Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Serge View Post
    I LOVE horror movies, nothing scares me that much. Silence of the lamb was a pretty decent horror movie, so was exorcist. I like texas chainsaw massacre. I also deeply enjoyed Saw 1. Saw 1 was just an epic movie to me
    Yeah nothing really scares me *that much*...I actually got an endorphin rush from watching L'Interieur more than anything because of all of the action...and Martyrs - which is supposed to be horrifying - just made me think, more than anything, as long as I didn't watch that gross skin peeling scene.

I watch many horror films for the atmosphere or for the psychological aspect, or for the rare ghost film that makes the supernatural seem possible, but I definitely do not count Paranormal Activity among those...I'm thinking more along the lines of Don't Look Now from the 70's.

I don't like realistic torture scenes and I am afraid of IRL homicidal maniacs, though.

I don't know if it's actually the scariest, but Alien is my favorite horror movie. 28 Days Later, The Exorcist, Nosferatu and The Blair Witch Project were also scary. Funny Games was an interesting idea but ultimately disappointing and too polemical.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    The Blair Witch Project
    That one is underrated, IMO. It paved the way for a bunch of similar movies with bigger budgets and shittier filmmaking (excluding Paranormal Activity). Plus, all of the publicity it got before its release with the documentary made it an exciting experience; more than your average horror movie.

Clever marketing, indeed.

[YOUTUBE="GVXEsYLKdxc"]Curse of The Blair Witch part 1[/YOUTUBE]

Quote Originally Posted by Mask Manifest View Post
    That one is underrated, IMO. It paved the way for a bunch of similar movies with bigger budgets and shittier filmmaking (excluding Paranormal Activity).
    Yeah, Blair Witch is one of those movies that was immensely popular at the time but that everyone seems to have disavowed in the meantime. (Titanic, anyone?) But when it came out, that shit was scary.

I'm torn about Paranormal Activity. It was fresh, it was creative, and it was different. But there simply wasn't enough story for a feature. I think it would have been great as a short, but as a feature I think it failed despite having some good qualities.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    INXJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I don't know if it's actually the scariest, but Alien is my favorite horror movie. 28 Days Later, The Exorcist, Nosferatu and The Blair Witch Project were also scary. Funny Games was an interesting idea but ultimately disappointing and too polemical.
    Oh gosh, the blair witch project was another amazing horror movie. Also, I'm not a fan of insane amounts of gore ala hostel. It's just...disgusting. It's not terrifying, it's just overdone blood goop on the screen. Try harder next time mr. movie producer.
    Johari/Nohari wall! Thanks in advance for filling it out.

"Taste. I have no taste. I don't like these tiny portions or your artful abortions of sound, sealed with a kiss, slathered in the sauce sarcastic. So go choke on your irony"
    ~
    "Life for you, has been less than kind
    So take a number, stand in line
    We've all been sorry, we've all been hurt
    But how we survive, is what makes us who we are"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Yeah, Blair Witch is one of those movies that was immensely popular at the time but that everyone seems to have disavowed in the meantime. (Titanic, anyone?) But when it came out, that shit was scary.
    I never liked it, not even ten years ago.

I'm torn about Paranormal Activity. It was fresh, it was creative, and it was different. But there simply wasn't enough story for a feature. I think it would have been great as a short, but as a feature I think it failed despite having some good qualities.
    I think The Orphan was a much better recent horror film, but it didn't get as much commercial press as Paranormal Activity.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Funny Games was an interesting idea but ultimately disappointing and too polemical.
    Apparently, the whole point of Funny Games was to analyze and point out the numerous cliches in the horror genre. Also, to provide some sort of social commentary on why we, as a society, like violent movies. In the end, it's just boring.

The Shining creeps me out. I love it. But I can't recall the last horror movie that really scared me.

Quote Originally Posted by marmalade.sunrise View Post
    I think The Orphan was a much better recent horror film, but it didn't get as much commercial press as Paranormal Activity.
    I found The Orphan utterly predictable, although the atmosphere was rather good. The ending was drawn out and disappointing.
    Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it.

Epiphany

I tend to judge movies, especially suspenseful ones, on how they made me feel the first time I watched it. If it's one of those rare films that gets better every time you watch it, then great. People trash talk movies like Blair Witch and Paranormal Activity now, but in their prime, they stood out. I think the popularity and hype surrounding these movies turned some people off to them because they got their hopes too high. Considering the small budget both films had to work with, I think they outshine most other movies in the horror genre.

MBTI
    INXJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

I don't know why but I had an extremely adverse reaction to Paranormal Activity. It felt cliche, it made me laugh instead of instilling fear in me, and I plain just didn't enjoy the movie. I didn't hear anything about the movie before hand (I stopped watching T.V. at the time, the only thing that I heard about it was that I was going to see it and it was a good movie) How exactly was Paranormal Activity fresh and creative? The only thing that was rather unique that I can recall was the point of view, which was a camera. We didn't see everything, and that added to the suspense. And not just during the 'action' sequences but even the jumps in time can make your mind wander.
    Johari/Nohari wall! Thanks in advance for filling it out.

"Taste. I have no taste. I don't like these tiny portions or your artful abortions of sound, sealed with a kiss, slathered in the sauce sarcastic. So go choke on your irony"
    ~
    "Life for you, has been less than kind
    So take a number, stand in line
    We've all been sorry, we've all been hurt
    But how we survive, is what makes us who we are"

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Serge View Post
    I don't know why but I had an extremely adverse reaction to Paranormal Activity. It felt cliche, it made me laugh instead of instilling fear in me, and I plain just didn't enjoy the movie. I didn't hear anything about the movie before hand (I stopped watching T.V. at the time, the only thing that I heard about it was that I was going to see it and it was a good movie) How exactly was Paranormal Activity fresh and creative? The only thing that was rather unique that I can recall was the point of view, which was a camera. We didn't see everything, and that added to the suspense. And not just during the 'action' sequences but even the jumps in time can make your mind wander.
    I was already laughing at the ads, so it didn't bode well for the film.

My whole thing was...if you have to show people in the audience reacting to your film to advertise it....something's wrong....deeply wrong.

But I watch a lot of horror movies, and if you do as well, that may have something to do with it. I just can't believe that movie scared anyone. Ever.

Same for Blair Witch.