User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    SEXY

Default my very own acid trance song

[YOUTUBE="2O_aWwSacUM"]Psytrance Revised[/YOUTUBE]

I just completed this song. I'm proud of how it turned out. It has some flaws, but since I'm not a professional music producer I'm still happy with how it turned out. Tell me what you think about it.
    Last edited by Shimmy; 07-02-2010 at 05:35 PM.
    (removed)

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE

Nice! I will check this out!

I'm an aspiring home producer myself, and salute your efforts.

Right now I am archiving some bad ass techno/trance mix cassette tapes through my DAW's audio interface, so once that is done I will check out your floorfilla.
    --------------------
    Type Stats:
    MBTI -> (E) 77.14% | (i) 22.86% ; (S) 60% | (n) 40% ; (T) 72.22% | (f) 27.78% ; (P) 51.43% | (j) 48.57%
    BIG 5 -> Extroversion 77% ; Accommodation 60% ; Orderliness 62% ; Emotional Stability 64% ; Open Mindedness 74%

Quotes:
    "If somebody asks your MBTI type on a first date, run". -Donna Cecilia
    "Enneagram is psychological underpinnings. Cognitive Functions are mental reasoning and perceptional processes. -Sanjuro

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    [youtube="gVRtm069YrE"]Acid Trance[/youtube]

I just completed this song. I'm proud of how it turned out. It has some flaws, but since I'm not a professional music producer I'm still happy with how it turned out. Tell me what you think about it.
    so excited! will defintely check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Halla74 View Post
    Nice! I will check this out!

I'm an aspiring home producer myself, and salute your efforts.

Right now I am archiving some bad ass techno/trance mix cassette tapes through my DAW's audio interface, so once that is done I will check out your floorfilla.
    super excited about this too!!
    There can’t be any large-scale revolution until there’s a personal revolution, on an individual level. It’s got to happen inside first.
    -Jim Morrison

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    8w7

I'm digging it. It's a tad mundane for my tastes but it's good. Needs a kick ass crazy video to go with it possibly.

Now I'm inspired to work on more noise art...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.” -Nietzsche

MBTI
    SEXY

Thanks for the replies. For those who are interested, I made it using reason 4.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixelholic View Post
    I'm digging it. It's a tad mundane for my tastes but it's good. Needs a kick ass crazy video to go with it possibly.

Now I'm inspired to work on more noise art...
    Yeah, that's the spirit. I was aiming for a rather dark sound, which the acid lead in the end provides. The pads and strings fill it out nicely, making it a bit spacey. I'm still working on the beginning, I don't really like the build-up.
    (removed)

MBTI
    STFU

you should buy ableton live and use it with reason. a match made in heaven.
    "All authority of any kind, especially in the field of thought and understanding, is destructive and evil. Leaders destroy the followers and the followers destroy the leaders. You have to be your own teacher and your own disciple. You have to question everything that man has accepted as valuable, as necessary."
    -
    J.Krishnamurti

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Since I do alot of creative stuff myself, and absolutely hate how difficult it is to get a comprehensive criticism with pros, cons, and explanations for both, I'll try to provide such for yeu XD

Like much of the acid trance genre, it has the key flaw of taking far too long to get going. It's pretty much just a beat and nothing else for a full minute in, then takes nearly half the song to finally incorporate the main elements, just before the 4 minute mark.

This leaves it with the uneasy feeling, that despite being a fairly fast paced song, that it FEELS exceptionally slow.

Once it reaches its' point of climax, it kind of just sits there without variation either, and lacks the standard dip to silence around the 75% mark (about 6 minutes here) that most 8-10 minute long acid trance songs do to break up the repetition.

The overall sound is nice, and quite effective, but the song as a whole seems rather needlessly stretched out for length without reason, and it probably would've been much better, and easier to produce, by simply cutting its' length down to about 3 minutes instead of 8.

Now, that being said, the song itself is good. I rather enjoyed the sound and feel of it, the mixture of foreground and background was nicely implemented, and though I'm not big on music theory, as some of my friends are, I do know whot I like, and this wasn't bad at all.

I just find it seemed far, far too stretched out for duration beyond whot it had content to provide during that timeframe.

Overall, it's good musics, I just think it has no point being 8 minutes long, like alot of trance songs that length. Most don't do anything with the time they have, they just kind of sit on a single repetition for minutes at a time and never go anywhere with it. If yeu have a very nice repetition built in that sounds really good, it's fine to embrace that and showcase it, just try very hard to avoid having it remain in loop for more than 30 seconds at a time tops, without significant alteration of the structure. Add/remove instruments, build up in pace or intensity (sorry for the lack of music terms, I don't know many of them off the top of my head anymore XD ), but don't just sit on the same spot without much deviation.

Now, that being said, the core mechanics behind whot yeu have work well, there's just not enough variation to support an 8 minute song is all. Which's fairly common of an issue with the genre in general I've found.

It's a very good start, though I'd personally suggest a remixed version with greater variation and fluxuations in the intensity and instrument composition, and it'd probably not feel like it's being dragged out nearly as much.

Good work though, I liked it other than that one thing that bothered me ^^

EDIT: Sorry, I was being repetitive myself, just woke up XD

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Since I do alot of creative stuff myself, and absolutely hate how difficult it is to get a comprehensive criticism with pros, cons, and explanations for both, I'll try to provide such for yeu XD

Like much of the acid trance genre, it has the key flaw of taking far too long to get going. It's pretty much just a beat and nothing else for a full minute in, then takes nearly half the song to finally incorporate the main elements, just before the 4 minute mark.

This leaves it with the uneasy feeling, that despite being a fairly fast paced song, that it FEELS exceptionally slow.

Once it reaches its' point of climax, it kind of just sits there without variation either, and lacks the standard dip to silence around the 75% mark (about 6 minutes here) that most 8-10 minute long acid trance songs do to break up the repetition.

The overall sound is nice, and quite effective, but the song as a whole seems rather needlessly stretched out for length without reason, and it probably would've been much better, and easier to produce, by simply cutting its' length down to about 3 minutes instead of 8.

Now, that being said, the song itself is good. I rather enjoyed the sound and feel of it, the mixture of foreground and background was nicely implemented, and though I'm not big on music theory, as some of my friends are, I do know whot I like, and this wasn't bad at all.

I just find it seemed far, far too stretched out for duration beyond whot it had content to provide during that timeframe.

Overall, it's good musics, I just think it has no point being 8 minutes long, like alot of trance songs that length. Most don't do anything with the time they have, they just kind of sit on a single repetition for minutes at a time and never go anywhere with it. If yeu have a very nice repetition built in that sounds really good, it's fine to embrace that and showcase it, just try very hard to avoid having it remain in loop for more than 30 seconds at a time tops, without significant alteration of the structure. Add/remove instruments, build up in pace or intensity (sorry for the lack of music terms, I don't know many of them off the top of my head anymore XD ), but don't just sit on the same spot without much deviation.

Now, that being said, the core mechanics behind whot yeu have work well, there's just not enough variation to support an 8 minute song is all. Which's fairly common of an issue with the genre in general I've found.

It's a very good start, though I'd personally suggest a remixed version with greater variation and fluxuations in the intensity and instrument composition, and it'd probably not feel like it's being dragged out nearly as much.

Good work though, I liked it other than that one thing that bothered me ^^

EDIT: Sorry, I was being repetitive myself, just woke up XD
    Good advice

I find the song a bit too stretched myself as well, but the thing is. I don't really want to shorten it. I initially did want to bring more variation by adding more sound effects, but after struggling with them I just couldn't find any that mixed nicely into the song. I'm hardly happy with the way some of them current ones are sounding right now.

As for breakdowns, I was deliberately trying to avoid them. There is one in the middle that (it's right before the acid lead kicks in). Though I'm not sure, It sounds too short now, but sounds too long if I add another measure(It's a weak point in the song, I know), I could use some input on that.

Do you think adding more crashes and snare rolls during the highlight of the song will for more variation, or will it just distract from the sound too much?
    (removed)

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by r.a View Post
    you should buy ableton live and use it with reason. a match made in heaven.
    I heard about ableton, never worked with it though. What does it do (well)?
    (removed)

MBTI
    SEXY

Quote Originally Posted by Shimmy View Post
    Good advice

I find the song a bit too stretched myself as well, but the thing is. I don't really want to shorten it. I initially did want to bring more variation by adding more sound effects, but after struggling with them I just couldn't find any that mixed nicely into the song. I'm hardly happy with the way some of them current ones are sounding right now.

As for breakdowns, I was deliberately trying to avoid them. There is one in the middle that (it's right before the acid lead kicks in). Though I'm not sure, It sounds too short now, but sounds too long if I add another measure(It's a weak point in the song, I know), I could use some input on that.

Do you think adding more crashes and snare rolls during the highlight of the song will for more variation, or will it just distract from the sound too much?
    Also, the acid lead is getting a bit more distortion and panning.
    (removed)