned upon by the whispery librarians..

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

lol, that's why I didn't go to the library for a year or so until this week - didnt want to pay all the fines I'd accumulated. but this time will be better, I swear so maybe not cheaper if you're like me.

Maybe libraries are better here. I actually find that the city-wide selection here is much better than new or used bookstores (though the individual branch's selection may be shabby, you can "order" any book from any branch in the city which is a fairly staggering amount of books, both new and old). Haven't had much luck finding a good used bookstore in my city, maybe that's why I'm biased - they're either hideously expensive (5-6$ for a battered paperback that's 10$ new???) or don't have a great selection, or both. And I get a lot of people trying to talk to me even when I use earbuds to signal solitude. And the disorganization drives me crazy, though sometimes it's fun to browse.

haha if I ever come to australia, I'll have to get you to show me a good used book store, since you're pro, it seems
    -end of thread-

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

haha if I ever come to australia, I'll have to get you to show me a good used book store, since you're pro, it seems
    Library quality has a big impact. When I was at uni the library was delicious, the ones I have access to now are aiirite but not great.

Country second hand book stores run by the RSL (Returned Serviceman's League) are teh tops! in good condition and nothing over $6, average price being $2-4!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    ???
    Socionics
    ????

I reread some books that I liked, but I think I never read one book more than 2 or 3 times so far.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I love re-reading books. I always discover something new, and it's nice to re-live my favorite stories. I must have read The Cather in the Rye 10 times! Also most of the Harry Potter books at least 3 times.
    Masquerading as a normal person day after day is exhausting.

My blog:
    TypeC: Adventures of an Introvert
    Wordpress: http://introvertadventures.wordpress.com/

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Just like a good movie, you can catch things you missed re-reading books. I enjoy it. Usually I re-read books that I haven't picked up in a long while (1 year+) because although I remember the jist of the story, I forget side characters, sub plots, emotions, etc. So a lot of things get re-discovered and I can fall in love with the characters again.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I re-read books all the time. I think some of it has to do with, not just liking the book, but also that you get more out of it the second time around...if that makes any sense...

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx

I usually try to re-read books that I like... but the problem I run into is... I get about six pages in and it's hard to re-read them because I know exactly what is coming, so it's just not as fun to read it because I don't have that same anticipation as I did the first time I read it. If I do re-read a book I usually wait several months and sometimes several years before I pick it up again. And even then I usually remember all the details after I've read several pages... Sigh... Damn you good memory!