User Tag List

12 Last

Thread: Good RPG games

MBTI
    yupp

Default Good RPG games

SO I'm playing torchlight and i also enjoyed zelda and the FF series and super mario rpg, so what rpg games have you enjoyed. I was recommended dragon age which i'm going to get at some point
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I screwed myself over with Dragon Age. I kept remaking characters halfway through the game and when I finally found a character build I enjoyed I stopped playing because I couldn't play through half of the game for the 10th time.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

^ Yes, Dragon Age: origins. Very nice. Im still playing it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I don't really like the imbalanceness of mages though. I play on the hardest difficulty setting and enjoy having to come up with great tactics and making every second of a battle count using pause extremely often, but without mages it's nearly impossible, and with mages it's ten times easier. :P

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    I don't really like the imbalanceness of mages though. I play on the hardest difficulty setting and enjoy having to come up with great tactics and making every second of a battle count using pause extremely often, but without mages it's nearly impossible, and with mages it's ten times easier. :P
    I haven't used other than a mage so I can't know how well the others are. Mages are great though. Paralyse, inferno, and lightning the enemies always feels great. The power.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

In Dragon Age , I often played as archer and they are the WORST class to start with...

However, by end game, and by extension Dragon Age Awakening, I was literally untouchable. One hit kills from afar every time, breaking bosses defenses, and surviving dragon battles. The Archer is the Magikarp of the game, it sucks ass at first, but give it time and you can get a God. The duel wielding get's you through any close combat in the beginning but eventually you don't even need that.

Not recommended for beginners though, you'll get wrecked.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I my last playthrough I went rogue archer/ranger, with Shale as a tank, Morrigan as a buffer/arcane warrior wielding a 2 handed axe with minor crowd control spells and Alistair as a 2 handed sword dps dealer.

That was actually pretty fun, maybe I'll sometime find the time to finish it with that set up. In previous playthroughs I always went arcane healer on morrigan, but that makes fights to easy. :p

In such games I like tough battles, near wins, etc, that is pretty much where I get my kicks from. Dragon Age Origins storyline isn't very good. A bit linear, no plot twists. Voice overs are awesome, but the storyline isn't that awesome.

At Silently Honest: Arrow of Slaying is the most powerful ability in the game. I've had over 600 damage per hits with it. :P

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

In such games I like tough battles, near wins, etc, that is pretty much where I get my kicks from. Dragon Age Origins storyline isn't very good. A bit linear, no plot twists. Voice overs are awesome, but the storyline isn't that awesome.
    You didn't play it right. The way you can alter the story from play through to play through is staggering. You can literally kill everyone of your characters off before the final battle save for Morrigan. You can change some of their personalities, you can even let the "Bad guy" win over and over again in different situations.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I mean in terms of the main storyline. You still have to go to the same places and achieve roughly the same objectives. Naturally I do have personal dispositions. For example, I will always kill off the Dalish and get the werewolves on my side. But other than that, the differences between achieving either goal, is staggeringly little in terms of gameplay.

I'm spoiled though, for having played Arcanum. Story and non-linear wise.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

I mean in terms of the main storyline. You still have to go to the same places and achieve roughly the same objectives. Naturally I do have personal dispositions. For example, I will always kill off the Dalish and get the werewolves on my side. But other than that, the differences between achieving either goal, is staggeringly little in terms of gameplay.
    But then you have to consider, what would be the alternative?

The game does set a path for you early on and you are already very aware of it. It never claims not to be situational. Just like every other game with a tangible storyline that isn't a sandbox game does. How much flexibility do you give a game while still retaining a story like that? And this game is very story heavy, the journal alone is quite large and comprehensive filled with stories within stories and descriptions of every living thing you encounter but a cat.

Yes, you have to go from point a to another point, but not necessarily point b.

You can go from your camp to any other point you have access too at any time so it's not like you have to do a mission in any particular order, I have never played it the same way twice. Also the attention to character interactions between you and the party and the party amongst themselves is pretty wide if you have the patience to make it more then halfway though the game.