User Tag List

Thread: Born Free

Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so

Default Born Free

Crazy violent video by M.I.A to "Born Free" off her newly released album, "Maya". I'm not exactly sure of the message that's trying to be relayed here...

Lyrics

*May not be suitable for all viewers* :P

M.I.A. Born Free

Thoughts?
    You can't always do it right, you can always do what's left.

Thoughts rearrange. Familiar now strange. All my skin is drifting on the wind.~

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

eh.. I don't think it makes it's point very well. It pulls punches with the "rounding up gingers" thing but at the same time makes everything comical with the cinematography and violence. I think it's a real shame since it could have been a very harrowing video but instead it decided to make everything safe. It loses a lot of its punch that way.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

The Duchess of Oddity Queen Kat's Avatar
    MBTI
    E.T.
    Enneagram
    7w8

Dunno, but I like the song. I think there has been made another thread about this already, a few months ago.
    I was sitting outside the classroom waiting to go in, and I saw an airplane hit the tower. The TV was obviously on. I used to fly myself and I said, "There's one terrible pilot."
    - George W. Bush -

SCUAI - 7w8 sx/sp - Chaotic Evil - Fucking Cute - ALIVE

Blog. Read it, bitches.
    Questions? Click here
    If you don't agree about my MBTI type, you can complain about it here. I've had plenty of people telling me I'm something else, in my reputation box. That's annoying.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Saint Kat View Post
    Dunno, but I like the song. I think there has been made another thread about this already, a few months ago.
    Yep: M.I.A.'s Banned Video

Quote Originally Posted by RiderOnTheStorm View Post
    Crazy violent video by M.I.A to "Born Free" off her newly released album, "Maya". I'm not exactly sure of the message that's trying to be relayed here...
    M.I.A. is an ethnic Tamil from Sri Lanka, where there was a long-standing conflict between the Sinhalese majority and the Tamil minority. There were bad guys on both sides. The government stopped at nothing in trying to quell the conflict, and the LTTE (Tamil Tigers) were terrorists. Last year, the Sinhalese finally won the civil war, and thousands of Tamil civilians were placed in military camps. The UN is attempting to investigate war crimes, but the Sri Lankan government is doing everything in its power to block them.

Basically, M.I.A. is a member of a group which has recently been a victim of genocide, and (my read is that) she's trying to get people to think about issues of racism and violence.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    eh.. I don't think it makes it's point very well. It pulls punches with the "rounding up gingers" thing but at the same time makes everything comical with the cinematography and violence. I think it's a real shame since it could have been a very harrowing video but instead it decided to make everything safe. It loses a lot of its punch that way.
    I'm not sure what you mean here. Could you explain?
    i just want to be a sweetheart

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Quote Originally Posted by burymecloser View Post
    I'm not sure what you mean here. Could you explain?
    Sure.

So, she's trying to raise awareness about genocide and discrimination and what not and instead of showing an actual ethnic minority being persecuted she (or the director I guess, since she probably didn't direct it.) instead uses gingers as a stand in. This was probably done for a number of reasons, the biggest being so that it would be "controversial" while still being safe. The idea of gingers being persecuted is far enough removed from any actual reality that it can be portrayed as fictional but the violence is so over the top and shown in a way to be almost reverent to it (slow motion gunshots, running through the mine field, gratuitous explosion at the end, etc.) It becomes a piece that will "preach to the choir" well but won't actually change people's minds or make them aware of the actual cultural genocides going on. But if the director had gone all the way in and tried to portray it then you wouldn't even see the video as funding would have been pulled or something similiar since it wouldn't be marketable anymore and would just make people feel disgusted, which is actually the better response if you're actually wanting people to act upon such injustices.

Does that help explain it?
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    Sure.

So, she's trying to raise awareness about genocide and discrimination and what not and instead of showing an actual ethnic minority being persecuted she (or the director I guess, since she probably didn't direct it.) instead uses gingers as a stand in. This was probably done for a number of reasons, the biggest being so that it would be "controversial" while still being safe. The idea of gingers being persecuted is far enough removed from any actual reality that it can be portrayed as fictional but the violence is so over the top and shown in a way to be almost reverent to it (slow motion gunshots, running through the mine field, gratuitous explosion at the end, etc.) It becomes a piece that will "preach to the choir" well but won't actually change people's minds or make them aware of the actual cultural genocides going on. But if the director had gone all the way in and tried to portray it then you wouldn't even see the video as funding would have been pulled or something similiar since it wouldn't be marketable anymore and would just make people feel disgusted, which is actually the better response if you're actually wanting people to act upon such injustices.

Does that help explain it?
    Yes, thanks. I tend to agree. I suspect the ginger thing was meant to elicit the opposite reaction, but mine was the same as yours (assuming I'm interpreting you correctly now) -- I would have found the video much more disturbing if the victims were members of a widely oppressed ethnic minority.
    i just want to be a sweetheart