User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Star Trek

Oberon

Default Star Trek

Quote Originally Posted by sassafrassquatch View Post
    It's been too long. You can't bring a show back after five years, it wouldn't feel the same.
    Yes and no. They brought back Star Trek. It didn't feel the same.

posts split from Firefly

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    The show returned as The Next Generation...
    Yeah, I'm clear on that.

...which was, after a respective three seasons, several times better than the original series.
    It's arguable. I never cared for the preachy, kum-ba-yah PC tone of TNG. Also, the later series never came up with a character as interesting as Spock.

I will agree that, once the first couple of seasons were behind them, the TNG crew got their production values about a mile higher than those of the original Star Trek.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I never cared for the preachy, kum-ba-yah PC tone of TNG.
    It pains me to tell you this, but the entire franchise enjoyed a six-year golden age following the creative divestment and death of Roddenberry. Fourth season on, utopian talk was usually treated as cant.

Also, the later series never came up with a character as interesting as Spock.
    "Soporific." You meant to use the word "soporific." Brent Spiner runs rings around Leonard Nimoy. Better singer off-set, too.

I will agree that, once the first couple of seasons were behind them, the TNG crew got their production values about a mile higher than those of the original Star Trek.
    TNG had characters. TOS had cutouts decorating Shatner's overwrought performances.

Edit: From the interposing movie era, I'll concede, but still priceless.

Oberon

Oh, you're so assertive, htb. Evidently you believe quite strongly in your own point of view, so I'll leave you to it.

EDIT: Truth be told, I prefer season 2 onward of Babylon 5 to ST:whatever.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Kha-a-a-n!
    Heh.

Oberon

Heh.
    You're misattributing quotations to me.

Oh, and by the way... "Force of Nature" was a seventh-season episode. Don't you tell me that Star Trek PC died with Roddenberry...!

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Which one was that? About the [lesbian] lovers?

I used to be a TNG junkie and thought it worlds better than TOS. And there were some good episodes -- very deeply character-driven episodes. Many of the characters were nicely fleshed out. (And Q deserves and possesses iconic status, I think.)

But eventually I felt like it was not raw enough, simply too neatly polished. That made the show and the characters weak to me. Politically correct cub scouts. I have heard better comments in terms of realistic characters regarding Bablyon 5 (Seasons 2-5) as well as STDSN if I have to refer back to a ST franchise. Even Lost has more "real" characters.

There is still nothing like the adrenaline rush of watching Kirk rumble in the jungle, or the campy exhilaration of listening to him proudly repeat The Declaration of Independence.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Which one was that? About the [lesbian] lovers?
    That's LISBON. It's a city in Portugal! :steam:

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Oh, and by the way... "Force of Nature" was a seventh-season episode. Don't you tell me that Star Trek PC died with Roddenberry...!
    That's right, a kind of galactic warmism, bringing on the "speed limit" which writers tried to acknowledge for some time afterward. PC to the end, perhaps, but less kumbaya; certainly so by the fourth season of Deep Space Nine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    or the campy exhilaration of listening to him proudly repeat The Declaration of Independence.
    I can report that when one is challenged with "Who are you to judge?," the rejoinder "Who do I have to be?" really works.

Yes and no. They brought back Star Trek. It didn't feel the same.

posts split from Firefly
    I meant you can't bring back the same series after it's been off for a few years.