• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Inception

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Too bad we're all done discussing it! :smoke:

Yes, yes, that's fine.

I tend to be late to these things anyway. Kinda like how I got on the cell phone bandwagon in the ripe year of 2009. ;)

human101

MBTI Type
NiTe
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sx
I just saw it. I thought it was awful. Another brilliant idea ruined by all the Hollywood bollocks.
And who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to cast Juno as an architect? That was just the worst bit of casting ever. DiCaprio was pretty uneven too. FX were impressive, but the script was dire and it was horribly clunky when it dealt with psychological themes. I felt like I was watching someone play a shoot-em-up RPG. Boring and never really engaging.
Pity.

I went with friends who are film buffs and they insist its a classic the dialogue was terrible

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
aint read the whole thread but am I the only one who didn't enjoy it I walked out towards the end, the concept is nice but I thought that they could have done more with it in my humble opinion agree or disagree people ?

lol. At least Morgan explained some things she didn't like about it.
If you want responses, why not invest a little?

I went with friends who are film buffs and they insist its a classic the dialogue was terrible

Again, why was it terrible?
I gotta say, these posts suck far worse than Inception did, even if it did actually suck.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
And who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to cast Juno as an architect? That was just the worst bit of casting ever. DiCaprio was pretty uneven too. FX were impressive, but the script was dire and it was horribly clunky when it dealt with psychological themes. I felt like I was watching someone play a shoot-em-up RPG. Boring and never really engaging.
Pity.

I have some of the same criticisms about it (except the script), but it hardly ruined the movie for me.

I did enjoy dissecting the film on the forums more than I did watching it though... It's a puzzle box that keeps on giving up secrets and new interpretations. Too bad I never cared about the characters that much.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have some of the same criticisms about it (except the script), but it hardly ruined the movie for me.
Dialogue, more than plot. Plot was silly, but intricate enough to be interesting.
But the exposition was awkward. Too much was explained. Kinda the opposite of Lost. ;) And the technical implementation of extraction/inception was just ridiculous - some kinda arm band thingy transports you to a shared consciousness?? C'mon. Which adds weight to the theory that the whole thing was just a dream. But, that cop out is so old now. I expected more from Mr Nolan. The Matrix, or ETOSPM did it so much better.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dialogue, more than plot. Plot was silly, but intricate enough to be interesting.
But the exposition was awkward. Too much was explained. Kinda the opposite of Lost. ;) And the technical implementation of extraction/inception was just ridiculous - some kinda arm band thingy transports you to a shared consciousness?? C'mon. Which adds weight to the theory that the whole thing was just a dream. But, that cop out is so old now. I expected more from Mr Nolan. The Matrix, or ETOSPM did it so much better.

Yeah, I've been asking these questions over at INTPc. I'm sure now, though, that nothing was accidental or sloppy, they were done for a reason. Things were overexplained to keep the audience following the trail of breadcrumbs, and things were not explained at all (the dream machines) to avoid distracting the audience from where Nolan wanted to take them.

Salomé

meh
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I've been asking these questions over at INTPc. I'm sure now, though, that nothing was accidental or sloppy, they were done for a reason. Things were overexplained to keep the audience following the trail of breadcrumbs, and things were not explained at all (the dream machines) to avoid distracting the audience from where Nolan wanted to take them.
I think it was sloppy though. There were MacGuffins all over the place.
He failed to create and release tension with the whole inception plotline. That just sort of played out as expected - there was no moment of revelation. Or was that symbolic of Cobb's reconciliation with his father? What was the windmill about? Those mawkish moments were irksome to me.
And the security training? WTF? This billionaire moghul has training to defend himself from dream-stealers but gets on a 747 with no security staff? The more you analyze it, the more it makes no sense (the ever spinning top aside), but then... I really just don't care.

Danikov

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Two
There's enough easter eggs, hints and sly nods to make me think that most of what you might pick up on is intentional, especially the ambiguities. The point of the movie was to embody both the dream and concept of inception (just as Mememto embodied the fractured experience of anterograde amnesia). While we are certain that the film was fictional, much as we're certain of dreams being dreams when we wake from them, the details are debatable and subject to interpretation. Sometimes things aren't inconsistent- a trait films also share with dreams.

The other thing I appreciate about Inception that people seem to miss is it's about lucid dreaming, not your regular dreams. This is why we see much less surreality and a much more directed dream, with projections and conflict. However, the fantastic thing about Inception is it acts as a key to actual lucid dreaming- one of the most common techniques is to frequently question reality (check how many fingers you and others have, see if text changes if you look back at it). When dreaming, this questioning can snap you a more lucid state and the film very subtly performs an act of inception upon the viewer that may lead to lucid dreams.

Unkindloving

Lungs & Lips Locked
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I just got back a little bit ago from seeing this with my INFP and ISTP. Happy to report that I had no trouble understanding what was going on, but I don't tend to have much trouble in that department :D.
I really enjoyed it. The casting was pretty superb. I'd agree in not understanding why Ellen Page was cast, but I could see her appeal to the role. Being next to such intense and developed talent made her seem like even more of a youngling though.
Arthur (Levitt) was my favorite character. I wasn't contemplating mbti at the time, but it figures I was drawn to the ISTJ. Attractive bastards, curse you! :dont:.

Spoilerish Funtimes!

It was a perk to have them nip the predictable plot line in the bud toward the end.
For a while, I was halfway under the impression that Cobb (DiCaprio) would've been in a dream state throughout the entire movie. The other half was feeling that to be far too predictable, even if they fed it for a while. I was happy with how it panned out. It was slightly less convoluted, but it was also less predictable. Even in the little fact of Cobb not staying for his wife.

There were no problems with the dreams not being dreamlike, imo. The purpose of them was to appear to be reality and, also, to not draw additional attention from the projections.
The only area that could have been more dreamlike was Limbo, but they weren't children with crayons. They were an adult couple, who likely wanted some semblance of the reality they had known. Of course, a lot of people (and damned well myself, at any age) would have gone wild with imagination in that scenario.
They still showed what they were able to do with the dreams by creating entire cities, with intricate details. Then they would toy with those details to make you aware of there being few limitations. It wasn't in your face in that way, which I found oddly refreshing.

I'm all about the extreme bouts of fantasy, but I can just go to Burton films for that if i so desire it :laugh:

tikru

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
I just saw this last night. It was okay. It kind of just seemed like a pseudo-intellectual thriller (like all of Nolan's movies :D).

off-topic: anyone remember the scene in Batman Begins where one of the characters says something about a 'Jungian shadow figure'? I've never rolled my eyes so hard lol... Seemed like Nolan completely misunderstood the term and just used it to make the movie seem intelligent. I feel like all of his films are more style than substance...

targobelle

~*taaa raaa raaa boom*~
MBTI Type
enfp
better late than never.....

I really enjoyed this movie the end gave me goosebumps :) My thoughts on the ending are mixed, we never see the top drop, it sounds like it's gonna but it doesn't

so what if Mal was right? what if she was the reality, and she was the one going back to get Cobb? It could be that we were in Cobb's dream the whole time, and that Mal jumped to return to her kids. Did you notice the kids were in the same place as they were when he thought of them, dreamed of them. Did you notice the voice calling the kids before he saw them? Did you notice that he had been gone a long time yet the kids didn't age? Another thing that struck me was when Cobb was telling of the night he lost his wife, after they girl had seen the room, when she walked in she stepped exactly where Cobb had stepped when he retells it.

JustHer

Pumpernickel
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Inception was just "k". I finally watched it last night after all the hype and I guess the hype could be why I was somewhat disapointed.

I find it interesting, however, that the people who liked inception accuse the people who didn't like it of being slow or not catching on to its complexity.... meanwhile the people who didnt like inception accuse the people who did like it of being of being too easily fascinated by pretty simple concepts.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Cobb was ISTP, Mal was INTJ with out of control Fi.

Fischer Jr. seemed INFP.

everything else looks good.

Inception was just "k". I finally watched it last night after all the hype and I guess the hype could be why I was somewhat disapointed.

I find it interesting, however, that the people who liked inception accuse the people who didn't like it of being slow or not catching on to its complexity.... meanwhile the people who didnt like inception accuse the people who did like it of being of being too easily fascinated by pretty simple concepts.

I liked it and my criticism of those who didn't is more your failure to appreciate the value in relative simplicity. It wasn't a very complex idea; it was just well-executed.

Simplicity is the heart of brilliance.

Randomnity

insert random title here
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I don't see this happening, here or elsewhere. :huh:

I have seen negative reviews saying "it's too complicated. waaa!". I really liked it and didn't think it was complex because it was really just one idea! and heavily explained at that. I can see how some people might be bored by that if they didn't like the idea but it was a cool enough idea for me, to carry the plot. I don't have an explanation, personal or otherwise, for why others liked/didn't like it because I don't really care - pretty much no movies are unviersally liked.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't see this happening, here or elsewhere. :huh:

Yeah, I didn't see this either, even after looking through all the top 5-6 pages of Google hits about the movie a month ago.

Mostly the complaints I saw about the movie involved, "It was too cold; not enough human drama / the characters weren't fleshed out enough" or "There were plot holes that ruined the movie for me."

KDude

^I only finally got around to watching it, but I'd say Cobb was 5w6, Mal was a 1w9.. :thinking: Maybe a 4, if you think her hangups were strictly romantic.

I don't know if the movie was intended to be a loose metaphor, but it's kind of screwing with me. Getting a bad idea out of your head is a hell of a thing.

Scorquendo

MBTI Type
INTP
Cobb was ISTP, Mal was INTJ with out of control Fi. Fischer Jr. seemed INFP

Just curious how you were able to get these^

I think Cobb was an ENTP. He seemed very good at reading others (Ariadne) and given his line of work, he would need to be able to catch onto things fairly quickly and adapt to his situation. Especially given his nature to look for the "possibilities" in going deeper into the dream levels. Not to mention the Mr. Charles gambit cries ENTP to me...

As for my list:

Mal - INFP/ISFP - it is hard to tell since we rarely saw her without Cobb's interpretation of her; my guess would be INFP since she would be a better fit
Arthur - ISTJ - Textbook!
Ariadne - INFJ
Eames - ENTP
Yusef - INTJ
Fischer - ISFJ - he rarely said anything profound and seemed to be just going through the motions
Saito - INTJ

Coke

Permabanned
just saw this movie on my computer and loved it, heh, shoulda watched it in the theaters so i can discuss it with you peeps~

i'm dumb when it comes to typing characters, but everyone seems to agree that Eames is an ENTP. can anybody please explain how Eames is an ENTP? thanks