• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What kind of fiction do you like?

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I start seeing lots of differences between other people's taste in fiction. Some of them claim that only realistic fiction is good, but I have seen many absurdistic story turn into classics. I prefer absurdistic stories myself too. Stories that include things that can happen to anyone, are a bit boring to me. On the other hand I also don't really like absolute fantasy stories. I like stories with strange situations that happen in the everyday world. My grandmother on the other had only likes stories "that can happen to anyone", my other grandmother only likes stories with lots of action and romance and my mother likes everything except cancer books/movies.

Now I wonder if these preferences could be type related. Is it a coincidence that most of the Twilightfans I know are INs or is it very normal that all SJs I know only seem to like realistic, almost everyday stories? What kind of stories (books, movies, etc) do you like most?

Kra

Black Magic Buzzard
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
4w5
One favorite style of mine is Lovecraftian. I love the dark, eerie atmosphere in works of that ilk. The sense that mankind is so small, and that the more powerful elements of macrocosm are nearly forgotten, keeps me coming back.

r.a

meat popsicle
MBTI Type
STFU
i like everything kurt vonnegut and the book geek love by katherine dunn.

Pixelholic

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
8w7
I'm a fan of satire and dystopia. I also like absurdist or existentialist stuff.

LucrativeSid

Classics, science fiction, and sometimes fantasy. I love dystopias, survival stories, tragedies, epic adventures, and inspiring stories. I prefer hard science fiction over soft science fiction. For movies, dramas are probably my favorites. I also love thrillers, especially psychological thrillers. I've never tried to read a thriller, though. I also really love stories that take place over a very long period of time, like a person's entire life.

Sometimes fantasy can go too far, but as far as realism is concerned, I don't have a problem with it. The characters' plights, challenges, feelings, and relationships are still realistic and possible in the real world.

Stanton Moore

morose bourgeoisie
MBTI Type
INFP
I like near-future stuff. I also like very psychologically driven writing like Milan Kundera, and stuff that flows well like Faulkner and Cormac McCarthy- although I think CC's view of humanity is too dark and therefore unrealistic.

Walking Tourist

it's tea time!
MBTI Type
esfp
Enneagram
I like magic realism the best. I especially like the books of Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Isabel Allende.

Katsuni

Priestess Of Syrinx
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w4?
I enjoy a bit of sci-fi/fantasy mixing, such as shadowrun. Realistic fiction, such as Babylon 5, can be amazing, but only if done well... most writers of 'realistic fiction' suck bad, they're far too bland usually.

Altered reality, or things which "COULD" happen are the most interesting, even if they may be a bit unlikely.

Shadowrun is generally my favorite universe though for fiction though, just so much potential in it ^^

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
Interesting, a bit what I expected. Just wish we had some examples of Sensor fiction taste. :D

Reflection

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
I'll read anything I can get my hands on. I read all the labels on the products I buy when I'm bored.

Seriously, though, I'd say I enjoy science fiction and steampunk the most, followed by historical dramas. I'm an avid reader of fantasy books, everything from high to urban (most recent read in this category is The Demon's Covenant, which I finished today - I'm not particularly satisfied, but the first part was good so I'll reserve my judgement until the third and final book is out). I enjoy realism as well, from time to time, although it does tend to depress me somewhat - I prefer to dream about what people could do, as opposed to what they actually do. I get enough of realism as it is.

Noon

[soft] science fiction, fantasy-adventure, futuristic dystopias, and alternative history. Sometimes I like hard scifi, but that's usually when in film.
I really loved Victor Hugo's Notre-Dame de Paris and wouldn't mind other romance/drama books like it, but as an entire genre, not too inclined.

Will2911

MBTI Type
ESTJ
Historical Fiction is by far my favourite Genre. Especially the Aubrey/Maturin novels by the Wonderful Patrick O'Brian.

I also really like Contenporary Fiction, with Ian Banks being a favourite author, along with Irvine Welsh.

I like to read some Childrens Lit as well, not really sure why, but I think it cones from my love of Alices Adventures in Wonderland.

Trentham

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Fantasy tops the list for me. I prefer it with a gritty edge, a la George R. R. Martin.
Now I wonder if these preferences could be type related. Is it a coincidence that most of the Twilightfans I know are INs
Shit-tons of SJs go nuts for Twilight. It's actually a very conventional storyline all the way around.

Polaris

AKA Nunki
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'll read and enjoy a book from almost any genre, although I avoid Science Fiction and High Fantasy. The reason I avoid Science Fiction is because most of it places too much emphasis on technology and setting, at the cost of individual character development. The reason I avoid High Fantasy is because I read the Lord of the Rings once, and I don't need to read it fifty more times; also, High Fantasy places too much emphasis on imaginary beings and made-up spells that don't in any way touch on the real human condition, or if they do, it's just to repeat a common cliche like "Good conquers evil" or "Love always prevails."

Trentham

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
The reason I avoid High Fantasy is because I read the Lord of the Rings once, and I don't need to read it fifty more times; also, High Fantasy places too much emphasis on imaginary beings and made-up spells that don't in any way touch on the real human condition, or if they do, it's just to repeat a common cliche like "Good conquers evil" or "Love always prevails."
Before you give up on fantasy completely, you might want to give this a try.

These books have dragons, wights, giants and other staples of high fantasy...but the stories are all about the people, with very few of the common fantasy clichés.

Queen Kat

The Duchess of Oddity
MBTI Type
E.T.
Enneagram
7w8
I'll read and enjoy a book from almost any genre, although I avoid Science Fiction and High Fantasy. The reason I avoid Science Fiction is because most of it places too much emphasis on technology and setting, at the cost of individual character development. The reason I avoid High Fantasy is because I read the Lord of the Rings once, and I don't need to read it fifty more times; also, High Fantasy places too much emphasis on imaginary beings and made-up spells that don't in any way touch on the real human condition, or if they do, it's just to repeat a common cliche like "Good conquers evil" or "Love always prevails."

I once tried writing a high fantasy story... it ended up being about a boy who grew up in the sewer who has to conquer an enchanted 20 feet high sausage roll that eats people. So it's actually quite hard to write a good high fantasy story. :huh: