User Tag List

12311 Last

Thread: Inception

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Default Inception

I saw the midnight premiere last night, and what a fucking phenomenal movie. Rotten tomatoes only gives it a 73% by top critics, but that just goes to show how well sticks fit up the asses of the artistically "elite."

The ending was absolutely fantastic; I can't think of a better way to have wrapped it up. You must go see this movie.

Cobb (Dicaprio): ESTP
    Arthur (Lovett): ISTJ
    Ariadne (Page): INTP
    Eames: ENTP
    Saito: INTJ
    Robert Fischer Jr: ISFP
    Mal: INFP
    Yusuf: INTP

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Okay, now I gotta see it.

I wasn't sure about diCaprio, he's been hit-or-miss... but Christopher Nolan is a fave of mine. I typically like any movie he does (even the somewhat conventional Insomnia remake)... and The Prestige is one of my top ten faves.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

i was gonna check it out in a couple of hours. 73% on RT isn't too bad though.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Yeah 73% by top critics isn't too bad, but I think it deserves better. Most of the critics' complaints are that it's too "intellectually convoluted" and not "emotionally engaging." It's like the critics are pissed that somebody tried to make a mind-boggling, philosophical thriller, rather than just one filled with action-packed shooting scenes. Nolan does something novel, adding a twist to teh generic action film, and I think those who are criticizing are just too stuck in the frame of mind of what a thriller "ought to be" based on past films that define this genre. God-forbid it make you actually *think*...

MBTI
    ISTP

I saw this last night and I must say... wow.

I'm a little hesitant to call it mainstream entertainment because I don't think just anybody could follow the plot and if you miss the depth of it then it would not seem quite as good. I agree with teslashock that it deserves a better score on RT... the negative reviews say things like

"Inception is a nightmare for audiences looking for coherent fiction" and "It's hard to connect with a movie when it tries so hard to fool you; is this a dream, is it not, is it a dream within a dream? Who cares? Just commit to something and get on with it. A crushing bore."

...who it seems are either not quick enough themselves to follow the plot or don't appreciate the changing character dynamics, which doesn't make any sense to me because that's a big part of what makes this movie so great!

If you can wrap your head around what's going on and why and keep up with the character shifts, you'll find a mindblowing masterpiece and what I think is easily the best movie of 2010.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    I saw the midnight premiere last night, and what a fucking phenomenal movie. Rotten tomatoes only gives it a 73% by top critics, but that just goes to show how well sticks fit up the asses of the artistically "elite."

The ending was absolutely fantastic; I can't think of a better way to have wrapped it up. You must go see this movie.

It was quite good. I loved it... left me a little disoriented for a while after because I got a little too into it.

As for the types, I'd say you're spot on for most. I had trouble typing Cobb, but ESTP sounds like a good fit now that you mention it.
    Eames was definitely an ENTP... he was hilarious. His interaction with Arthur was amusing... but I would actually guess Arthur was an ISTP.
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    IEE

Oh, man---I don't think I belong to the artistically "elite", but I have to agree with the critics on this one. I would give it about a 75% approval rating.

Not a BAD movie by any means, but not great.

Yeah, these sound pretty good.

I'M OUTTA HERE.

IT'S BEEN FUN.

TAKE CARE.

PEACE OUT!!!

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I haven't seen it, but I want to.

The film looks intrigueing in its own right, and then there's the fact that Christopher Nolan has heretofore been incapable of doing wrong.

I'm sure my dad will get on pirating it as soon as possible.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Ginkgo

Agreed on your typings, though towards the end I started to wonder if Ariadne was an INFJ, just based on her insights into Cobb's character. Whatever, she's still a quintessential Architect, and Arthur was the quintessential ISTJ.

Throughout this movie, I couldn't stop thinking about Jungian Archetypes and dream analysis. "The waters of the subconscious", landing you upon a shore "where you could create your own world and become a god" sounds like some of Jung's writing.

Sorry, don't mean to spoil anything.

I really don't think the makers were trying to confuse you, I think they were trying to create meaning in complexity. For such an intricate plot, I was impressed not to see any inconsistencies other than one that baffled me at the end.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    9w8 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ISTp

^ Arthur a quintessential ISTJ? I dunno... that elevator scene was SP improvising at it's finest
    I have an inner monologue that sounds strikingly similar to something off Animal Planet.