• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Scariest Movie of ALL TIME!

E

Epiphany

Is still The Exorcist. Even the opening scene creeps me out.

the-exorcist-rare-footage.jpg

But I couldn't resist...

paranormal-activity.png

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
The book, and its sequel Legion, are also excellent.

However, I personally find serial killer/crazy man movies much more frightening...maybe it's because I'm female, and it's a more realistic fear than getting possessed by the devil.

Still, from a purely cinematic and psychological standpoint, The Exorcist makes Paranormal Activity look like a pile of steaming dog shit.

Sparrow

Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I HATE scary movies! I watched The 4th Kind the other night, and couldnt sleep at all. Kept thinking aliens were going to abduct me lol :).

E

Epiphany

The book, and its sequel Legion, are also excellent.

However, I personally find serial killer/crazy man movies much more frightening...maybe it's because I'm female, and it's a more realistic fear than getting possessed by the devil.

Still, from a purely cinematic and psychological standpoint, The Exorcist makes Paranormal Activity look like a pile of steaming dog shit.

I never saw the sequel. Serial killer movies are suspenseful and intriguing, but not scary to me. What is your favorite? I would have to rank Se7en up there.

I really enjoyed Paranormal Activity, but my virgin experience with it was tainted by a loud, obnoxious crowd who kept laughing to hide their fear.

I HATE scary movies! I watched The 4th Kind the other night, and couldnt sleep at all. Kept thinking aliens were going to abduct me lol :).

Interesting. Unless you are a hillbilly, I wouldn't worry about getting abducted.

I'd approve of this message is Paranormal Activity wasn't such a laughably bad movie.

Blasphemy!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I never saw the sequel. Serial killer movies are suspenseful and intriguing, but not scary to me. What is your favorite? I would have to rank Se7en up there.

I really enjoyed Paranormal Activity, but my virgin experience with it was tainted by a loud, obnoxious crowd who kept laughing to hide their fear.

No, I mean for you to read the sequel. There is no sequel to the Exorcist film that comes close to it.

I think that the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Black Christmas are both pretty creepy to watch, as a girl alone in her apartment. Even Zodiac gave me the willies after it got dark that night despite its more dramatic tone, it is of course based upon a true story, which made me think about the reality of it and agggh...

E

Epiphany

No, I mean for you to read the sequel. There is no sequel to the Exorcist film that comes close to it.

I think that the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Black Christmas are both pretty creepy to watch, as a girl alone in her apartment. Even Zodiac gave me the willies after it got dark that night despite its more dramatic tone, it is of course based upon a true story, which made me think about the reality of it and agggh...

Even though Texas Chainsaw Massacre and Psycho were partly based on Ed Gein, I don't recall a decent accurate portrayal of his life. That would make a great psychological thriller.

(I laughed hysterically the first time I saw this)
[YOUTUBE="mlRK-DtcqC0"]Being A Detective Who Talks To Ghosts Not As Exciting As TV[/YOUTUBE]

Some are just jerks though...

PuddleRiver

It's always something...
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w6
Silence of The Lambs still gives me the willies. I can't watch devil themed movies, either.

But overall, I agree, the psycho type movies are the worst. :horor:

Serge

MBTI Type
INXJ
Enneagram
5w6
I LOVE horror movies, nothing scares me that much. Silence of the lamb was a pretty decent horror movie, so was exorcist. I like texas chainsaw massacre. I also deeply enjoyed Saw 1. Saw 1 was just an epic movie to me

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I LOVE horror movies, nothing scares me that much. Silence of the lamb was a pretty decent horror movie, so was exorcist. I like texas chainsaw massacre. I also deeply enjoyed Saw 1. Saw 1 was just an epic movie to me

Yeah nothing really scares me *that much*...I actually got an endorphin rush from watching L'Interieur more than anything because of all of the action...and Martyrs - which is supposed to be horrifying - just made me think, more than anything, as long as I didn't watch that gross skin peeling scene.

I watch many horror films for the atmosphere or for the psychological aspect, or for the rare ghost film that makes the supernatural seem possible, but I definitely do not count Paranormal Activity among those...I'm thinking more along the lines of Don't Look Now from the 70's.

I don't like realistic torture scenes and I am afraid of IRL homicidal maniacs, though.

MBTI Type
INTJ
I don't know if it's actually the scariest, but Alien is my favorite horror movie. 28 Days Later, The Exorcist, Nosferatu and The Blair Witch Project were also scary. Funny Games was an interesting idea but ultimately disappointing and too polemical.

E

Epiphany

The Blair Witch Project

That one is underrated, IMO. It paved the way for a bunch of similar movies with bigger budgets and shittier filmmaking (excluding Paranormal Activity). Plus, all of the publicity it got before its release with the documentary made it an exciting experience; more than your average horror movie.

Clever marketing, indeed.

[YOUTUBE="GVXEsYLKdxc"]Curse of The Blair Witch part 1[/YOUTUBE]

MBTI Type
INTJ
That one is underrated, IMO. It paved the way for a bunch of similar movies with bigger budgets and shittier filmmaking (excluding Paranormal Activity).

Yeah, Blair Witch is one of those movies that was immensely popular at the time but that everyone seems to have disavowed in the meantime. (Titanic, anyone?) But when it came out, that shit was scary.

I'm torn about Paranormal Activity. It was fresh, it was creative, and it was different. But there simply wasn't enough story for a feature. I think it would have been great as a short, but as a feature I think it failed despite having some good qualities.

Serge

MBTI Type
INXJ
Enneagram
5w6
I don't know if it's actually the scariest, but Alien is my favorite horror movie. 28 Days Later, The Exorcist, Nosferatu and The Blair Witch Project were also scary. Funny Games was an interesting idea but ultimately disappointing and too polemical.

Oh gosh, the blair witch project was another amazing horror movie. Also, I'm not a fan of insane amounts of gore ala hostel. It's just...disgusting. It's not terrifying, it's just overdone blood goop on the screen. Try harder next time mr. movie producer.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yeah, Blair Witch is one of those movies that was immensely popular at the time but that everyone seems to have disavowed in the meantime. (Titanic, anyone?) But when it came out, that shit was scary.

I never liked it, not even ten years ago.

I'm torn about Paranormal Activity. It was fresh, it was creative, and it was different. But there simply wasn't enough story for a feature. I think it would have been great as a short, but as a feature I think it failed despite having some good qualities.

I think The Orphan was a much better recent horror film, but it didn't get as much commercial press as Paranormal Activity.

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Funny Games was an interesting idea but ultimately disappointing and too polemical.

Apparently, the whole point of Funny Games was to analyze and point out the numerous cliches in the horror genre. Also, to provide some sort of social commentary on why we, as a society, like violent movies. In the end, it's just boring.

The Shining creeps me out. I love it. But I can't recall the last horror movie that really scared me. :huh:

I think The Orphan was a much better recent horror film, but it didn't get as much commercial press as Paranormal Activity.

I found The Orphan utterly predictable, although the atmosphere was rather good. The ending was drawn out and disappointing.

E

Epiphany

I tend to judge movies, especially suspenseful ones, on how they made me feel the first time I watched it. If it's one of those rare films that gets better every time you watch it, then great. People trash talk movies like Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity now, but in their prime, they stood out. I think the popularity and hype surrounding these movies turned some people off to them because they got their hopes too high. Considering the small budget both films had to work with, I think they outshine most other movies in the horror genre.

Serge

MBTI Type
INXJ
Enneagram
5w6
I don't know why but I had an extremely adverse reaction to Paranormal Activity. It felt cliche, it made me laugh instead of instilling fear in me, and I plain just didn't enjoy the movie. I didn't hear anything about the movie before hand (I stopped watching T.V. at the time, the only thing that I heard about it was that I was going to see it and it was a good movie) How exactly was Paranormal Activity fresh and creative? The only thing that was rather unique that I can recall was the point of view, which was a camera. We didn't see everything, and that added to the suspense. And not just during the 'action' sequences but even the jumps in time can make your mind wander.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I don't know why but I had an extremely adverse reaction to Paranormal Activity. It felt cliche, it made me laugh instead of instilling fear in me, and I plain just didn't enjoy the movie. I didn't hear anything about the movie before hand (I stopped watching T.V. at the time, the only thing that I heard about it was that I was going to see it and it was a good movie) How exactly was Paranormal Activity fresh and creative? The only thing that was rather unique that I can recall was the point of view, which was a camera. We didn't see everything, and that added to the suspense. And not just during the 'action' sequences but even the jumps in time can make your mind wander.

I was already laughing at the ads, so it didn't bode well for the film.

My whole thing was...if you have to show people in the audience reacting to your film to advertise it....something's wrong....deeply wrong.

But I watch a lot of horror movies, and if you do as well, that may have something to do with it. I just can't believe that movie scared anyone. Ever.

Same for Blair Witch.