User Tag List

Page 1 of 132 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Share your favorite Music

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Share your favorite Music

What music do you enjoy? From folk metal to country to baroque and back again, what songs, symphonies, or artists do you enjoy?

The ultierior motive here is that I received a bunch of iTunes gift cards over the holidays, and I'm looking to spend them. Alas, I find myself at a loss, and I am looking for suggestions. My collection pretty much has most of the genres represented so far (except for rap and hip-hop which I can't really appreciate on account of having almost no rhythm).

If anyone has any good recommendation for some good string-quartets, or other Baroque/Classical music, that would be great.

I'm also looking for some good folk music, alternative, or techno. (I need some good ambient music to listen to while coding).

To start things off, here is a list that I usually post on other profile sites:

John Williams, Hans Zimmer, Mozart, Vivaldi, World-beat, Twelve Girls band, Bach, 311, Green Day, DC Talk, Newsboys, Led Zepellin, Queen, Enya, Loreena McKennitt, Legend of Zelda (I have a collection), and a plethora of other eclectic selections

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I'm a little hazy on genres, but here goes...I'm gonna go for artists, not specific songs....

Folk-esque (?) music: Gordon Lightfoot, Burton Cummings, Joni Mitchell, Great Big Sea

Sometimes classical-sounding prog rock: Genesis (huge range though), Le Orme, Martin Orford (hard to find), ELP, the Strawbs, IQ (probably my favourite band)

Random favourites, mostly rock-ish, mostly well-known, I think: Metallica, Andy McKee (neat pure guitar stuff), Beatles, Billy Joel, CCR, Deep Purple, Eric Clapton, Pink Floyd, RHCP, Santana, Steve Hackett, Sublime, Rush, Yes, Anathema

I led zeppelin, too.

MBTI
    esTP
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

hmmm... you're music tastes are kinna different from mine! I guess I could point out some stuff that you'd never thought of listening to though!

you may enjoy the soundtrack to Everything Is Illuminated- it has quite a few bands that I'm quite fond of on it!

You may like Leningrad (can't type in in the cyrillic alphabet here )
    The Gypsy Kings
    Gogol Bordello
    Seu Jorge
    Manu Chao

And being deeply in love with Irish music I wouldn't be myself if not advocating
    The Pogues
    The Dubliners
    Stiff Little Fingers
    Flogging Molly
    Dropkick Murphys (American Boston Irish)

ummm... yeah... I guess I'll stop there!
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I just used my Christmas iTunes! Here's what I bought:

The new Radiohead SUCK IT FMWARNER
    Manu Chao, La Radiolina (nice, but I like his older stuff better I think)
    Dire Straights self-titled (pre-Money for Nothing, nice bluesy feel)
    Spoon, Ga Ga Ga Ga Ga
    Mastodon, Leviathan
    LCD Sound System, Sound of Silver
    Modest Mouse, We Were Dead Before The Ship Even Sank
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

do you already know of electronica artists you like? What is your definition of ambient?

My INTJ roommate likes Gabriel & Dresden:
    MySpace.com - Gabriel & Dresden - SAN FRANCISCO, US - Electronica / Pop / Progrsv House - www.myspace.com/gabrielanddresden
    He also likes deadmau5 (listen to Faxing Berlin):
    MySpace.com - deadmau5 - Toronto, CA - Other / Electronica - www.myspace.com/deadmau5

Hernan Cattaneo seems sort of ambient:
    MySpace.com - Hernan Cattaneo - Buenos Aires - House - www.myspace.com/hernancattaneo

For the above two DJ's, I'd recommend downloading their sets (probably not available on iTunes) rather then their individual tracks.

I would consider the older Aphex Twin or Authechre (Amber) albums ambient.

I like the modern classical composer Ernest Bloch (and others but can't remember offhand).

The Unwieldy Clawed One Array Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

I am too lazy to list my favorite music, but this should show you what I have been listening to - most in the last year or so - on my PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

The ultimate in bizarre: a cross between an ostrich, a gorilla, and Edward Scissorhands.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

I'm a punk-rock/new wave/rockabilly kind of girl which means I like a little of everything really. ha ha!

new:Gary Allan, Dwight Yoakim, Reba McEntire, Type O Negative, the Living End (for those who like Green Day), Spiderbait, the Infrareds, Prodigy, the Freestylers, the Gipsy Kings

relatively old school: u2, the Clash, Echo and the Bunnymen, the Jesus and Mary Chain, the Spoons, David Bowie, the Pistols, Brian Setzer, Fleetwood Mac, ZZTop, the Pretenders, Duran Duran, Billy Idol, Joan Jett, Lita Ford, Run DMC, the Misfits, ELO, Olivia Newton-John, the Psychedelic Furs, Siouxsie and the Banshees, the Cure, Depeche Mode, Aaron Copland, Lynyrd Skynryd

way old school: Bill Haley, Elvis Presley, Ricky Nelson, Etta James, my man Eddie Cochran , Gene Vincent, Waylon Jennings, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash

super-duper way old school: Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong, big band, western swing, Tin Pan Alley stuff like the Gershwins and Johnny Mercer

hangin' with the dinosaurs old : Dvorak, Debussey, Vivaldi, Saint-Saens, Bach (not so much Beethoven as I find his stuff "note-y" or Mozart, who's just a bit of a musical spazz)
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious
    Likes Punderstorm liked this post

Senior Member Array girlnamedbless's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFJ

I listen to way too many bands to list, but my current favorite band is Sixx:A.M. Listen to "Van Nuys" or "Life is Beautiful." I think they have some great lyrics and a cool sound.
    I'm mostly a hard rock/alternative junkie though, so check out my last.fm profile for that.
    I bet they'll put something in the air tonight, just to light your face.

I like music from all sorts of different genres, (goth rock, darkwave, deathrock, EBM, future pop, dream pop, shoegaze, ethereal, industrial, electro, alternative, agrotech, powernoise, even some visual kei, metal and rock - though only a little)
    I have far too many "favourite" bands to list, but the one band that is, and always will be, on my favorites is the Cruxshadows.
    Introverted: 100%
    INtuition: 95%
    Feeling: 58%
    Perceiving: 89%

5w4 sp/sx

INFP.gc

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by PinkPiranha View Post
    I'm a punk-rock/new wave/rockabilly kind of girl which means I like a little of everything really. ha ha!

new:Gary Allan, Dwight Yoakim, Reba McEntire, Type O Negative, the Living End (for those who like Green Day), Spiderbait, the Infrareds, Prodigy, the Freestylers, the Gipsy Kings

relatively old school: u2, the Clash, Echo and the Bunnymen, the Jesus and Mary Chain, the Spoons, David Bowie, the Pistols, Brian Setzer, Fleetwood Mac, ZZTop, the Pretenders, Duran Duran, Billy Idol, Joan Jett, Lita Ford, Run DMC, the Misfits, ELO, Olivia Newton-John, the Psychedelic Furs, Siouxsie and the Banshees, the Cure, Depeche Mode, Aaron Copland, Lynyrd Skynryd

way old school: Bill Haley, Elvis Presley, Ricky Nelson, Etta James, my man Eddie Cochran , Gene Vincent, Waylon Jennings, Roy Orbison, Johnny Cash

super-duper way old school: Benny Goodman, Artie Shaw, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday, Louis Armstrong, big band, western swing, Tin Pan Alley stuff like the Gershwins and Johnny Mercer

hangin' with the dinosaurs old : Dvorak, Debussey, Vivaldi, Saint-Saens, Bach (not so much Beethoven as I find his stuff "note-y" or Mozart, who's just a bit of a musical spazz)
    Very good taste (from "relatively old school" and down, as I do not know of the bands up top much).