User Tag List

First 34567 Last

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by Mask Manifest View Post
    That one is underrated, IMO. It paved the way for a bunch of similar movies with bigger budgets and shittier filmmaking (excluding Paranormal Activity). Plus, all of the publicity it got before its release with the documentary made it an exciting experience; more than your average horror movie.

Clever marketing, indeed.

[YOUTUBE="GVXEsYLKdxc"]Curse of The Blair Witch part 1[/YOUTUBE]
    Has anybody watched this entire documentary? It's as eerie as the movie.

YouTube - [Scifi Classic] Curse of the Blair Witch Part 2
    YouTube - [Scifi Classic] Curse of The Blair Witch Part 3
    YouTube - [Scifi Classic] Curse of the Blair Witch Part 4
    YouTube - [Scifi Classic] Curse of the Blair Witch Part 5
    Last edited by Epiphany; 07-02-2010 at 02:45 PM.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I could possibly see a religious person holding this view despite that Abrahamic religions regard human life more importantly than animals. I'm curious how atheists approach this subject, considering they view human beings as a highly evolved species of animal. Nonetheless, I think I'm derailing my own thread.
    I'm not religious. I just think that people are assholes.

However, IRL I don't want to watch anyone suffer, and truthfully, the fact that I expect people to be assholes and do irrational or stupid things often leads me to be more forgiving in real life, not less.

Stephen King is quoted as saying something along the lines of if he didn't write horror novels, he may have been some sort of psychotic because of his past, instead of being a successful person both in career and family.

I think horror is an outlet for some people. A necessary outlet.

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Not to derail further, but I didn't mean any religious implication by the use of "original sin". Just pointing out that all humans have done dickish things while animals are normally seen as incapable of malice, thus making their suffering more of an injustice.
    Even though most animals are omnivores/carnivores and wouldn't hesitate to kill other animals for food, mating, or territory. Under this light, animals don't seem more innocent than humans. Most victims in horror movies aren't murderers themselves who are receiving punishment for their crimes.
    Last edited by Epiphany; 07-02-2010 at 11:42 PM.

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I'm not religious. I just think that people are assholes.

However, IRL I don't want to watch anyone suffer, and truthfully, the fact that I expect people to be assholes and do irrational or stupid things often leads me to be more forgiving in real life, not less.

Stephen King is quoted as saying something along the lines of if he didn't write horror novels, he may have been some sort of psychotic because of his past, instead of being a successful person both in career and family.

I think horror is an outlet for some people. A necessary outlet.
    I'm not judging anyone's taste in entertainment. I was just pointing out what seems to be a contradiction amongst a lot of horror fans.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Even though most animals are omnivores/carnivores and wouldn't hesitate to kill other animals for food, mating, or territory. Under this light, animals don't seem less innocent than humans. Most victims in horror movies aren't murderers themselves who are receiving punishment for their crimes.
    Yeah being more bothered by animal torture than human torture is probably a frame of mind that can't be related to unless you have it.

I just can't do it. I can watch people stab each other, but if someone even hints they're going to microwave a cat, I'll turn the movie off.

Animals are guided by need and instinct. Humans are often guided by much more calculated and sinister motives. It has something to do with human consciousness, which I suppose does go back to original sin, like it or not.

I also think that people who have been hurt a great deal by other humans and not by animals may have this bias.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm not judging anyone's taste in entertainment. I was just pointing out what seems to be a contradiction amongst a lot of horror fans.
    There are people who hate horror movies who prefer animals over people.

Epiphany

Animals are guided by need and instinct. Humans are often guided by much more calculated and sinister motives. It has something to do with human consciousness, which I suppose does go back to original sin, like it or not.
    This is an interesting viewpoint and not one that I necessarily disagree with, although I lean more towards theism than agnosticism. Words such as "sinister" and "evil" refer to an indefinite concept that is somewhat left to interpretation. One could argue from an atheist standpoint that a psychopathic murderer is guided by a natural instinct to kill.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

This is an interesting viewpoint and not one that I necessarily disagree with, although I lean more towards theism than agnosticism. Words such as "sinister" and "evil" refer to an indefinite concept that is somewhat left to interpretation. One could argue from an atheist standpoint that a psychopathic murderer is guided by a natural instinct to kill.
    Right...which is why I'm capable of feeling sympathy for Michael Myers when I watch Rob Zombie's version of Halloween...

All in all, in the grand scheme of things, I intellectually and ethically view all living creatures as products of their biology, upbringing, environment, etc.

Of course, I take a more judgemental view of people who choose to hurt others merely out of a narcissistic need for power or money rather than someone who hurts others because they're a paranoid schizophrenic who was abused practically sense birth.

I do attribute a certain amount of personal responsibility to the intelligent and the sane, which is why I delight in vengeance in some cases, but at the same time can step back and comprehend that sometimes people really don't realize what they're doing...which is ultimately why in real life I tend to not get really offended when people are being...people.

On the other hand, my visceral emotions make me feel rage, hate, jealousy, passion, etc. just like any other person...and I like to have an outlet for those feelings, since they are so strong in me, even though I can understand other viewpoints intellectually.

Okay...I'm just babbling now...I don't know if I've lost you.

Epiphany

Okay...I'm just babbling now...I don't know if I've lost you.
    Not at all. This has been an interesting conversation, but now it's time to go to bed. I think I'll sleep with the covers over my head tonight.

i hate torture as well.. i guess i'm not even much of a horror fan, since my favorite ones are kinda funny like zombie flicks or the creepshow movies (actually, that hitchhiker was pretty f'in scary). i like romanticized horror too, like shelley's frankenstein or bram stoker's dracula.