Thread: Inception

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    Hm, I don't know if that's a good summation of the types and how they feel about the movie. I saw it with about 6 other NPs and we all "REALLY LOVED IT."
    Yeah, I don't agree with Bab's assessment either. I also don't know if NJ vs NP is the best way to break it up. I think Te-strong people are more apt to bitch about the details that don't match, while the NFJs might or might not like it depending on how they felt the psychological/relational aspects were presented, and so for.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    STFU

i just came back from watching it and i loved all of it. the cast was top notch and the ideas presented were stimulating and inspiring. i would pay to go on that ride again.

and the zero-g hallway fight was really sweet.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

Supreme Allied Commander Take Five's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I doubt type has any substantial relevance to reviews. I went with another SJ and an SP and the reviews were good all around. In fact the two SJs give it better ratings than the SP. When it comes to liking movies, the genres and actors and directors come into play more than type. I really liked it. My interpretation of the ending is the boring version.
    Johari Nohari

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. "--Niccolo Machiavelli

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by r.a View Post
    and the zero-g hallway fight was really sweet.
    as far as eye candy goes... yeah, that was really cool.

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Heh, maybe I should post all my INTPc questions here...

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

NoooOoOooOooO! He's infecting this forum now!

Sure, go for it.

(copy my posts too while you're at it, okay?)

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    NoooOoOooOooO! He's infecting this forum now!

Sure, go for it.

(copy my posts too while you're at it, okay?)
    Too much work! I'll just stick to my unanswered/interesting questions.

SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY

Okay, I fully admit that some of the following might've been explained away in all the dialogue I missed. Or perhaps Christopher Nolan doesn't care to explain it, to do so would just drag the story to a halt.

1) Did anyone else have any trouble hearing the dialogue? Esp. the Japanese guy, Saito.

4) Was the first dream within a dream a test by Saito? I thought they were hired by rivals of Saito, but then I read later when I got home it was all a test set up by him. If so, who was chasing Cobb when he went to meet with the Forger, Eames?

5) Am I right that any of the team can alter the dream? Cobb did this subconsciously, but I don't know if this was a rare problem, or if anyone could do it. I assume that the car and guns aren't put there by the architect, hence the line (I heard it!) about dreaming "a bigger gun". Basically, why'd they have a dream machine on the third level? They weren't expecting to go any deeper.

6) Speaking of the dream machine, why do they need it in the dreams other than to fool Fischer? It's all imaginary at that point, why not just take the red pill? Or maybe it was the blue pill...

7) If they can alter the dream, why don't they do it more often? I'd think a bullet-proof Iron Man suit would come in handy. Why couldn't anyone do what the Forger did? Did that require talent, training?

8) Speaking of conjuring things, was anyone else disappointed by Limbo/Cobb's id? Architecture is great and all, but wouldn't a subconscious have Godzilla stomping thru or something? He was able to dream up his kids and wife. Hardly any sign of life otherwise. I was expecting something more trippy like Eternal Sunshine.

11) I saw OMW came to the same conclusion I did - does it really matter whether Cobb's life is but a dream or not? Does it matter to you?

12) Of course a lot of the above doesn't matter if it's all a dream. I didn't ask myself most of these questions until after, much like you don't question dream logic until you wake up. Was that all on purpose by Nolan?

This brings up another question(s) about Limbo: how does one escape? Must it be willing? Why didn't Cobb just kill his wife and himself and wake up? Why bother with inception in the first place? How did Eames know when to use the defib on Fischer? Why didn't Fischer go to his own little Limbo area instead of Cobb's? Saito did.

What is your theory on the totem?
    ...if people take their totems into dreams with them as part of their personal identity, one would never be able to use it as an anchor to reality - it would always be there and an architect wouldn't have to worry about it at all. You have to assume there are four posibilities:

1) it is exactly as you know it in reality - and therefore you are in reality;
    2) it is missing - you are in someone else's dream and they didn't know about it;
    3) it is there but does not match the "real" object - you are in someone else's dream and they messed up your object;
    4) it is there but does not match the "real" object but behaves as you expect in a dream - which leads me to my next point.

The endlessly spinning top is a different kind of totem than whathername's falling chess piece. She just pulls it out and sees if it doesn't fall over. Then she knows she's been pulled into a dream. Her dream totem behaves like the real life one - if she's the one that created it and not an architect. If it falls over then she knows she's in reality or on a job (hopefully she'll remember she's in a dream on the job then or she would confuse the dream for reality), or an architect has gotten ahold of her totem in real life and duplicated it (then she's in trouble).

Cobb's endlessly spinning top is different. He isn't trying to replicate how the object behaves in reality. He alters it to spin endlessly. If he can't do it, then he knows he's not in a dream. He's not trying to check whether he's in someone else's dream - he wants to know if he's dreaming or not because he's losing his grip on reality.

The loaded die seems to be the best totem - he knows the secret so he can figure out if someone's replicated it, plus he can alter it in dreams to know whether he's dreaming or in reality. Cobb's doesn't have a hidden feature in real life. In a way, Cobb doesn't care if someone replicates it, all he is really concerned about is figuring out if he's dreaming or not.

And if his subconscious can make the top stop when he's consciously trying to make it spin forever...

ReflecTcelfeR

1.) I agree, Saito and the forger I can't think of his name were the hardest to understand.
    5.) I think anyone can alter a dream, but if the dream is altered too much then the subconscious begins to realize that someone is within their dream thus why they attack you. I think the reason why Fischer's 'men' attacked so quickly was because Cobb brought his own sub-conscious within the dream.
    7.) 5 answered that I think. The more you alter the dream the more the subconscious realizes something is wrong and tries to 'kill' you.

I was personally disappointed that they only brought up Cobb's totem. I thought it would've been cool if they had tried to use the others, but I understand that his was the most useful for the movies sake. The audience got a chance to relax and realize what was and wasn't a dream.

I'm not really sure about the other ones. I think Ellen Pages character could still be an INTP. She could read Cobb like a book, but she wasn't really concerned about his welfare, it was a concern for the job that they were working on, which is more of an NT thing.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

SPOILERS

Quote Originally Posted by ReflecttcelfeR View Post
    5.) I think anyone can alter a dream, but if the dream is altered too much then the subconscious begins to realize that someone is within their dream thus why they attack you. I think the reason why Fischer's 'men' attacked so quickly was because Cobb brought his own sub-conscious within the dream.
    7.) 5 answered that I think. The more you alter the dream the more the subconscious realizes something is wrong and tries to 'kill' you.
    That brings something else up, once Fischer leaves one level (and the only one left is the dreamer on that level - none of the dreams were actually his), why are his men still trying to kill them? Wouldn't they be gone?

ReflecTcelfeR

Very true. Poor answer, but perhaps it's residue from the sub-conscious that occupied it. Kind of like with limbo?

Maybe the fact that his presence (body) is still in the dream his subconscious still exists within it as well.